Hi Im New with insight to a dilemma, Hello! - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 21-07-2017, 12:50

My Motorhome: Hymer B544SL
My first motorhome years ago was a Compass powered by a 1.9 litre engine. On my first trip abroad I was often embarrassed whilst attempting to pass lorries on an incline, seemed to be okay until I got near to the cab on the artic, then the vehicle lost speed and I had to drop back to overtake when on the level. It was very underpowered, so much so that I part exchanged it for a 2.5 turbo powered Pilote, no further issues. As it was only 3 months old I was lucky in that the part exchange offer was the same as the original price so it didn't hit me in the pocket.

Do take an extended test drive before you part with your cash and try to include a steep hill if possible.

When you expect nothing everything is a gift
The Following User Says Thank You to javea For This Useful Post:
HIGHWAY HAWK (23-07-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 22-07-2017, 17:59

My Motorhome: Laika H680 Ecovip
Whilst looking for our first van we test drove a Compass on a 1.9 engine. The van fitted everything we thought we wanted, was also local and a decent price. Spent days pondering over it and eventually walked away. I think that I knew that the engine wasn't big enough and tried to convince myself that it would be fine, it wouldn't have been, we have struggled with the 2.8 turbo in some of the places we have explored over the years and that little Compass would have never made it up to them.

Don't Treat the Joke as a Job now available on Kindle.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...=1&*entries*=0
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 23-07-2017, 14:48 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geriatricbackpacker View Post
Whilst looking for our first van we test drove a Compass on a 1.9 engine. The van fitted everything we thought we wanted, was also local and a decent price. Spent days pondering over it and eventually walked away. I think that I knew that the engine wasn't big enough and tried to convince myself that it would be fine, it wouldn't have been, we have struggled with the 2.8 turbo in some of the places we have explored over the years and that little Compass would have never made it up to them.
I can understand from the same experience all that you say,
hawk
eurajohn and eurajohn like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page