Fiat Ducato Alko TAG X250 Full Air Suspension - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 21:09 Thread Starter

I think the AS version is a supplementary system, working with rather than in place of existing suspension. I think it is probably most suitable where there are problems with loads affecting the ride and possible tail end lowering as a result. in this case generally the ride will be harder/firmer as you are adding additional "springing."

With full air suspension the existing springs are removed so you rely totally on the air.

My problem was my ride was already too firm, so adding to this would have been the opposite of what I was looking for.

I think - but stand to be corrected - that only VB offer full As on a TAG.

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 17:21

I run a 2009 Tag at 5,000 kgs, passing trucks even at 80+ MPH is no problem at all. Cross winds are no great problem either, more than I can say for our other van on a Transit chassis

I doubt the air upgrade would improve things that much. Might be different if you have an older van which has had a lot of use

Richard...
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 17:45

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
My experience is the same as Richard's above, no problems at all, Alan.

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 23-09-2011, 19:38

Totally agree with the above comments. Our Hobby 700 tag is one of the most stable vehicles we have ever driven, cross winds and passing lorries have no effect, unless we are parked up in a lay by.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 31-08-2015, 06:17

My Motorhome: I drive...
Sorry to dredge this up again, but now that you're a few years in. How is it going? I'm really tempted to do this on my tag at Arapaho. Unlike the others, I've had mostly stable experience, but one hairy journey in high wind that was pushing me all over the place especially when passing large vehicles. This tends to happen at high speed on French toll roads at 130kmh though. Slow down to 100/110, less so, but when you're travelling for 6 hours the additional 20kph makes a difference. Thanks, Steve.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 13:02

My Motorhome: I drive...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve616 View Post
Sorry to dredge this up again, but now that you're a few years in. How is it going? I'm really tempted to do this on my tag at Arapaho. Unlike the others, I've had mostly stable experience, but one hairy journey in high wind that was pushing me all over the place especially when passing large vehicles. This tends to happen at high speed on French toll roads at 130kmh though. Slow down to 100/110, less so, but when you're travelling for 6 hours the additional 20kph makes a difference. Thanks, Steve.
We had the Full air tag axle ALKO X250 VB Air system fitted June last year, its has been great. The drive difference is exceptional and the ride height and road noise have been increased, levelled and reduced.

Only one problem, its now 1 year in and we are stuck in Belgium with 3 blown rear bags due to rubbing on the ALKO chassis. No warning just alarm went off on the road at 1800 on a Saturday evening @ 70mph.

Pulled over to find air compressor working overtime and tripping out with main battery draw so high we had battery level warming of low voltage.

Left hand side of van on the floor with right hand side rear only working on one rear bag.

Recovered to local garage but we know they could do nothing as VB problem so paid extra to recovered toVB dealer in Belgium.

Currently camped outside dealer waiting until Monday when open. Not holding breath as its august and VB Air closed worldwide spares etc for middle 2 weeks.

Couldn’t have happened at a better time.

Main question, if full air and bags blow you can drive as suspension is flat, holiday gone, kids shipped back to grandparents, parents stuck in Belgium for foreseeable future.

Bad install? Wrong Product, Bad Timing

Regards

Chris
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 13:58

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
That sounds like a VERY bad experience Chris and would negate the positives you've seen so far.

I hope you get good service in Belgium.

Jean
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 14:24

My Motorhome: Bessacarr E725
Some years ago I fitted an air assist system to my ALKO 4 wheeler. The original torsion suspension stays in place but the air bags stiffen things up really well. There isn't much change in ride height, though.

For the tag axle, does the ride height need to be increased requiring a full air system, or is there an air assist system available for tags?

I'm daft and proud of it.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 13-08-2019, 09:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethleffstagair View Post
We had the Full air tag axle ALKO X250 VB Air system fitted June last year, its has been great. The drive difference is exceptional and the ride height and road noise have been increased, levelled and reduced.

Only one problem, its now 1 year in and we are stuck in Belgium with 3 blown rear bags due to rubbing on the ALKO chassis. No warning just alarm went off on the road at 1800 on a Saturday evening @ 70mph.

Pulled over to find air compressor working overtime and tripping out with main battery draw so high we had battery level warming of low voltage.

Left hand side of van on the floor with right hand side rear only working on one rear bag.

Recovered to local garage but we know they could do nothing as VB problem so paid extra to recovered toVB dealer in Belgium.

Currently camped outside dealer waiting until Monday when open. Not holding breath as its august and VB Air closed worldwide spares etc for middle 2 weeks.

Couldn’t have happened at a better time.

Main question, if full air and bags blow you can drive as suspension is flat, holiday gone, kids shipped back to grandparents, parents stuck in Belgium for foreseeable future.

Bad install? Wrong Product, Bad Timing

Regards

Chris
That's terrible! Can't help but you have my sympathy.
raynipper likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page