Hello from China - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 14-03-2019, 04:23 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...nothing yet :(
Hello from China

Hi everyone,
I should start with a big THANKS as i have already been gathering lots of very useful info. from various threads and members.

We are a small family comprised of a Brit dad, a Chinese mum and our 5 year old son who is as yet unencumbered with thoughts of nationality.

After 15 years living in China, it is almost time for me to come home and for our son to start school in Britain. However, before we get bogged down in the reality of all that, we have decided to buy ourselves a motorhome and hit the road. We are planning this summer in the UK and if all goes well then next spring and summer on the continent. We have to return to China this winter and we want to get our son in a school for Sept. 2020 so this is our window of opportunity.

At this stage we are still trying to figure out how much money to spend on the vehicle. I started at a 10K budget but I am now thinking 15-20K might be more realistic.

I have also learnt that layout will be very important in order for our son to travel safely (belts etc) and for us all to sleep well.
I would be very grateful to hear from anyone who has thoughts on what we can get for our money and/or if anyone can recommend anything in particular.

We are very much looking forward to joining the MH community!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 14-03-2019, 07:35

My Motorhome: I drive...Auto Trail Navajo
Personal Aire
Good .morning and welcome. Most of the others will still be 😴 and they are the helpful ones.
Good luck with your MH search and I hope all goes well for your return to the UK.
ChinaNeil likes this.

I'm Jan
We learn something new every day.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 14-03-2019, 07:45

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Welcome China.
Gosh what a change of life in every way. It will be very interesting to keep track of your progress. Yes £15k will be the minimum for a reasonable van to tour. But layout and practicality are vital to decided on first.

Ray.
ChinaNeil likes this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life“s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 14-03-2019, 09:25

My Motorhome: Arapaho
Personal Aire
It's a welcome from me too, getting it right the first time is a big problem as the number of folk to change model very quickly after purchase is high due to a lack of understanding of their real needs.

Best to list what you believe are your priorities in terms of needs and van layout then check the net for what's available for your price point. If you see a particular layout you like good advice is to hire one for a week or two and test it out, it can be expensive but could save you cash in the long run if you make a mistake.

Recommendations are difficult as it's a very personal decision based on likes and needs.

Be sure to read up on vehicle payload restrictions and driving licence requirements before purchase. Take care if buying on the net as scams are common.

There's been much talk on impact of Brexit on Brits married to Foreign Nationals as to their status, checking it out would be advisable as the saga continues.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Terry
raynipper and ChinaNeil like this.

In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.

Testiculi ad Brexitam
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 14-03-2019, 09:26

My Motorhome: 2000 Autotrail Mohican on Sprinter base
Personal Aire
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Hi Neil, and welcome to MHF, I am sure there will be lots of suggestions to confuse your choice.

We prefer the front lounge, central kitchen layout, with the bathroom at the rear.

One option which may not get mentioned, regardless of the layout, you can get a duel seat instead of a single passenger seat so all can sit up front and enjoy the drive, this allows the choice of layout to not be affected by needing a belted seat in the rear for the youngster.

This does mean of course that you would not have access to the habitation area from the cab, unless you are quite slim or can climb over.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pudsey_Bear For This Useful Post:
ChinaNeil (15-03-2019)
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 14-03-2019, 10:15

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
Welcome from sunny France too...

Sounds like a great plan and the opportunities and experiences are limitless BUT do your research into as many aspects as possible before committing- otherwise it can be an expensive mistake.

If you get the chance to visit a Motorhome show before buying you will get the chance to see a much wider range and perhaps walk around layouts that you would have ignored.

Most MH owners are always willing to show off their pride and joy and explain why they made that choice - most shows have areas beside them for people to stay in their MH and walking around there as well as the show could reap massive benefits.

£15k will give much choice but as others have said beware of fleabay etc as there are too many incidents of scams which can trap the unwary (and the wary) too efficiently. There are many FarceBook groups for MH owners which can also be very useful in your choice.

Do keep asking questions - when you stop needing to ask it is time to give up.... We joined here 14 years ago and have found the advice to be first rate. There are many people who can give specific advice about where to go for virtually anything from left handed screwdrivers to tartan paint and everything in between.

