Oil change - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 19-04-2021, 11:02 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...Auto Trail Navajo
Personal Aire
Oil change

I have only done 4,000 km. since the last oil change, when the engine was repaired in November 2019, Gordon my mechanic has asked if I want him to change the oil today, he doesn't think its necessary, but if I want him to he will change it. What would you do?

I'm Jan
We learn something new every day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 19-04-2021, 11:38

My Motorhome: I drive...autoroller
I would change it before you go on a trip its only six months early and the motor home as been standing for much of the last 18 months also there maybe still a chance of microscopic metal pieces in the oil due to the engine failure so change the oil and the filter
raynipper and JanHank like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to bilbaoman For This Useful Post:
JanHank (19-04-2021)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 19-04-2021, 11:48 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbaoman View Post
I would change it before you go on a trip its only six months early and the motor home as been standing for much of the last 18 months also there maybe still a chance of microscopic metal pieces in the oil due to the engine failure so change the oil and the filter
No it hasnt, it did the 4,000 km last year and a few day excursions of 50-60 km over the winter. I think the second oil change was done, but I will check with Gordon

I'm Jan

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 19-04-2021, 13:24 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Quote:
I have told him to change it.

I'm Jan
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 19-04-2021, 16:56

My Motorhome: Carthago
Quote:
The complete engine along with ancillaries was changed, so no chance of retained particles adding anything to the unit fitted now.

I hope your trusted man uses the correct oil, in the circumstances I know of your previous problems I would not have suggested another oil change so soon, the cost of which without labour will be well in excess of 100 and not needed.

I will just add that I am an advocate of timely oil changes and the use of the correct specification of oils.

JanHank likes this.

John
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 19-04-2021, 17:05 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurajohn View Post
The complete engine along with ancillaries was changed, so no chance of retained particles adding anything to the unit fitted now.

I hope your trusted man uses the correct oil, in the circumstances I know of your previous problems I would not have suggested another oil change so soon, the cost of which without labour will be well in excess of 100 and not needed.

I will just add that I am an advocate of timely oil changes and the use of the correct specification of oils.
Hes probably done it now John as I asked him to, he is a good caring mechanic so Im sure he either knows or has looked up which oil to use, but just in case what would you suggest?

I'm Jan
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 19-04-2021, 17:16

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
We bought our Golf new in 2003. Every basic service inc oil and filter change as well as check round and adjust has cost 99 even today. It's never been increased all the time we own the Golf.
But their charge for a new cam belt and water pump is extortionate.

Ray.

The FSA formerly SIB & PIA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our lifes savings. Guess what? He robbed us of 750,000. So they changed their name again to the FCA.
http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 19-04-2021, 18:31

My Motorhome: Arapaho
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanHank View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurajohn View Post

I hope your trusted man uses the correct oil, in the circumstances I know of your previous problems I would not have suggested another oil change so soon, the cost of which without labour will be well in excess of 100€ and not needed.

Hes probably done it now John as I asked him to, he is a good caring mechanic so Im sure he either knows or has looked up which oil to use, but just in case what would you suggest?
It will definitely be a fully synthetic oil, the exact type depends on the engine fitted, the oil’s not cheap either.

Terry

BREXIT built on deceit delivered by liars

The people who passed off a pair of gloves as *two* items of PPE may not be entirely honest.

'Get Brexit Done' anagram - BEING EXTORTED

I'm a Euro Unionist, Testiculi ad Brexitam

Brexit: the incapable in pursuit of the unobtainable to satisfy the delusional. (Edwin Hayward)

In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 19-04-2021, 20:06 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by dghr272 View Post
It will definitely be a fully synthetic oil, the exact type depends on the engine fitted, the oils not cheap either.

Terry
Gordon has/is/was going to call the garage that did the job in 2019, Im sure he will make sure he does everything right.

Thank you all for your advice, much appreciated as always.

I'm Jan
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 19-04-2021, 21:34

My Motorhome: Carthago
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanHank View Post
Sorry being a bit late to reply, should be a 5W30 and a grade ACEA C2 and will need 5.9 litres for a change including filter.

The correct grade is just as important as the weight, the additives that make up the grade have an impact on the working and longevity of not only the internals of the engine but also the add on items after combustion, i.e. particulate filter, catalytic converter etc.

JanHank likes this.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to eurajohn For This Useful Post:
JanHank (19-04-2021)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page