Starter battery help Laika Kreos 4009 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

5Likes
  • 1 Post By eurajohn
  • 1 Post By Gimi
  • 2 Post By Gimi
  • 1 Post By bilbaoman

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 31-07-2021, 11:51 Thread Starter

Starter battery help Laika Kreos 4009

Just arrived in France and filling up with fuel, went to start the engine and the battery was flat. Luckily we have a portable jump kit and managed to drive off the forecourt. When the van engine is running V shows as 13.7 on the panel but drops to 2.8 as soon as engine us switched off. The battery is new and was checked before we left the UK, the alternator was also checked and ok. The control panel is showing the ‘battery parallel is on when engine on’ but the little box next to it (it displays that the car battery recharging unit is on) isn’t illuminated. Any help on this or indeed where we would locate the car battery recharging unit or the fuse connected to it would be appreciated! Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 31-07-2021, 12:06

My Motorhome: 2007 Ace Siena
Thanked 1,105 Times in 1,042 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Hi Gimi and welcome to MHF.

When I had this issue, on a Laika as it happens and one other van it was the earth lead it was a bit frayed and the bolt was loose on the gearbox, the other was the positive lead to the starter so a couple to check there.

Knowing what the base vehicle make and model is may help more.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 31-07-2021, 12:17

My Motorhome: Carthago
Your comment " The battery is new and was checked before we left the UK, the alternator was also checked and ok." to me suggests that maybe you have experienced problems similar to this before!
The voltages you quote, to me would suggest a connection problem rather than a physical battery problem.
Do you have a meter you can test the actual battery voltage with, the result of that will prove if it is the battery or not.

If a battery suddenly fails it is usually a single cell at fault, you have 6 cells at a nominal voltage of 2 volts so your 2.8 volts you quote is strange.

Kevs suggestion above is a good first check.

Pudsey_Bear likes this.

John

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 31-07-2021, 12:18 Thread Starter

Thank you for your warm welcome and reply Pudsey Bear! It’s a Fiat Ducato 150 multi jet. We’ll have a look at what you suggested when we next re fuel. We just wondered if the problem was with the internal battery charging unit (not sure where that is!) and if there was a fuse to check. We tried turning the leisure battery off when we last tried to jump start it but it wouldn’t start at all.
Pudsey_Bear likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 31-07-2021, 12:20

My Motorhome: Carthago
Your vehicle battery will be charged directly from the alternator via the Fiat on board system.

John
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 31-07-2021, 12:25 Thread Starter

Thank you Eurajohn. Yes, the problem started on the drive a few weeks ago. It wouldn’t start. So we had the battery changed and the alternator checked, also purchased the jump start kit as a precaution. It’s since been plugged in to the mains on the drive, so no problems starting and we thought the problem was resolved. Stopped twice on the way to the Eurotunnel and started ok. Stopped a third to re fuel in France and wouldn’t start. It definitely seems to be a connection problem.
eurajohn and Pudsey_Bear like this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 31-07-2021, 12:39

The battery is under the carpet, left hand side of the cab, not sure where the fuses are apart from the ones under there, a second place to ask would be the fiatforum.co lots of info and experience on there.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 31-07-2021, 12:47 Thread Starter

Thank you all. That’s great advice and will try the Fiat forum if the checks you mentioned don’t work out.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 31-07-2021, 13:04

Actually I do know where some of the fuses are, (brain fart) to the right of the lower dash there is 150mm panel, and also under a cover near the air filter under the bonnet, there may also be a couple at the base of the A pillar offside, plus of course, there will be the habitation fuses all over the place, I do have some wiring diagrams for Laikas but they're for 2000 models, although if you need help the factory is very good.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 31-07-2021, 13:32

My Motorhome: I drive...autoroller
Bad Earth loose battery terminals
bognormike likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page