Base vehicle battery problem - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-04-2020, 13:07

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
Hope the replacement goes well Mike, it sounds like a fairly straightforward task, but there always seems to be a spanner in the works when you least expect it.....

Like you, I remember the single cable connections only from my Morris 1000 Traveller - and there was room to be able to open the bonnet and climb in almost to undertake tasks.... those were the days....
bognormike and raynipper like this.

Any typo that I make means the errorists win.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-04-2020, 14:23 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Neismann & Bischoff Arto 66F
Personal Aire
Just to report back, new Yuasa 110ah battery delivered today, unpacked and installed in less than 15 minutes! Good service from Tayna; I did look at County Batteries (where I got the leisure batteries last time), but they didn't seem to have a compatible 110ah. All working well, radio setting retained, just need to reset the dash clock. One ting I hadn't spotted before, it says in the handbook to isolate the battery by turning the key in the "wrong" direction and pushing in the red switch. I also had a call from the tracker people asking whether I was with the vehicle as the battery had been re-connected. They had called me last night and advised that the power had been disconnected - what little power there was had finally given up! I told them that the new battery was being delivered today, and that was logged. Excellent service all round.
Penquin and nicholsong like this.

As far as I know, the only motorhoming Oxford United supporter in Felpham.

I don't feed trolls!
The Following User Says Thank You to bognormike For This Useful Post:
Penquin (08-04-2020)
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-04-2020, 16:44

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
Glad to hear it Mike, we have always been very impressed with both the advice, delivery and the service of Tana Batteries - really helpful and ready to advise what is most appropriate if (as in our case) size is a constraint.

Any typo that I make means the errorists win.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 20-10-2020, 11:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penquin View Post
I think a new battery is probably due - I got ours from Tayna Batteries, superb price and service, delivery the following day in the UK, 47 hours to here.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by peribro View Post
I replaced my cab battery last summer - bought the new one online from Tayna Batteries and I was pleased with their price and speed of delivery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bognormike View Post
Just to report back, new Yuasa 110ah battery delivered today, unpacked and installed in less than 15 minutes

Hi guys.

Needing to fit a new vehicle \ starter battery to our 2013 Ducato based unit as the current one is, I think, the original factory fit! If it is it's done not bad as 7+ years old.
Been looking around at options and would be interested in hearing what you guys fitted and how you've found them.

bognormike, is the Yuasa you fitted this one - YBX5019?
https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/yuasa/ybx5019/

TIA
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 21-10-2020, 08:30

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
You could use aa B2B jobby, but I have never had a problem using old Motts method, simple and effective, a length of 4mm2 cable with a 10 amp fuse. I have used this on almost every van we've had with no problems except forgetting it was there and blowing a fuse.

As so http://www.motts.org/BRIDGING%20FUSE.htm
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 21-10-2020, 10:05 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gellyneck View Post
Hi guys.

Needing to fit a new vehicle \ starter battery to our 2013 Ducato based unit as the current one is, I think, the original factory fit! If it is it's done not bad as 7+ years old.
Been looking around at options and would be interested in hearing what you guys fitted and how you've found them.

bognormike, is the Yuasa you fitted this one - YBX5019?
https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/yuasa/ybx5019/

TIA
No mine was the 5020 - 110ah, but the same family

I don't feed trolls!
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 21-10-2020, 10:19 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Gellyneck, make sure the possible replacement will fit in the well, the one I got obviously did! And as with mine, and other comments elewhere 6-7 years is about par for the course.

I don't feed trolls!
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 21-10-2020, 11:26

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
I am counting myself lucky that my engine battery is still OK. I have had the Arto for 11 years and I have no idea how old it was then. It s kept topped up on EHU at home.

I talked to my very experienced commercial garage about changing it in anticipation of a likely failure and his advice was that batteries were better built back then so keep it till it shows signs of deterioration.

Two things put me off changing; firstly, the quality of new batteries and secondly, it is a bugger to get in and out of the Arto as it is situated right behind the bonnet hinge and close to the engine so a lot of wiggling at arms length.

Then there is the problem of matching up length, height and terminals (type and whether LH or RH), so as not to have to change the main cableruns/lengths and/or the earth strap. Perhaps I should start research now.

While on the subject of battery dimensions; when I next change hab batteries I would like to fit 2x6v traction batteries in series, but so far I have only been able to find tall ones which would not fit in my battery box. Are there now any low-profile traction batteries?

Geoff
bognormike likes this.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 22-10-2020, 08:31

Quote:
No mine was the 5020 - 110ah, but the same family
Quote:
Gellyneck, make sure the possible replacement will fit in the well, the one I got obviously did! And as with mine, and other comments elewhere 6-7 years is about par for the course.

Many thanks for info.
As the YBX5020 wouldn't fit (too long) went for the YBX5019 and, like you, sourced from Tayna.
When I spoke to them they suggested either that or an Exide EA1000 which was a few pounds cheaper.
Should be with me in a couple of days and then the back breaking starts. "Fortunately", ours in under the cab floor in front of the passengers seat so probably a bit more accessible. Have disconnected it previously when removing the airbag ECU however not heaved it out of the battery box yet!
It seems the current battery (FIAMM?) has a vent pipe attached to one end and hope this fits OK into the replacement.
At least the replacement is a sealed \ maintenance free battery whereas the original isn't and I don't think it was ever touched when in for service at FIAT! Probably part of the reason it's on it's way out. I'll check the acid levels when I get it out, top it up (if required), charge it up "offline" and if it does retain charge keep it as a spare "jump start" battery at home.
Again, thanks for input.
bognormike likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page