some advice needed please... - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 14-03-2019, 15:19 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...
some advice needed please...

Hi all,

I hope this is OK, I just thought it was a good place to get advice over something I don't really know much about. If not please let me know.

My dad has recently fallen quite ill and he has to sell his Hymer.

A local dealer has offered £17-18K and I thought it a bit low, I appreciate it's subjective on condition and specs, but I wondered if I could ask the forum if its a fair price?? I would just like a "yeah - that's about right" or "nah - it's worth at least £??" - in which case I'll be selling it for him.

It's a Hymer B654 on a 06 plate, 2.8 diesel manual, about 85K on the clock. Well looked after and serviced as per schedules. Very good condition, and spotless inside. It has all the usual Hymer features; 4 berth with fixed bed over the rear cargo hold(?), as well as twin permanent LDV gas bottles, a satellite in a dome system and a large solar panel.

I've borrowed it and it drives very well and is very comfy! Dad has only just told me so I haven't any pictures yet, it's the 25th anniversary model - the picture is generic. But I will be getting some actual ones soon. I know it's a tall order but I would be very grateful for a steer.

Cheers

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hq_P1240369.jpg (58.2 KB, 13 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 14-03-2019, 16:32

Hi Steve and welcome to this very helpful forum.

Sorry to hear about your Dad: hopefully you will be able to spend some quality time with him in the future.

IF you can change your title to something like "is this a good price for 06HymerB654" then those who know about such things will spot it more easily.

For my part, I would remind you that a dealer will need to make a profit and possibly put some things right and offer a warranty and possibly need to consider a part-exchange, to say nothing of tying up £18k in capital for a few months.

Obviously, if you can sell it privately (although you will probably have to negotiate a discount off your desired price), then you should be able to sell it for more.
BUT, are you prepared to respond to time-wasters, problems with cash/cheque/bank-transfer payments which may be fraudulent, etc ?

Good luck - Gordon
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 14-03-2019, 16:50
EJB

My Motorhome: Burstner Nexxo t620G
In top condition and good history I would suggest a sale price of £25000/£30000....Private/Dealer.
Can't find a sample price as they sell exceptionally well!

Ted.
I try and state simple facts in a nice way.

Last edited by EJB; 14-03-2019 at 16:55.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 14-03-2019, 16:59 Thread Starter

@ H1-GVB
That was quick, many thanks and I do appreciate the extras a dealer has to offer and to be honest I think Dad was thinking of it as an easy no hassle path.

@EJB

That's a better figure, I'll give it a shot on some classifieds.

Can a mod please change edit the title for me to H1-GVB's suggestion of "is this a good price for 06 Hymer B654"

Thanks again,
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 14-03-2019, 17:55

My Motorhome: swift sundance 620fb
hi

and welcome

it may be a good idea to let us know where you are based as there are some good dealers around that will offer a fair price

i think that the economic climate may hold things back a little till we get past the B thing

if you are in the south i could recommend a good dealer that buys and also does sale or return that then would get you a better price

if you are interested and in the south please do let me know as i have had to do this a couple of times and they offer a little extra if i let them know it is someone that i know

barry
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 14-03-2019, 18:46

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Yes at £18k. I would snap your hand off especially as it's LHD.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 14-03-2019, 19:25

My Motorhome: Burstner Elegance
I would suggest trying to sell it privately if you are prepared for the additional work that entails. If you aren't aware already then be very careful of the scams that are out there that end up with an owner parting with his / her vehicle without cleared funds.

Peter
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 14-03-2019, 19:36 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynipper View Post
Yes at £18k. I would snap your hand off especially as it's LHD.

Ray.
Sorry, it's a RHD.
The Following User Says Thank You to f001 For This Useful Post:
raynipper (14-03-2019)
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 14-03-2019, 19:45 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by peribro View Post
I would suggest trying to sell it privately if you are prepared for the additional work that entails. If you aren't aware already then be very careful of the scams that are out there that end up with an owner parting with his / her vehicle without cleared funds.
Thanks, I've sold cars before, but nothing this valuable. I would not let let it go without the dosh anyway!

Quick question, would you consider a bank transfer done on a mobile app and confirmed my mobile app as cleared funds? Or is a bankers draft they only way to go?

Cheers
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 14-03-2019, 20:12

My Motorhome: Burstner Elegance
I don't know the answer about bank transfers via a mobile app but I think that it's possible that they can be called back. Obviously your bank can advise. I've accepted bankers drafts in the past but have read that even those can be fraudulent - the last time I accepted one I phoned the issuing bank (Coutts) to ask them to confirm it was genuine. They didn't know how to do that or whether they were allowed to confirm it to me - it was farcical. In the end I accepted it as the buyers seemed genuine (don't all the best conmen!) and I took the view that I would report the car (a bright yellow Lotus) as stolen if they were conning me!
raynipper and f001 like this.

Peter
The Following User Says Thank You to peribro For This Useful Post:
Cazzie (15-03-2019)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page