Replacing window on back door - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 26-03-2015, 13:44 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...
Replacing window on back door

Hi I am new on here can any one tell me how to put new window and rubber on the back door of a 1985 Renault romance pop top camper I have the window and rubber but not sure if it is straight forward or any help would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 26-03-2015, 14:49

My Motorhome: Auto-Trail Apache 634
Personal Aire
Are you talking about a hard glass window that sits in a rubber seal - a bit like an old fashioned windscreen? If so I'm sure I remember a technique involving a piece of string and a bit of Fairey Liquid.
I think it goes like this:
a) put the glass into the rubber surround
b) smear a little fairy liquid (silicone lubricant sounds a bit better than fairy liquid but it wasn't around the last time I had to do this on an old car!)
c) run the string all the way around the outside slot in the rubber seal, keeping the loose ends together near the bottom
d) get someone to offer the glass/seal up to the opening engaging the bottom of the seal in the hole.
e) with your assistant trying to press the glass into place, slowly start to pull the string so that the rest of the seal is pulled through and into place - both sides at the same time

I hope that someone who has done this more recently than me will correct/expand this procedure!
Bill
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 26-03-2015, 15:01

My Motorhome: Auto-Trail Apache 634
Personal Aire
Here's a link to a page with a film the technique being used on a campervan windscreen - http://campervanculture.com/2011/05/...t3-windscreen/

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 26-03-2015, 15:27

Personal Aire
Perhaps silicon grease would be less likely to promote rust at a later date, it is also a bit stickier for holding in the string and slippier when pulling it out.
Easy to get from hardware stores.
Do not attempt to do this on your own. It is also a job that gives loads of satisfaction but do check the sizes before you start.

Good luck!

Alan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page