Just ask. 🤔 😁

Remember Jo Cox and what she stood for.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk
The Following User Says Thank You to Penquin For This Useful Post:
ChinaNeil (15-03-2019)
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 14-03-2019, 10:19

My Motorhome: Arapaho
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penquin View Post
Welcome from sunny France too...

Sounds like a great plan and the opportunities and experiences are limitless BUT do your research into as many aspects as possible before committing- otherwise it can be an expensive mistake.

If you get the chance to visit a Motorhome show before buying you will get the chance to see a much wider range and perhaps walk around layouts that you would have ignored.

Most MH owners are always willing to show off their pride and joy and explain why they made that choice - most shows have areas beside them for people to stay in their MH and walking around there as well as the show could reap massive benefits.

£15k will give much choice but as others have said beware of fleabay etc as there are too many incidents of scams which can trap the unwary (and the wary) too efficiently. There are many FarceBook groups for MH owners which can also be very useful in your choice.

Do keep asking questions - when you stop needing to ask it is time to give up.... We joined here 14 years ago and have found the advice to be first rate. There are many people who can give specific advice about where to go for virtually anything from left handed screwdrivers to tartan paint and everything in between.

Just ask. 🤔 😁
Now I would be interested in the tartan paint Dave.

Oh Neil I forgot to say we can have a bit of fun here too.

Terry
ChinaNeil likes this.

In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.

Testiculi ad Brexitam
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 14-03-2019, 10:41

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Neil

I copied this from another forum where I posted it.

It may be a starting point for you

Welcome also

First of all do not be frightened by the decision making.

Just work through a logical process

I suggest starting with some questions to yourselves as to:-

How many people - just you two? kids? g/kids? guests?

Type of camping? only campsites? wildcamping? mixture?

Climate? Skiing? Morrocco? Summer/Winter?

Licences - do one/both have C1(over 3.5t)

What activities do you want to do when away - scooter/M/C, pushbikes, canoeing, paragliding etc.?

Where will you want to park it at home/storage? dimensions available?

Do you want to sleep in double or single beds?

What is your budget?

I may have left out some questions, but until you can answer these sort of questions you are ill-equipped to go looking.

You need to be able to answer these questions so that you can write a 'Specification', which will detail those things that are essential, and by default not necessary. I found that by doing so it concentrated my mind on what models to look at, but also by showing it to salesmen it told them 2 things

- I am a serious buyer

- don't waste my(and your) time showing me unsuitable models.

You may think this approach is too analytical. My personal justification for it is that it lead me to buying(privately) a Niesmann&Bischoff Arto 69GL at 6 years old with 16,000 miles for £27.5K - a well-built German make. It was my first MH and I still have it and very pleased with it after 10 years and will not be selling soon. It would now sell for £24-5K, so almost no depreciation.

I tell you my story to counter those who say you have to have 2-3 MHs before you find the right one. For me swapping MHs is an expensive way of learning.

My approach is - Research, Research..... and then more Research

When you can answer the questions above come back to me and I will tell you why I suggest you decide on those answers.

Good luck.

Geoff
The Following User Says Thank You to nicholsong For This Useful Post:
ChinaNeil (15-03-2019)
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 14-03-2019, 10:42

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Personal Aire
Welcome to the forum. You larger budget is about what I spent 11 years ago and our vans spent half of the last decade touring Europe. Layout is key as is payload (which is how much stuff you can carry legally). Dont forget to budget for other things you might need. Solar Panels, refillable gas system etc. Maybe even satellite TV although its limited in Europe these days.

Just a thought (and people will groan at this) but if your planning the whole of the following spring and summer touring mainland Europe keep an eye on Brexit as if its a no deal you will be limited to 90 days max in any 180 as a British citizen.

Good luck and post any links to vans you like on here for advice.
ChinaNeil likes this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 14-03-2019, 17:25

My Motorhome: Bessacarr E725
Welcome to the forum, Neil. A very nice introduction from you.

May I recommend you become a subscriber as you will quickly reach your post allowance otherwise and miss out on a lot that the forum has to offer.

Good luck with your enquiries, sounds like you are a sensible chap. Time spent on research can prevent expensive mistakes, and many people change their vans soon after purchase because they didn't give sufficient thought to things like layout.
nicholsong and ChinaNeil like this.

I'm daft and proud of it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page