Auto automatic gear box on Fiat 2.8l ducatto base vehicle - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 15-11-2010, 20:09 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to stevee4 Send a message via MSN to stevee4
Auto automatic gear box on Fiat 2.8l ducatto base vehicle

I have bought a N + B Arto 2002 on a fiat ducatto base. It has a auto 4 speed box

Has anyone got or had one?

What is the switch to the left of the shifter which has a W and - sign on it.

What are these boxes like ... any problems +ve points.

I have to say it is really smooth to drive.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 21:35

Automatic gearbox

Just bought a Hymer B544 2002 on a Fiat Ducato 2.8 chasis with auto gearbox. The big W to the left stands for Winter mode and I understand it uses 2nd gear to pull away from a standing start thus avoiding wheelspin on ice in 1st gear.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 13-12-2010, 17:59

Hi Steve

I have had this box in my camper from new (7 years) and I am really impressed with it. I have never had to pull away in winter mode though but did try it when I first got it and as said above, it starts in second gear.

I usually average close on 25 mpg which I think is quite good for a torque converter auto pulling the best part of 3700 kg for most of the time.

As well as saving a 'shed load' of money, the other reason for importing the camper was to have the auto box as it was only fitted on LHD vehicles.

Regards

Roger

´Always look on the bright side of life´

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 13-12-2010, 19:11 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to stevee4 Send a message via MSN to stevee4
arto

Thanks guys. I have still not really used the van, still waiting for the better weather.
The previous owner states that he got about 22 to the gallon. My previous Arto which was virtually the same vehicle, but a manual 5 speed box, got better than 24 to the gallon. ( provided I kept bellow 65mph) I know hymer 544 is slighty shorter vehicle. A hymer 644 is virtually the same vehicle weight, length, and internal layout, fixtures and fittings as an arto. ( made by the same manufacturer) I just wonder is the Arto is slightly less airodynamic.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 14-12-2010, 13:27

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
Full Auto's CAN be thirsty depending on how they are driven, the trick is to always use a light throttle foot.

Only floor it if you have to. By being gentle you will get much better MPG. Also stick to 50 -55 MPH much faster and you will need a disproportionate amount of throttle opening (much higher fuel consumption) for very little increase in speed. Its all down to how wind resistance increase with speed. I think its something like the resistance increases by the square of the speed or something such like. Thats why the Bugatti Veyron needed some collosal power increase from its "basic" model (100's of BHP) to increase its top speed by about 10 MPH

It always amazes me when I am on a motorway (at about 55 which is my "I'm on holiday so not in any sort of rush" speed) the number of MH's that come hammering past me at warp factor 10 !! they must have more dosh than sense

Just experiment with your cruising speed and see how you get on !!

Remember you can save time OR money Never both
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 14-12-2010, 15:59

My Motorhome: Burstner Delphin Performance T821
Personal Aire
For better mpg, forget your speedo and use the rev counter.

Most diesel engines have maximum torque at around 1800 rpm. This however is a bit low for good mpg.

I work off 2000 rpm in 5th gear, which gives me about the same speed as a HGV. I can comfortably cruise (like MrPlodd) at a comfortable speed. It is surprising how enjoyable it can be at this speed as opposed to constantly checking mirrors and keeping on your toes when you are motorway driving in a car.

Nil Desperandum Illegitemide Carborundum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page