Reversing cameras problem on MOTs - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 22:07 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Chausson Sweet Maxi
Reversing cameras problem on MOTs

Hi, Has anyone in the UK had problems getting through MOTs with dash mounted reversing cameras?
My aged Fiat Ducato had to have the camera removed via the nearest connection even though it's mounted right next to the pillar to pass the MOT. My new van that I was purchasing included a new MOT which it passed after the selling dealer told me that the reversing camera now only works manually as it has been programmed to not work by selecting reverse gear anymore. Wow, it is also on the dashboard next to the pillar. There must be many motorhomes with this dilemma? Different MOT stations used by the vans.
My new motorhome is a Chausson Sweet Maxi 2012.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 23:07

My Motorhome: Burstner Delphin Performance T821
Personal Aire
If the Monitor obscures any of the swept area (by the windscreen wipers) it is an automatic MOT fail. I had to remove mine on my last van but it was just a case of unplugging it and removing one fixing. It never interfered with its operation when refitted.

I think your Dealer has fed you a load of bull about the manual operation instead of automatic. I would take it back and get it sorted by the Dealer.

Nil Desperandum Illegitemide Carborundum
The Following User Says Thank You to 747 For This Useful Post:
terencepaul (06-03-2018)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 09:03

My Motorhome: Pilote 740C Sensation
Personal Aire
My MH has full vehicle approval with the factory fitted monitor fitted on the side to the drivers right hand side by the pillar. If push came to shove then I am sure that the DVSA would instruct the MOT station to not fail it in that position.
The MOT manual says:
"Where items are present in the drivers view -such as a sat nav, air freshener etc- that would justify a Reason for Rejection, the tester may, at their discretion, remove the items prior to the inspection. Original vehicle design characteristics are to be accepted."

As for not being activated by reverse gear that is just cost saving
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (30.7 KB, 22 views)
erneboy and erneboy like this.

Last edited by rayc; 09-02-2018 at 09:09.
The Following User Says Thank You to rayc For This Useful Post:
terencepaul (06-03-2018)

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 09:26

My Motorhome: Pilote 740C Sensation
Personal Aire
I am assured that this is legal
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Klemmbrett_Tablethalter-16-1.jpg (217.6 KB, 30 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to rayc For This Useful Post:
terencepaul (06-03-2018)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 10:58

My Motorhome: Chausson Welcome 85 2007
Personal Aire
There should be nothing on the windscreen wiper swept area. This includes monitors, satnavs, emission zone discs, club stickers etc.
Of course if your rear view monitor is set back on the dash it's not on the screen is it?

I'm not signing anything.

The two impulses in travel are to get away from home, and the other is to pursue something - a landscape, people, an exotic place. Certainly finding a place that you like or discovering something unusual is a very sustaining thing in travel.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spacerunner For This Useful Post:
terencepaul (06-03-2018)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 18:07

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayc View Post
I am assured that this is legal
That is such a huge lump isn't it? It must get in the way.

I have the same set-up but have never actually used it. I'm sure there must be a better use for the stand-up thingy but I haven't thought of it yet.

Jean
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 20:42 Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies, very interesting. I should add that I am in Spain but the MOT here has been quoted a few times following the UK change of rules on the MOT over there. I do not know how easy you can connect a camera to work from the reverse gear being selected. It's not a big deal to just put it on yourself manually but seems strange if it was immobilised for the MOT over here on a relatively newer type of motorhome.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 20:47

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
What was the reasoning given for the reversing camera being programmed to not work by selecting reverse gear?

Jean
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 21:03 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiwawa View Post
What was the reasoning given for the reversing camera being programmed to not work by selecting reverse gear?
Not sure my friend, I was told the dealer sends someone too take it that he knows. Later when I collected it as a purchase I called back and said hey I reversed and turned the camera on thinking that may be the answer but then it just stayed on. Oh yes he said I remember something on it's MOT about that now and they programmed it not to come on when reverse selected. News to me as they had my current older van at another garage and took that for a MOT for me when the guy that took it had to remove the camera entirely from the an identical position as the new van. So we just plugged that back in and
it works fine. Hopefully I can ask again on Monday when it goes back to the dealer as the satellite panel is not switching on that controls the dish alignment. It also was working fine before the MOT, fishy huh and just my luck at mo'.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 16:38

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
I am currently in discussion with Halfords because on my cars MOT they put an advisory note on it saying that an under tray is fitted so some components could not be inspected. DVSA’s website says such an advisory should NOT be made if the under tray is an original factory fitment (Which it blindingly obviously is)

Also had an advisory “Brake discs developing wear lips” but told when I picked it up the wear was minimal (which I knew) and I needed to do nothing about it!!

DVSA says advisory’s should be issued in respect of items that are close to, but not bad enough to warrant a fail and won’t last till the next MOT??

I have emailed Halfords asking for a detailed explanation, no reply as yet (MOT was last Thurs)

Andy

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, it’s in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page