Motorhome Facts Forum banner

The van is tripping the house fuse board

2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Stressballs 
#1 ·
Albert went out today to start the van but the battery seems dead

He noticed the electric had tripped out and it was plugged in on the electric hookup

We have solar panels and a week or so of good weather

The habitation battery is showing full, the van battery empty

Plugged in the electric and it blew in the house and van

Any ideas?

Sandra

#2 ·
Too little info to even try a diagnosis Sandra.
If the house trips out it's likely to be an earth problem but not knowing how long it's been off it could be anything. I would start at the van cable and make sure it's OK.

Ray.

Reactions: aldra
#3 ·
First thing I would do is like Ray try a different EHU lead. Last time I had that problem it was the lead. Next would be rodents chewing van electrics. I hope its the former.

Reactions: aldra
#4 ·
Agreed, check the wire first just in case water has got in at either end, or rodents have bitten through anywhere.

The flat battery may indicate it has been off for some time - generally vehicle batteries will last a couple of weeks from disconnection, longer if solar panels can keep it topped up - but that is obviously weather dependent.

I hope that you (or Albert) can work out what has happened. You may need a new vehicle battery as once flat there may be damage to the plates.

Looks like has his work schedule set out for the next few days, but do keep us informed, if we can offer ad ice, many of us will obviously do so, although for most of us it can only be as an “informed amateur” on a “we’ve been there and found this” type basis.

#7 ·
He sort it when his eye feels better
BUT

I DONT BELIEVE IT

the car refused to start at the hospital, the battery

That's the scooter, the van and the car

A triple whammy or

Everything comes in threes

Sandra
I am sure Albert as every thing under control at the monent you dont need any of the three vehicles what he needs now is to be pampered pour him a glass of wine and one for you and relax tomorrow is another day

#6 ·
I keep trying to help our neighbours, except one. By keeping an eye on their 'idle' vehicles and offering to charge them up.

Ray.

#12 ·
We have a BatteryMaster unit in our MH and our solar panels DO keep both sets of batteries charged.

We found that if the alarm was switched on, the vehicle battery would last around 2 - 3 weeks, if it was off then battery would last longer, around 4 weeks. Things like the clock on the dashboard continue to drain current.

The BatteryMaster is very easy to install - from memory, three wires plus locating where to put the small solid state box so it can be seen, as there is an LED on it to indicate that it is working.

#14 ·
I’ve passed on your suggestions to Albert

As the van has taken root on the drive the problem has been consigned to the back burner for the moment

Unless Alberts eye improves he cant drive it anyway , it’s taking a long time post op and he’s turned his attention to the gardens

If he is unable to get his license back we will reverse it back to 3.5 , which may be wise anyway if we decide to sell

When Shadow goes I think we would fancy a smaller van which will make parking nearer to amenities easier as both of us are struggling with mobility now

Thank you for the suggestions

Sandra

Thank you for your suggestions

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.