Introduction and first question - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

4Likes
  • 1 Post By Hew26
  • 1 Post By Hew26
  • 2 Post By Hew26

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 26-02-2019, 11:43 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...
Introduction and first question

Hello to you all.
We are a freshly early retired couple looking at buying our first motorhome. We have been motor and sailboaters for too many years and have decided that we would prefer to travel around UK and mostly Europe faster, hence the motorhome dream.
We are in Spain until beginning April so have missed the NEC but considering the East of England motorhome and campervan show to view some of the models we are interested in. We have hired a sunlight 6.8m van whilst in Spain and loved it so need to get one to start our adventures later this year.

I have been lurking on this site for a while and have gained some good knowledge already from you friendly and experienced lot, but not had a good question to ask or one that hasnít already been asked previously.

So my first question is
Would the East of Englandís show be of use to show us some Carthago, Niesmann & Bischoff, Homer and Frankia motorhome. We would want to use it for a few months at a time so considering 6.8 to 7.7 length size.

We are based near Eastbourne when back in UK.
JanHank likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 26-02-2019, 12:33

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,017 Times in 882 Posts
Personal Aire
Welcome to the forum. Quite a few of us came from boating backgrounds including myself. I ran both for a while but in the end got rid of the boat.

Those are top end marques but no idea if they will be at the show but there will be a few owners on here. The only advice I will give you is check as many layouts as you can and make sure you get one you can live with and also make sure it has enough payload for you, your passengers and all your gear.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 26-02-2019, 12:36

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Welcome and imho you have started the right way by renting to see if it's for you. It's almost impossible to get it right first time so my warning would be don't commit too much to the first van as it's likely you will want to change it before too long.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our lifeīs savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 26-02-2019, 20:25 Thread Starter

Thanks, renting just for a week has given us an idea of what we want and donít want in terms of layout.
We have tried the drop down bed and rear fixed bed in the rental so have decided we would prefer fixed singles at the back with ability to make them a double.
Also separate shower and toilet
Mercedes chassis and engine preferred but maybe difficult given the choice
Payload will be important to get right as we would like to carry a light scooter to take the both of us around and keep this in a garage.
Iím asking a lot but the marques Iím looking at have a lot of choice although too much at times.
raynipper likes this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 27-02-2019, 02:42

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,017 Times in 882 Posts
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hew26 View Post
Thanks, renting just for a week has given us an idea of what we want and donít want in terms of layout.
We have tried the drop down bed and rear fixed bed in the rental so have decided we would prefer fixed singles at the back with ability to make them a double.
Also separate shower and toilet
Mercedes chassis and engine preferred but maybe difficult given the choice
Payload will be important to get right as we would like to carry a light scooter to take the both of us around and keep this in a garage.
Iím asking a lot but the marques Iím looking at have a lot of choice although too much at times.
Very very important in that case. Good calculator at the bottom of this page https://www.practicalmotorhome.com/a...g-and-payloads

As your looking to carry it in the garage rather than on a rack you have a bit more scope and I would suspect with the Marques your looking at you should be ok but do your homework on the weights as you may have to discount many vans if you want to carry a bike.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 27-02-2019, 09:40

My Motorhome: Pilote 733 FJ
Reasonably close to home for you an excellent dealer in Portsmouth http://www.southdownsmotorcaravans.co.uk/home.php

They deal in some of the marques you mention and normally have a good selection to view also web site is excellent with multi photos of their vehicles, friendly people.
For a good selection of Hymer near to you try https://premiermotorhomes.uk/, I have no personal knowledge of them but seem a decent dealer.

The shows are also an excellent idea most marques will be represented and the East of England one is always good, sadly often spoiled by the poor weather.

John
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 27-02-2019, 12:08

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Whether buying new or 2nd-hand, remember that any 'toys' - e.g. 2nd battery, solar panel, extra/bigger gas bottles etc etc will eat into whatever they say the payload will be.

Also, if you're getting a MH >3.5T (which sounds likely) your driving license has to cover you for this - C1 I think.

Jean
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 27-02-2019, 20:39 Thread Starter

Thanks for all who have given me some good advice. The calculator I will give a go, especially as Jiwawa mentions a second battery, solar panels, gas bottles all the things I would want. Eurajohn those links will be useful.
Will come back with more questions and hopefully update when close to purchase.

Steve
eurajohn and JanHank like this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 28-02-2019, 12:01

If you are looking to place a scooter into a "garage", make sure that it will take the weight, as some models have "large, easily-accessed cupboards" which look like, and may be called, "garage".

Gordon
The Following User Says Thank You to H1-GBV For This Useful Post:
Hew26 (28-02-2019)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page