Good day from down under - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 03:11 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Pilote G742 Explorateur Diamond edition
Personal Aire
Send a message via Skype™ to rws4711
Good day from down under

I have been a member of this forum previously when I owned an Itineo 720 purchased in the Uk, and used for 15 moths travelling through Europe before shipping the vehicle back to Australia. after we sold the Motorhome we purchased a Safari Trek in the USA and spent 14 months exploring America over a 3 years period. Three months ago we swopped the Trek for a Hymer B 564 in England and drove it to Germany where it's waiting for our return in a farmers barn. We will arrive in Europe in April and then get the vehicle ready for a journey in Germany , Italy and Scandinavia.
I hope it is ok to add a question to my introduction
The hymer is a B564 1999 German model but bought in the U.K. So the headlights are for left hand drive. Is it possible to adjust them so I can drive on the continent or do I need them to be replaced as I will register the van in Germany and have to get over the TÜV.

Rudi & Cherryl
Walzing Matilda around the world
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 08:36

My Motorhome: Autotrail Dakota Super Lowline
Personal Aire
Hi Rudi,

Welcome back to MHF.

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to you question but I'm sure someone will be able to help. We've a number of Hymer owners on the forum so hopefully one of them may know about the headlights.

Good luck with your planning, sounds like a great adventure!!

Phil
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 09:02

My Motorhome: 2013 Hymer 680 MB
Dependent on the age of the van, they would be easy or awkward to adjust, but either way no need for new headights.

tony

WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion

Academia and government artificially select for particular traits, among which is a lack of life experience. This is why it's possible for a person to be exceptionally bright while failing to grasp something as rudimentary as supply and demand.

Intellectuals: All engine, no map.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 09:04

My Motorhome: Pilote 740C Sensation
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by rws4711 View Post
I hope it is ok to add a question to my introduction
The hymer is a B564 1999 German model but bought in the U.K. So the headlights are for left hand drive. Is it possible to adjust them so I can drive on the continent or do I need them to be replaced as I will register the van in Germany and have to get over the TÜV.
A bit confused. If the headlights are as you say for LHD then they will already be set for continental driving. Did you mean they are currently set for RHD? If so and they cannot be adjusted then it should be relatively easy to source a LHD set in Germany.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 09:06

My Motorhome: Arapaho
Personal Aire
Not sure if this is for your model but maybe worth a look here..........

http://hymerinfo.com/index.php/techn...ght-adjustment

Terry

The people who passed off a pair of gloves as *two* items of PPE may not be entirely honest.

'Get Brexit Done' anagram - BEING EXTORTED

I'm a Euro Unionist, Testiculi ad Brexitam

Brexit: the incapable in pursuit of the unobtainable to satisfy the delusional. (Edwin Hayward)

In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 13:14

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayc View Post
A bit confused. If the headlights are as you say for LHD then they will already be set for continental driving. Did you mean they are currently set for RHD? If so and they cannot be adjusted then it should be relatively easy to source a LHD set in Germany.
Possibly he meant for driving on the left rather than LHD Ray, these upside down folk may get confused when they're the right way up

Personally I'd have bought a LHD van unless it's going to live upside down eventually.
rayc and rayc like this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 13:16 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Pilote G742 Explorateur Diamond edition
Personal Aire
Send a message via Skype™ to rws4711
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayc View Post
Left hand drive means the UK where the hymer was registered but I will use it in Germany and the rest of Europe therefore right hand drive.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 13:24

My Motorhome: 2013 Hymer 680 MB
Quote:
Left hand drive means the UK where the hymer was registered but I will use it in Germany and the rest of Europe therefore right hand drive.
To clear up this confusion:

If when standing in the van, looking at the windscreen, is the steering wheel on the left OR right hand side?

tony
rayc and rayc like this.

WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion

Academia and government artificially select for particular traits, among which is a lack of life experience. This is why it's possible for a person to be exceptionally bright while failing to grasp something as rudimentary as supply and demand.

Intellectuals: All engine, no map.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 14:08

My Motorhome: Pilote 740C Sensation
Personal Aire
Quote:
In order to be helpful and not confuse the RHD/LHD deignation: In the UK we drive on the left and vehicles are RHD [same as Australia]. In Germany and the rest of Europe they drive on the right and have LHD vehicles.

Anyway I think you mean that currently the MH is set for UK driving i.e dips to the left towards the side of the road and you wish to convert them to continental i.e. nominally dips to the right towards their side of the road.

Last edited by rayc; 08-11-2016 at 14:14.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 14:18

Your Hymer's previous owner might have had the headlights replaced for UK driving - perhaps for a UK MOT..........we did not bother for our (LHD) Hymer ....so all we had to do was buy the correct beam benders.

In UK we used beambenders, when over the Channel we removed them!

All you should need to do is buy beambenders......either UK (RHD) or Continental (LHD) vehicle ones.... if you are unable to adjust your headlights.

Sundial

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page