X250 Suspension - Page 5 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 09:17
dfr

As a follow up I found the torque settings are 145nm for the rear - i didn't touch the front.

I found I had the same problem as others here with rust on the axle through the plastic bearings. But even after removing rust and greasing the axle the noise remained.

It was only after spreading the leaf springs and greasing the nylon pad that the noise disappeared.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 43 (permalink) Old 17-09-2014, 23:08

x250 suspension ...

I would like to thank szd48 for his informative post ... stripped and greased mine tonight and now totally silent ....cheers ...
post #43 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 08:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by szd48 View Post
If you have what I can best describe as a loud 'eee-aaw-eee-aaw' creak-come-squeak as the body rocks then it is likely coming from the upper bush(es) at the rear of the leaf spring(s).

I've done a good few of these now and it is always the same part causing the really loud and annoying noise. Often it starts with just a couple of 'eee-aaw's when first using the van after it has sat for a few days, then it becomes continuous and particularly bad over slow bumps such as speed bumps etc.

All the ones I have done have been single leaf spring campers, so no chance of it being the leaves themselves making the noise.

Luckily the fix only takes about 30 mins. per side and is easily done: you need a deep 24mm socket and an E24 Torx socket, and if you jack up the offending corner with the wheel just clear of the ground then the spring is neutral and the bolts will just slide out. It needs doing, because the noise is generated by the wrong part of the bush assembly turning due to build up of corrosion on the 'axle' that runs through it, so it shouldn't be ignored.

I hope I've attached a couple of pictures.
One shows the chassis fitting with the assembly removed - you can see the leaf spring shackle plates hanging down. There are two metal bushes pressed into the chassis, seated in rubber. I have never removed these - they are in tight.

The other shows what is removed: two nylon top hats that push (hand pressure) into the metal/rubber part in the chassis, one from each side. Then the metal axle that runs in the nylon top hats and which the large bolt clamps the spring shackle plates onto.

The metal axle should turn in the nylon top hats and side loading should be taken against the brim of the hats. You can see the corrosion that has built up on the axle though, increasing its diameter and causing it to turn the top hats with it. This I think is what causes the noise, as the top hats turn against the rubber seat.

You need to remove the corrosion from the axle so that it is once again a slip fit in the nylon top hats. The ones I've disassembled have all been free of grease so perhaps that's how Sevel intended it, but I grease the axle with synthetic grease upon re-assembly, and none have come back for a second fix yet..

Hope this helps.

P.S. the axle can be that corroded after only a couple of thousand miles..
Thanks very much for your message and post. This solution cured our dreadful creak on a Hymer B504 2009, eventually explained to Midland Road Springs, Coleshill, West Midlands, who were most helpful when faced with the problem, spending time and care applying copper grease and correctly resetting angle of spring hanger.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page