Air suspension - how to check? - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 12:08 Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 70
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Air suspension - how to check?

I had the rear coil springs on my Compass Calypso (VW Transporter) changed to air suspension about 8 years ago. How do you tell if these need replacing?
tombar is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 12:35
Senior Member
 
dghr272's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Carrickfergus NI
My Motorhome: Arapaho
Posts: 6,236
Thanks: 213
Thanked 526 Times in 491 Posts
Personal Aire
Apart from visual inspection I suspect you would notice a harsher ride.

Terry

'Get Brexit Done' anagram - BEING EXTORTED

I'm a Euro Unionist, Testiculi ad Brexitam

Brexit: the incapable in pursuit of the unobtainable to satisfy the delusional. (Edwin Hayward)

In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
dghr272 is online now  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 12:59 Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 70
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dghr272 View Post
Apart from visual inspection I suspect you would notice a harsher ride.

Terry

Hi Terry,

What would there be to see? - my local garage reckons they wouldn't be able to tell from looking at them.

At the moment, I have to pump them up each time before I go anywhere, as they lose pressure, and I've not noticed any difference in how much leakage there is. What I don't want is sudden deflation while driving!
tombar is offline  
 
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 13:08
Senior Member
 
aldra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: bury lancashire
My Motorhome: Adria coral supreme
Posts: 27,335
Thanks: 919
Thanked 407 Times in 390 Posts
Could you have a leak tombar ?

When ours was deflating slowly we had a leak, we had it repaired it's fine now

Sandra
aldra is online now  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 13:19
Senior Member
 
dghr272's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Carrickfergus NI
My Motorhome: Arapaho
Posts: 6,236
Thanks: 213
Thanked 526 Times in 491 Posts
Personal Aire
I think you've answered your own question if they need inflated every time before you travel, have they a common inflation valve or individual?

If common there's a system leak, if individual both are faulty.

Terry

'Get Brexit Done' anagram - BEING EXTORTED

I'm a Euro Unionist, Testiculi ad Brexitam

Brexit: the incapable in pursuit of the unobtainable to satisfy the delusional. (Edwin Hayward)

In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
dghr272 is online now  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 13:28
Senior Member
 
powerplus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: berkshire
My Motorhome: swift sundance 620fb
Posts: 1,165
Thanks: 10
Thanked 122 Times in 116 Posts
hi
i would pump up the air suspension and go around it with some soapy water and look for bubbles

on my van i have 2 separate pressure gauges and valves that i can adjust individually the pressure,

mine has some non return valves between the compressor and the gauges and air bags, 1 time the pressures kept equalizing and found the non return valves were leaking and letting air pressure back to the compressor and slowly leaking through the compressor


do you have just air bags or do you still have the coil springs as well


hope this helps

barry
powerplus is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 13:49 Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 70
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldra View Post
Could you have a leak tombar ?

When ours was deflating slowly we had a leak, we had it repaired it's fine now

Sandra
I'll look into it, Sandra - I assumed this was normal, never havign had nay before. Though there is usually 2 or more months between trips
tombar is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 13:50 Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 70
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dghr272 View Post
I think you've answered your own question if they need inflated every time before you travel, have they a common inflation valve or individual?

If common there's a system leak, if individual both are faulty.

Terry
Hi Terry,

This isn't normal, then? - I've never had any before. I should maybe say there is 2 or more months between trips and between pressure checks. It's two inflation valves
tombar is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 13:53 Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 70
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplus View Post
hi
i would pump up the air suspension and go around it with some soapy water and look for bubbles

on my van i have 2 separate pressure gauges and valves that i can adjust individually the pressure,

mine has some non return valves between the compressor and the gauges and air bags, 1 time the pressures kept equalizing and found the non return valves were leaking and letting air pressure back to the compressor and slowly leaking through the compressor


do you have just air bags or do you still have the coil springs as well


hope this helps

barry
Hi Barry,

I don't have a compressor, just two valves and two bags that I blow up with a pump. Coil springs are in the garage, but they were pretty hopeless as the whole van heeled over on cornering, or in wind, or when anything at all passed! - hence the air bags
tombar is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 14:12
Senior Member
 
dghr272's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Carrickfergus NI
My Motorhome: Arapaho
Posts: 6,236
Thanks: 213
Thanked 526 Times in 491 Posts
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by tombar View Post
Hi Terry,

This isn't normal, then? - I've never had any before. I should maybe say there is 2 or more months between trips and between pressure checks. It's two inflation valves
Sounds like a slow leak to me then, after inflation apply soapy water to the valve stem to check for faulty valves, if no sign of air bubbles it's likely that the airbags have perished.

The units should be no different to your tyres i.e. they should retain pressure even after sitting for a couple of months.

Terry

'Get Brexit Done' anagram - BEING EXTORTED

I'm a Euro Unionist, Testiculi ad Brexitam

Brexit: the incapable in pursuit of the unobtainable to satisfy the delusional. (Edwin Hayward)

In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
dghr272 is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome