On the go charger for leisure batteries? - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 16:21 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
On the go charger for leisure batteries?

I'm not sure if that's what you call them...

My problem:
I can't get my MH close enough to put her on EHU.

My batteries:
2 x 95Ah + 140W solar panel (tho the MH sits under trees, albeit without leaves at this time of the year)

Recent readings:
Midnight, 12.2
8.30am 12.2 after c. 30mins heating.
10am 12.0 after 1.5hrs heating
10.45 12.2 (no heating since last)
11.45 12.5 after bit of sun
12.30 12.7 after c. 35mins driving

What I'm thinking of is a device I can charge up in the house then use to charge up the MH batteries. But I'm not sure how effective they are? Can you just plug into a 12v or USB or do you have to use cables directly to the batteries?

I feel the figures above are not very healthy. They're only 2 and a half years old.

Jean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 17:12

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
How about a long lead Jean. I got lots.

The other idea of charging up another 12v battery and then lugging it to the van and connecting to the van batts will only give a little top up. Unless you invest in an inverter powered by the portable 12v battery to 'charge' the van batts. But again will only just top up a bit.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #3 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 17:17

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
Your figures aren't healthy.

I'm fairly sure that your charge something in the house and take it to the van idea is really a non starter since effectively you'd need to be charging another set of batteries and exchanging them each time to get the job done.

There are some options like a little onboard gas generator. A few people on here have those and have rated them highly. I confess, having had a couple demonstrated to me. that I found them a bit noisy. Then there's a small generator you can keep in the van and run out side when it's needed. The Honda i10 is a good option for that, if a bit expensive. There are copies at very favourable prices. I've used that method and found it Ok so long as there were no neighbours. People have made elaborate enclosures to silence them. Don't know how effective that would be but it would be bulky. All of the generator options are more or less noisy and will probably annoy neighbours.

Then there's the Efoy. If they're still selling them. Mot a lot of power out put but silent and will bring batteries up overnight. Very expensive.

I'll post some options.

Propaganda works best when those who are being manipulated are confident they are acting on their own free will.
Joseph Goebbels

Last edited by erneboy; 01-12-2019 at 17:20.

post #4 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 17:23

This looks a decent little generator: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Instant-Por...s%2C224&sr=8-7

Some of those little generators can be converted to run off LPG if you have fixed tanks or Gaslow.

https://www.efoy.com

I have a second hand Efoy which I don't need any longer, but I doubt that's your best option as getting fuel can be a bit of a problem.

I forgot to mention lots of solar which will work well enough in countries where there's proper daylight in winter. Not so much in Ireland though. Fine in summer.

Propaganda works best when those who are being manipulated are confident they are acting on their own free will.
Joseph Goebbels
post #5 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 18:10
EJB

My Motorhome: Burstner Nexxo t620G
What is the heating...is it space heating to keep the MH warm inside....if so it is not required unless you are resident in the MH?
There are many 12v charge packs but they are used to simply start a vehicles engine.

Ted.
I try and state simple facts in a nice way.
post #6 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 18:48

My Motorhome: swift sundance 620fb
hi

my thoughts are possibly a second solar panel that has a controller mounted to it that has a couple of crocodile clips

possibly a folding 100w

you could then face it towards the area where the sun is if you have the space and security

and that should work better than just your flat mounted roof panel

barry
post #7 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 21:30 Thread Starter

Thanks very much for all the info.

That's good to know that my original thoughts should not be put into practice!

I'll have a look at the options suggested.

Thanks again!

Jean
post #8 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 22:36 Thread Starter

A question (a few actually!) re the generator linked to by Alan - would that need to sit outside when running?

I do have gaslow tanks - would that generator be suitable to run off them, and would it have to sit outside when doing so?

How long would it take the generator to improve the readings from 12.2 to something acceptable? And what IS acceptable?

Sorry to EJB (Ted?) - forgot to say that yes, my heating is fan-driven but I don't have it on when not in the van.

Barry (powerplus) - not sure I want to depend solely on solar when in Ireland.

Jean
post #9 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 00:20

Long cable is the best solution but I'm guessing that's not possible in your case. The little Honda Generator would have to be outside the van as it runs on petrol, but would probably fit below the van, out of the rain etc. It's a little noisy but not very, a lot less than most other generators out there , after a while most would fail to notice it, unless closer than say 50ft to it.
One problem is that they are very 'nickable' so you would need to be in a secure or remote location if you intended to leave it unattended.
If you want you can nip down and borrow mine to try it .
raynipper likes this.
post #10 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 08:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiwawa View Post
A question (a few actually!) re the generator linked to by Alan - would that need to sit outside when running?

I do have gaslow tanks - would that generator be suitable to run off them, and would it have to sit outside when doing so?

How long would it take the generator to improve the readings from 12.2 to something acceptable? And what IS acceptable?

Sorry to EJB (Ted?) - forgot to say that yes, my heating is fan-driven but I don't have it on when not in the van.

Barry (powerplus) - not sure I want to depend solely on solar when in Ireland.
Yes outside. I put mine under the back of the van if it was raining. I chained through the handle and through a loop on one of the rear steady legs.

You'd have to ask the seller if there's a conversion for it. There is for the Honda. I ran mine from the BBQ point.

You can calculate how long to top up. If tour batteries are, for example 100ah each and are fairly flat they probably need say 40ah worth of charge each to bring them up to fully charged. I always used my generator to run the van on board charger and could use electricity for other things at the same time. Watching telly in the evening or whatever. If your onboard charger can deliver 8 to10 amps, I imagine most can, then to replace 80ah of charge will take 8 to 10 hours.

Don't allow your batteries to get as flat as that and less will do. You could maintain the battery levels at say 80-90% charged by running the generator for a few hours in the evening. I'd say three or four should do it.

Joseph Goebbels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page