Hi Im New with insight to a dilemma, Hello! - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 20-07-2017, 13:12 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...
Hi Im New with insight to a dilemma, Hello!

Hi to all the likeminded travellers. My wife & I have been searching for our 1st motorhome. I have in the past converted two vans into campervans. I converted an Lt28 which being my first was a beauty if I say so myself My second was an old traffic 13 seater Bus that one I put a shower in as well. But that was a few years ago when the rules were different. Today we are searching for that motorhome to last us a few years, nothing big our budget affords us around the 12-15K mark. After months of searching our idea of what would be the perfect MH for us has changed so many times. About the only thing that has not changed in our search is the fact we must park on the side of the road some feet away from our house front & so feel a max 20ft MH is certain due to people may protest about the parking area taken plus its easier to park in and around. So, in our quest to find the perfect match we have searched via trade, dealers, private, eBay,Preloved, auto trader & not forgetting Gumtree. Itís a mine field. So afterall the searching we believe we know what we want in a MH so made a list of 26 requirements some of which are not ridged but about 19 are a must. Yesterday a MH ticked 22 of the boxes. One box not ticked was the engine size. I wanted at least 2.0 Turbo this auto stratus has a 1.9. Everything was ticked including below 60K miles, year 2003, (at least 2000 wanted) awning, rear bike rack and also nice looking cab. Etc. etc. etc. If only it was at least a 2.0 TURBO. To view & test drive its 3hrs away. What a dilemma Has anyone else had such a dilemma? Of course what a silly question. I think we will keep on looking. But bet your bottom dollar to gain that turbo,,,,, I will have to sacrifice other boxesanyway hello to all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 20-07-2017, 13:17

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
I observed in general that the older 1.9L powered vans were always much cheaper due to the compromise on power.
We ended up with the 2.8L and unless you need to tow a car it works well.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our lifeīs savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 20-07-2017, 19:12

My Motorhome: Pilote 733 FJ
The only thing worse (for me) than an underpowered motorhome is one without air con on a hot day.

Think long and hard getting a small engined van!.

John

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 20-07-2017, 19:30

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Hi HH and welcome!

I like your approach, with the list of tick boxes. I'm soon to get my new van and one of my must-haves got lost in the investigation (double floor) and maybe I'll discover others as I start to use it. Your system would have worked well for me!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 20-07-2017, 20:26

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
Only one way to find out.

Test drive it and see how it feels. Please bear in mind that when you do it will be at its lightest weight and by the time you have added all your stuff it will almost certainly be near its max weight.

Many years ago I (briefly) owned a Pilote on a Renault Trafic chassis. It had a 1.9 non turbo engine. On a local steep hill (Abbottsbury Hill in Dorset) I had to drop down into first gear!! (Didn't keep it long at all!)

That engine is certainly not the most powerful so if you are thinking of continental touring with it you are going to find it a bit of a slog up some of the loooong inclines. Likewise if going continental I would consider cab air-con an absolute essential.

Like your approach of making a list though, many owners don't and end up with the wrong vehicle.

Andy

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, itís in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 20-07-2017, 21:07

My Motorhome: Flogged it.
Hi

I think with your knowledge then wonder if you have time to convert another one to your exact spec, that way all 26 boxes would be ticked.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 20-07-2017, 21:27 Thread Starter

Hi thanks for comment, I have added air con to the list and the idea of 1.9 straight is not an option for me I live in Plymouth & one exit is Holden Hill which is ok down but up ,,, don't fancy the dropping of gears to make it home lol.
As for converting another well I did think about it but the rules have all changed now ins are not happy with just photos of work done to insure anymore they want blood.
Mr Plodd, as for test drive as I mentioned the vehicle is 3 hrs away. and your right the weight would be at its lowest. besides its along way to go just to prove what one is pretty sure about anyway.
What I can not understand though we like the streamlined `bullet` shape of the over cab from around year 2000 then in 2002-3 it appears to shape shift to a brick wall cant understand the logic. also why didn't Peugeot keep to one engine type through out the ranges bigger the van bigger the power required starting with at least 2.0 T Ive noticed big 2,5 TD on a small van & 1.9 on a big one what's that all about?? any way nice chatting back latter after another search of the press. lol

Last edited by HIGHWAY HAWK; 20-07-2017 at 21:41. Reason: reply to all
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 20-07-2017, 22:13

My Motorhome: Pilote 733 FJ
Basic answer to the various engine size versus van size is one of cost, the smaller engines were always the cheapest option, usually allied to lower spec all round for the base vehicle.

That particular statement doesn't hold quite so true nowadays with the trend towards more efficient smaller capacity engines.

John
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 20-07-2017, 22:13

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Hello again 'Hawk'.
I am contemplating selling my 2000 Hobby 750 tag 2.8i DTD with 48,000km. for €20,000.
It has virtually every conceivable extra. Let me know if your interested but it's in France and French reg.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our lifeīs savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 21-07-2017, 08:36 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynipper View Post
Hello again 'Hawk'.
I am contemplating selling my 2000 Hobby 750 tag 2.8i DTD with 48,000km. for Ä20,000.
It has virtually every conceivable extra. Let me know if your interested but it's in France and French reg.

Ray.
Hi Ray. just looked at similar and very nice but the length,,, my neighbours would go loopy taking up the parking lol thanks for the offer.

Eurojohn. I see what your saying I suppose we tend to look more at the living area and don't always think of the economics put to what you don't see.
Hawk
eurajohn and eurajohn like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to HIGHWAY HAWK For This Useful Post:
raynipper (21-07-2017)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page