Hello and Scotland question - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 21:44 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive Swift Escape
Hello and Scotland question

Hi,
We retired last year and bought our first motorhome, a Swift Escape. We had a great trip to France in September. We had a travel plan but loved the freedom to move on or not as we liked! Were now planning to visit Scotland (another first!) and am hoping someone may be able to offer some advice.
So far the itinerary looks like this, with a few nights in each: Loch Lomond, Glencoe, Isle of Skye by the bridge, coming back by ferry to Mallaig and driving to Fort William to stay at the Glen Nevis site. From there, we want to go to the Isle of Mull but Id like some advice about which ferry port to use: Kilchoan or Lochaline. Kilchoan would make sense because wed like to stay overnight at Tobermory anyway but Im wondering what the roads are like on either of these two routes. Im not keen on very steep or twisty roads unless theres no choice and the wife can be a nervous passenger!
Then wed come back again by the ferry to Loch Lomond again to start our journey south.
mossy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 10:07

My Motorhome: Autocruise Augusta
Hi welcome to the forum i cant help with the Scotland questions but maybe someone who can will be along to give you some info, i hope they do as i am thnking about doing a similar trip.

Dave

A computer beat me at chess once but it was no match at kick boxing
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 10:13

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Welcome to the forum mossy.

I haven't been to Mull so no help there but there are quite a few island hoppers on here who will be able to help.

Scotland in general is a lovely place to visit with the MH - avoiding midgey season of course!

Jean

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 11:08 Thread Starter

We're going in May precisely to avoid midges, as the Internet said they don't appear till June. Then my sister-in-law said she went (late) May a few years ago and was bitten quite badly! I hope we're luckier. We plan to go early May for about 3 weeks.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 12:03

Hahaha - and with the climate changing the way it is, who knows when midgey season will be this year.

Avon Skin-so-soft and one of these electronic tennis racquets - not sure if they work with midges though; great with mozzies

Jean
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 13:27

My Motorhome: Autosleepers Kingham
Alternative route

There are significant stretches of single-track road to get to both of your chosen ports, both of which will have steep, twisty sections. Neither road is particularly suitable for the faint-hearted in a large vehicle (either driver or passenger), but, can be, and are, frequently used by motorhomes and other large vehicles in any case.

Ask yourself the question. Would I / we be happy / confident meeting a delivery truck / another motorhome coming the other way on a single track road running along the side of a loch?

If the answer is "No", then I'd suggest an easier alternative is to head south from Glencoe on the A82 to Tyndrum and then west on the A85 to Oban and take the ferry from there to Craignure. From memory, you'd still have some single-track to negotiate to get to Tobermory from Craignure but it is an easier road to drive.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 18:47

Welcome to the forum Tommy, and thanks for such an informative first post!

I hope you'll stay around and give and take with the knowledge and expertise.

Jean
The Following User Says Thank You to jiwawa For This Useful Post:
aldra (13-03-2019)
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 13-03-2019, 10:11

Thank you for the welcome.

I've just noticed that the OP will be travelling from Fort William and not Glencoe as per my previous reply.

With that being the case, whilst my route mentioned previously is still an option, it'd probably be quicker to take the A828 at South Ballachulish (turn left at the mini roundabout immediately after crossing the Ballachulish Bridge) and stay with that until you meet the A85 at Connel (turn left at the T Junction immediately after crossing the Connel Bridge), taking that to Oban for the Craignure ferry.

Tommy.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 13-03-2019, 11:00 Thread Starter

Thanks for the heads up, Tommy. I wondered if that might be the case but I had seen them described as scenic. Are the views worth it over and above what we would see elsewhere?

Jiwawa - have already started stocking up on the Avon! My sister-in-law described them as "aligators"!!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 13-03-2019, 12:12

All of the options have scenic sections with loch and / or mountain views in places.

The difference is, on the A82/A85 or A828 options, you'll have the opportunity to peek at the views as you're driving plus there'll be laybys to pull over in for a longer look.

On the single track routes there'll be far fewer opportunities to take in the views due to the nature of the road and few, if any, places to pull over (DO NOT park in the passing places!)

It really depends on what you prefer - single carriageway roads with straights and easy bends or tight, twisty, up-and-down single track roads.

I'm not trying to put you off the single track roads, but, they can be challenging in any vehicle, never mind a large motorhome, and must be treated with caution.

Also, remember that your average speed will be significantly reduced on the single track routes - most of it will be driven in 2nd, maybe 3rd, gear. Also, your sat nav / mapping app is likely to calculate the expected driving time based on it being an A road, not on it being single track, so, take it with a pinch of salt (I'm happy to be corrected on this point).

Tommy.

Last edited by Tommyk17; 13-03-2019 at 12:20.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page