Is your van tested correctly - MOT class 4 or 7? - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 09:33

well my gast has been flabbered do you realy have nothing else to occupy your minds with . just take a chill pill and get on with life .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 09:39

I think that the issue of access is important here as since when does an MOT tester have access to a garage on a motorhome - there is nothing in there that need to be tested and so it is irrelevant as to what is stored in there... just a thought...
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 12:09

Having read through the Motorhomes.net 2006 correspondence with Rob Haggar the relavant part would seem to be. If your van is over 3.5 ton and you are asked if you carry any goods that you do not need on your travels answer No. They have stated that it is not their job to determine the use to which the vehicle is put.

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 13:06

It could be a great get out clause for insurance companies!!!!!!!
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 13:16

Thanks Tony - a useful thread for me as I will have my first van MOT coming up in December always good to acquire more knowledge!!

I'll watch out for you on future episodes of Cops with Cameras........... ......just in case

John
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 13:34

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayc
This came about because VOSA started to flex their muscles and catagorise MH's over 3500kg with garages as 'Living Vans'. Totally ridiculous of course but if you want to see the correspondance with DFT / VOSA go to the link below and click MOT in the list:
http://www.ukmotorhomes.net/motorhome-faqs.shtml#MOTs
The key section from that article (which is not written by VOSA) is;

The matter has now (17/11/06) been resolved by VOSA who state that it is up to the motorhome owner to declare if goods are to be carried, when submitting the motorhome for an MOT test. If a declaration is made that goods are not carried the Testing Station should accept that the vehicle is a ‘motor caravan’ and that a Class IV test is appropriate.

and by "goods" they are implying articles which are being carried for a commercial basis as compared to "payload" which are articles carried for use in or with the MH i.e. that includes golf clubs if you intend to play golf from the MH.....

otherwise goods would include spare clothes and food etc, which are not "essential" but are certainly useful!

As Asprn and others say, do not worry about it, MH are Class IV unless they are being used in an exceptional manner for the carriage of items for commercial reward.

There are many things to concern ourselves with, this does not appear anywhere in my list.........

Dave
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 14:08

Hi

That is an interesting link. It finishes with saying if you wish to carry something you're not sure about then obtain legal advice. If they're not sure.....?!?!?

If over 3.5tons with a garage automatically meant Class 7 and was a goods vehicle, then it would have to have been plated and had a tacho from new. Surely any legal definition of goods would be the obvious main point, either you are a scooter salesman or you need it to pop to the shops?!

I also don't quite understand why towing a car or carrying a scooter or even push bikes are not essential to living in a motorhome. How many town centres are suitable for even a medium sized camper, making such additions essential to many?

My camper is based on an offroad truck and doesn't look to many like a camper (at least thats what I keep telling myself when no other campers wave back ), and at 9.5tons with small garage the two different places I've used for MOTing have asked if I carry goods, but one has twice said its for me to tell them what test I want, not for him to insist at all, and that Class 4 is any size of vehicle.

And if you deny them access to an area of the camper they decide they need to look in I'm sure they can refuse to test you.

Dougie's advice is the best though, and if the MOT station insist on Class 7 go elsewhere!

William Gall likes this.

Jason
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 15:51

In my life Golf clubs ARE essential!!!
D.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 16:50

Hi.

We have had 4 MOTs on our van all carried out at council yards or bus/coach stations. They have all stated that the M/H is a class 4 test even if it does carry anything you wish to take with you for a holiday. You are not carrying goods for for reward.

steve & ann. ------ teensvan.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 16:51

Hi

I had a 'discussion' about this with the Mercedes main dealer when my five ton Hymer needed its first MOT and ended up talking to VOSA. The outcome was, effectively, that if it says 'motor caravan' on the V5 then it is exempt form class 7.

The dealer re-read his information and agreed and did the MOT. Incidentally, it failed because the headlights were set for driving on the right!

P&L

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page