EGR Valve on citroen relay - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 24-10-2012, 00:01 Thread Starter

EGR Valve on citroen relay

I recently posted a question regarding my ''smoking engine'', well ive got another question on the same topic. I have just read a posting from two years ago from someone who removed the EGR valve and blanked it off. This apparently gave smoother running, increased mpg and less exhaust smoke when overtaking. Can this be true, and is it possible to do on the citroens 2.2 hdi engine. Would it bring any warning lights up and are there any pitfalls in taking it off? It appears it doesn't affect the emmissions either and would still pass the mot. There are apparently companies who manufacture and sell blanking plates but i can't find anything on the net about them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 24-10-2012, 01:00

if you looked at the ebay link I posted on your last thread that guy showned pics of where the EGR valve was on a citroen and also sold blanking plates.

It has no effect on the vehicle whats so ever other than an unnoticeable increase in MPG (like 1/2mpg).......Diesels DON'T have an emissions test like petrol cars do...diesel vehicles have a smoke test (how much black smoke is produced ) unlike petrol emissions test which checks for...erm emissions (bad stuff).

You'll find alot of info about removing them on the net (you'll see guys bypass the EGR valve or as you said blank it).

Diesels don't need EGR valves.....they are added for reducing emissions that diesels don't get tested for.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 24-10-2012, 08:33

My Motorhome: Mercedes 614D
Personal Aire
Most diesels can have the EGR valve removed, Land Rovers in particular have any number of kits on ebay for the 200/300TDi and TD5 diesels.

The car emissions test is for CO, NOX and CO2, plus diesels have a particulate or smoke test.

As the EGR valve does not materially affect the test results of a diesel, it can be removed, BUT it is possible that a vehicle may fail the new MOT's if there is a component missing in the emissions control that was fitted from new.

This has to be tested during this year, but initial results seem to indicate that testing stations aren't taking too much notice for the older vehicles, but are with vehicles that are less than 5 years old.

If it is working properly, I'd tend to leave it alone and worry about it when it goes wrong. In the meantime look out for kits to take it out, probably ebay again.

Peter

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 24-10-2012, 12:27

what a load of twaddle

just cleaned the egr valve on my 2.2 diesel car and that involved removing it and discovering it was 90% blocked where the gasses are fed into the inlet manifold with a black sludge like putty. The result is an increase in mpg from 29 to 37 around town and a common fault with this engine especially at 100k miles plus.
If you research the egr valve and understand why its there you would never delete it
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 24-10-2012, 12:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by red1
what a load of twaddle

just cleaned the egr valve on my 2.2 diesel car and that involved removing it and discovering it was 90% blocked where the gasses are fed into the inlet manifold with a black sludge like putty. The result is an increase in mpg from 29 to 37 around town and a common fault with this engine especially at 100k miles plus.
If you research the egr valve and understand why its there you would never delete it
Listerdiesel quite clearly explained what it does and why a diesel doesn't need one

Well done on your first post.....
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 24-10-2012, 13:13

that first post doesnt change reality and its not beyond the realms of possibility lister diesel hasnt a clue.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 24-10-2012, 14:19

EGR valves are fitted to comply with the Euro specified emissions from the factory and IIRC currently the MOT doesn't test for emissions and only involves a visible particle test.

There is a lot of information about EGR valves with various outcomes based on engine design, generally you are best off with it for short journeys and motorway cruising its a null point unless you cruise at the EGR active point.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 24-10-2012, 15:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcats30

Listerdiesel quite clearly explained what it does and why a diesel doesn't need one

My entire engine must be unique in being tuned to use an egr valve and i shouldnt have bothered to clean it as its function was as good as deleted. obviously i should have carried on with the poor mpg, pre ignition ping and knock and the high cylinder temps with a void of exhaust gas into the intake and on to cylinders because its only reconised function here is something to do with emissions

more sense in a ridiculed first post than an entire history of them
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 24-10-2012, 15:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by red1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcats30

My entire engine must be unique in being tuned to use an egr valve and i shouldnt have bothered to clean it as its function was as good as deleted. obviously i should have carried on with the poor mpg, pre ignition ping and knock and the high cylinder temps with a void of exhaust gas into the intake and on to cylinders because its only reconised function here is something to do with emissions

more sense in a ridiculed first post than an entire history of them
Trying to be smart on the internet..........well done
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 24-10-2012, 15:28

My Motorhome: Mercedes 614D
Personal Aire
Well, this forum is for discussion, and we all have the right to post what we think, so I'll leave our newcomer with his thoughts, I don't need to repeat anything, thousands of diesel owners can't all be wrong.

Peter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page