EGR Valve on citroen relay - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 24-10-2012, 15:15

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
Pre IGNITION and ping (also called pinking NOT ping) in a Diesel engine ??? Oh please

Pre-ignitionn is what happens in a PETROL engine where the fuel/air charge is ignited by the heat of compression PRIOR to the optimum ignition (spark) point. the result of this is that the sudden expansion of the fuel air charge attempts to STOP the piston as it rises up the cylinder, it cant do that but it causes the piston to move sideways slightly in the bore and hit the side of the bore rather hard. Its that impact which you hear as PINKING

A Diesel engine (also known as a compression ignition engine) does not ingest a fuel and air mix like a petrol.

It draws in just fresh air and the fuel is then injected as the piston reaches a point just prior to top dead centre. It is injected in a (very highly) controlled stream. OR in the case of Fiat multi jet a number of short streams (to give the most power per drop of fuel) and therefore burns over a LONGER period.

Thats why Diesel engines produce vastly more torque that a petrol engine of the same capacity.

In Petrol engines the fuel is injected into the stream of air BEFORE it enters the cylinders.

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, itís in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 24-10-2012, 15:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcats30
Quote:
Originally Posted by red1
Quote:

Listerdiesel quite clearly explained what it does and why a diesel doesn't need one

Well done on your first post.....
My entire engine must be unique in being tuned to use an egr valve and i shouldnt have bothered to clean it as its function was as good as deleted. obviously i should have carried on with the poor mpg, pre ignition ping and knock and the high cylinder temps with a void of exhaust gas into the intake and on to cylinders because its only reconised function here is something to do with emissions

more sense in a ridiculed first post than an entire history of them
Trying to be smart on the internet..........well done
be easy to say if the cap fits, wear it -and think on because its not me who ridiculed a first time poster out of "first time posterism", not me who hasnt a clue about the function of an egr valve and not me giving advice with the knowledge of amoeba sat infront of the worlds greatest resource and certainly not me with an engine with egr problems anymore.

you get the picture
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 24-10-2012, 15:22

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Listerdiesel quite clearly explained what it does and why a diesel doesn't need one

Well done on your first post.....
My entire engine must be unique in being tuned to use an egr valve and i shouldnt have bothered to clean it as its function was as good as deleted. obviously i should have carried on with the poor mpg, pre ignition ping and knock and the high cylinder temps with a void of exhaust gas into the intake and on to cylinders because its only reconised function here is something to do with emissions

more sense in a ridiculed first post than an entire history of them
Trying to be smart on the internet..........well done
be easy to say if the cap fits, wear it -and think on because its not me who ridiculed a first time poster out of "first time posterism", not me who hasnt a clue about the function of an egr valve and not me giving advice with the knowledge of amoeba sat infront of the worlds greatest resource and certainly not me with an engine with egr problems anymore.

you get the picture
You won't have EGR problems anymore because you cleaned it....silly billy.

post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 24-10-2012, 17:31

A lot of common rail engines systems will recognise when an egr valve has been blanked off or not functioning correctly & throw up a fault code & the engine management warning lamp.

Dave.
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 24-10-2012, 18:32 Thread Starter

Well thanks for all that imfo lads, seem to have sparked an interesting and entertaining debate on the pros and cons of an EGR valve. I suppose i could prove if my smoking engine is caused by a faulty EGR valve by blanking it off and seeing if the smoke goes away, you reckon?
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 24-10-2012, 19:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigee
Well thanks for all that imfo lads, seem to have sparked an interesting and entertaining debate on the pros and cons of an EGR valve. I suppose i could prove if my smoking engine is caused by a faulty EGR valve by blanking it off and seeing if the smoke goes away, you reckon?
You never know till you try!!
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 24-10-2012, 19:55

Quote:

so my egr was blocked which amounts to a "delete" and is what you recomend and yet you re happy to tell me i wont have any problems anymore having cleaned and "un deleted " in effect.

God give me strength, make your mind man because its utter carp you ve spoken You silly Billy !!!
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 24-10-2012, 19:55

Just had egr replaced on scudo. No difference to performance or mpg before and after replacement.But the engine fault warning has disapeared from the dash.

Dave p

post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 24-10-2012, 19:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by red2
Quote:

so my egr was blocked which amounts to a "delete" and is what you recomend and yet you re happy to tell me i wont have any problems anymore having cleaned and "un deleted " in effect.

God give me strength, make your mind man because its utter carp you ve spoken You silly Billy !!!
Why do you keep joining....are you a TROLL???
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 24-10-2012, 20:01

Still some life in the forum
Dave p

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page