Is your van tested correctly - MOT class 4 or 7? - Page 3 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 21-04-2018, 18:03

My Motorhome: I drive...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tviall View Post
I can't believe that I have had my van for 3 years already and it's now due it's first MOT test.

All motorhomes are Class 4, or at least that's what I thought.

I have seen come correspondence from the DoT/VOSA that says that if you carry non essential camping equipment in your van you are effectively a goods vehicle and should therefore be tested appropriately. In my case, a 5 tonne Autotrail Cheiftain, this would be a Class 7 test.

Up to now I just used my 'van garage for storing the BBQ, chairs etc but more recently I carry my scooter in there and a friend of mine stores his golf clubs in there. Both items could be regarded as "non essential".

So now I have some questions and would like some guidance from the Police/Industry.

The letter from DOT/VOSA makes it quite clear that if I carry a bag of golf clubs in the back of my van I should get my first MOT done after it's first year and every year thereafter and it should be a Class 7 test.

But, if I assume that all motorhomes are Class 4 and test it as a class 4 would the police stop me for not having the appropriate MOT certificate if when they stopped me I had golf clubs in the back?

Does anyone know if anyone has been stopped?

Are there any police online who could shed some light on what they would do if they stopped a Class 4 MOT tested motorhome and found a scooter on the back?

Any help would be gratefully received.

Tony
I am an MOT tester.

We can only test a vehicle as it is presented regardless what is registered as.

for example. if a customer comes in for a test in a motorhome with non essential camping accessories such as your scooter. then we have to test it as a goods vehicle as you are not coming to us for a holiday arent you. however, if you came to use for an MOT with a motorhome and all the was inside was bedding and cleaning materials. then it would be tested as it is in situ under a class 4 MOT. this will not effect the MOT on the vehicle if you were to go on holiday and have a scooter, golf clubs and any other items in your motorhome. your class 4 MOT will remain valid up until its expiry date no matter what you carry inside to go with you on holiday.

my advice to anyone in your case is to bring your motorhome with minimum items inside as possible. if it is full of camping equipment, then that is fine. a scooter is not camping equipment, although you may wish to take one with you to use on holiday.

I hope this makes sense.

Steve
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen campbell For This Useful Post:
Pudsey_Bear (16-06-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 21-04-2018, 18:52

do you realise this thread is 7 years old

pagey
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 21-04-2018, 21:13

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
But it's still good info!

And welcome Steve if I haven't already.
randonneur and randonneur like this.

Jean

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 21-04-2018, 21:16

My Motorhome: Arapaho
Personal Aire
And it's a welcome from me too.

I'm sure you can impart some good info here based on your experience.

Terry

In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.

Testiculi ad Brexitam
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 21-04-2018, 21:34

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen campbell View Post
I am an MOT tester.

We can only test a vehicle as it is presented regardless what is registered as.

for example. if a customer comes in for a test in a motorhome with non essential camping accessories such as your scooter. then we have to test it as a goods vehicle as you are not coming to us for a holiday arent you. however, if you came to use for an MOT with a motorhome and all the was inside was bedding and cleaning materials. then it would be tested as it is in situ under a class 4 MOT. this will not effect the MOT on the vehicle if you were to go on holiday and have a scooter, golf clubs and any other items in your motorhome. your class 4 MOT will remain valid up until its expiry date no matter what you carry inside to go with you on holiday.

my advice to anyone in your case is to bring your motorhome with minimum items inside as possible. if it is full of camping equipment, then that is fine. a scooter is not camping equipment, although you may wish to take one with you to use on holiday.

I hope this makes sense.

Steve
That wording I have highlighted does not make sense to me .

Previous quotes on this thread have suggested that DVSA criteria for differentiating between Class 4 and Class 7 are based on whether the items are for commercial purposes - which would make it in law a 'Living Van'

Would you like to comment on the legal aspect of that and not just tell us what you would do?

Geoff
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 21-04-2018, 23:03

My Motorhome: Arapaho
Personal Aire
Geoff he's a MOT tester giving practical advice from a testers perspective, therefore what he does under direction of his management could potentially impact some of us.

He's not a legal eagle and should not be expected to get into the line by line detail, that's your speciality.

I have had an occasion to query fleet failures due to what testers said were excessive tolerances on artic 5th wheel linkages, the guys were only following incorrect information given to them by the test centre management. It was the management who interpreted the regulations incorrectly and hadn't updated the testers to the new tolerances. Even at that I had to get the unit manufacturer to provide the new spec for the tolerances.

Terry
randonneur and randonneur like this.

In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.

Testiculi ad Brexitam
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 22-04-2018, 09:26

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dghr272 View Post
Geoff he's a MOT tester giving practical advice from a testers perspective, therefore what he does under direction of his management could potentially impact some of us.

He's not a legal eagle and should not be expected to get into the line by line detail, that's your speciality.

I have had an occasion to query fleet failures due to what testers said were excessive tolerances on artic 5th wheel linkages, the guys were only following incorrect information given to them by the test centre management. It was the management who interpreted the regulations incorrectly and hadn't updated the testers to the new tolerances. Even at that I had to get the unit manufacturer to provide the new spec for the tolerances.

Terry
Terry

I am trying to find out what he is saying are the rules, and certainly the meaning of the words I highlighted are unclear.

We do not know whether he is just a tester or is hbimself management.

I do not know the training regime for them, but I presumed that they all have to take some DVSA(VOSA) course and exam and presumed that would include knowledge of the rules.

Geoff
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 22-04-2018, 10:32

My Motorhome: Kontiki 669
Welcome Steve.
All good info
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 16-06-2018, 09:49

My Motorhome: I drive...
Thanks for all the good advice. I have just found this website having recently bought a converted Mercedes Sprinter and the MOT is due.
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 19-06-2018, 12:51

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Welcome Mal - lots of good advice here on all sorts of topics. Hope you join us.

Jean

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page