How often do you change - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 29-11-2016, 18:00 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMJ View Post
Me too

Base service is annual for me. We did 8000 miles between services last time it was done.

I check my oil...ahem...occasionally..

...when I remember to

Graham

PS But I do keep a litre can of oil in the MH in case I need it!
Err me to, I'm terrible at preventative maintenance.
GMJ and GMJ like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 29-11-2016, 23:19

My Motorhome: Charisma
Annually same as most people, particularly important to change the fuel filter also if you run a Diesel engine as many problems arise through contaminated fuel and Deisel is a dirty fuel.
Pudsey_Bear and Pudsey_Bear like this.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 30-11-2016, 11:21

Location: Silly Suffolk or on an airfield somewhere in the UK.
My Motorhome: Carthago Chic C-Line I 5.0
Personal Aire
I have always had a 'low mileage' oil and filter change after the first year then full service at 24 months as per the Fiat schedule.
On this van, which is now 20 months old and has done 20K miles, I haven't yet had an oil change.

The van went to a Fiat Professional agent for a modification at about 10 months old and I asked the mechanic what he thought about an oil change at 12 months. He said that as I was doing quite a high mileage it wasn't necessary. The interim 12 month (Low mileage) oil changes were only required for vehicles that stood still for most of the year and got 'gummed up'.

Must book her in for the service when we get back to Blighty, will be heading for 22K by then.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 30-11-2016, 12:00

My Motorhome: Pilote 740C Sensation
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebt View Post
Annually same as most people, particularly important to change the fuel filter also if you run a Diesel engine as many problems arise through contaminated fuel and Deisel is a dirty fuel.
The filter on my euro 5 costs about £50. Fiat recommend change on a mileage basis only at 45,000km. I don't think I will be changing mine annually.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 30-11-2016, 23:34

My Motorhome: Charisma
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayc View Post
The filter on my euro 5 costs about £50. Fiat recommend change on a mileage basis only at 45,000km. I don't think I will be changing mine annually.
I doubt you would get to that mileage on the same fuel filter despite any "Reccomendation" Contaminated Diesel is quite common and generally contributes to
most breakdowns relative to Diesel engines.

I thinks it's been mentioned earlier in the thread about the cost of a MH and the relative low cost to maintain it, to me it's simple economics and prevention is better than a cure.

Brian
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 30-11-2016, 23:50

I check all underbonnet levels before any trip but make use of the oil level indicator almost every time I switch on. Oil and filter changed at least annually thats about 6000 miles. Dont carry any spare oil.

Frequently look under the bonnet and am paranoid about keeping the washer bottle full- every time I bemoan my old Volvo's which had washer bottle level indication on the dashboard.

Tyre pressures before every trip, tyre temperatures during a run.
Mike & Ann
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 08:05
GMJ

My Motorhome: 2017 Autotrail Comanche
Personal Aire
It would never cross my mind NOT to have an annual service for any of my vehicles tbh. I expect them to work every time I jump into them so its only right to look after them imho...

Sadly my Saab convertible only did 439 miles between services this last year but I wanted to keep the FSH on it as she is a good 'un

Graham

Which ever way you look at it, we are MUCH BETTER OFF in the EU than outside!

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 09:09

My Motorhome: Hymer T625
My brother-on-law with a lifetime of hands-on experience in the motor industry advises that if fully synthetic oil is used, a full oil change is necessary only every 2 years, with an annual oil filter change. (2.8JTD) Other Fiat mechanics I have spoken to have agreed. Surprisingly (for a woman), I check engine consumables about weekly, but definitely before setting out on a journey and after parking up for a few days in a site.

I was indoctrinated by my father at the age of 16. "Don't even think about driving the car until you can (and do) check its vitals." Sunday morning task. I've always had to buy my own everything so I quickly learned the habit of taking care of the stuff I worked so hard to pay for.

Viv

"When I was 17 the boys used to call me "Coke-bottle-legs". Fifty years later, they are still like Coke bottles. Sadly, the 2 litre version!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page