Stained Vynil wrap or Decals - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Pudsey_Bear

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 11:07 Thread Starter

Stained Vynil wrap or Decals

My MH is an Burstner Anniversary model, so has some wrap that covers about 30-40% of the sides.

There as been no problem up until now.

We have just spent a month in France, and whilst there the van got so filthy so I pulled into one of the car washes you see all over France, by supermarkets etc. to give it a quick swill ! I don't normally use these as I don't want a pressure washer near the MH, but I thought I'd keep it at a distance and just use it lightly, I did the normal wash cycle etc. then rinsed it and got on my way. The van obviously wet from the wash.

The next day I noticed streaks down the vynil, which I assumed were just water lines and would come off, but no, they are stained into the vynil !

I think it is some reaction from the wash system with the vynil ( I have now been told it 'might' be from a wheel wash solution sometimes used at these washes in the system ?), if it was just a reaction with the Autoglym polish I use, I think it would be on the surface, and would come out. This I think is reaction with the vynil, and as 'stained' the vynil.

I have tried to polish out with Autoglym, T Cut, Slinky, WD and neat none silicon wash wax, it wont budge !

Any ideas please ???

Picture wrong way up !!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181009_162420.jpg (276.6 KB, 23 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 08:58

My Motorhome: 2000 Autotrail Mohican on Sprinter base
Personal Aire
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Hi Clive, the only solution I can think of is not really helpful, but it's go back to the same wash and allow the stuff to get all over it so at least the damage is uniform, the problem looks to me to be where the washing solution has lingered on the wrap discolouring it, so polish etc won't do anything, as it is something in the printing that has been removed rather than something added to the surface to be removed.
erneboy likes this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 10:19

My Motorhome: Burstner Elegance
A few years ago we damaged the vinyl covering on the hab door when the door blew against an open window. Our Burstner dealer replaced the vinyl without any fuss and from recollection either didn't charge, or certainly didn't charge very much.

Peter

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 10:27

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
I think Kev has it right.

I had the decals on my van redone a couple of years ago. Quite quickly the became stained by, looking at the individual patterns of the stains, has run down over them. In my case I think it has been rain water because the greatest damage is obvious at points where most water runs off the roof when it rains.

I've tried many soaps, chemicals and anything else I could think of to clean them up to no avail. I speculate that there are various qualities of vinyl and that some colours show damage more than others.

Propaganda works best when those who are being manipulated are confident they are acting on their own free will.
Joseph Goebbels
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 17:54

My Motorhome: swift sundance 620fb
hi clive

i have seen this sort of problem before on vans

i would suggest that you leave alone and let the weather and sun just do its thing

some times the streaks fade

it may just be where the soap has penetrated the vinyl

barry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page