22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 18-04-2019, 19:27
EJB

My Motorhome: Burstner Nexxo t620G
Barry's figures look good to me....the numbers that is
raynipper and nicholsong like this.

Ted.
I try and state simple facts in a nice way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 18-04-2019, 20:59

My Motorhome: Pilote Reference P716
Personal Aire
Why does anyone let the batteries drop that low?
A Solar panel and a cheap B2B and most of the year you won't need hook-up at home or away.
And save a fortune by not having to go on sites and pay for leccy.

For Videos of the Aires we've used, Eurotunnel journeys and many other more obscure Videos have a look at - www.youtube.com/user/KeithChesterfield

For Recommended Vets in Europe have a look at - https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?msa=0&mid=zTPBDq9Df4L4.kSm3eLuvVb2g
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 18-04-2019, 21:41

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
Better safe than sorry Barry, yes, of course it does drop down to 12.1 but my concern level goes up well above "calm" into, "I am just going to turn these lights off"

We do have solar panels and they do work very efficiently here ( not surprisingly) and my "happy" value is usually restored fairly quickly....

But thanks for your concerns 😃
ob1 and barryd like this.

Remember Jo Cox and what she stood for.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 18-04-2019, 22:24
ob1

My Motorhome: Chausson Welcome 630
Don't forget that batteries in general can go well below their minimum discharge voltages without harm whilst under load. The correct reading is taken when the batteries are 'resting' (a couple of hours after coming off significant load without being charged). Or just like you and me having pulled ourselves together after a heavy night out.

Incidentally, for anyone interested in, or needing an insight into battery technology, I can highly recommend this company's webpage (aandncaravanservices.co.uk.) Their home page is a mine of information on battery technology covering Caravans and Motorhomes like you never knew existed!

Ron
Penquin and nicholsong like this.

A fool and his money are soon partying.

Last edited by ob1; 18-04-2019 at 22:32.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 18-04-2019, 22:26

My Motorhome: Burstner A747
Excellent that chart Barry, thank you 👍
Penquin likes this.

Frank
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 19-04-2019, 09:09

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Personal Aire
Of course life was simpler and less stressful for all before we all had digital read outs of your battery status. If the lights were a bit dim you maybe thought about charging the battery. Now we sit and watch the meter or play with the MPPT Controller to see how many AMPS/Watts are pouring in (or out) of our precious battery. I even can tell how many Watts my TV is using or that it adds a watt or two if I plug in some USB speakers or that oddly in northern Scotland in bright sunlight in mid summer I get more watts going in than I do in St Tropez! Bonkers! Or maybe its to do with latitude I dunno. Either way its satisfying to see the precious power pouring into the van. Maybe its just me.

I think I have had about four or five years out of this current battery which I bought in Caen for about a hundred euros so if it croaks anytime soon I Reckon thats not too bad really.
ob1, Penquin and Pudsey_Bear like this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 19-04-2019, 09:23

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
'cor I can remember you buying that one too, was it really that long ago ?

Remember Jo Cox and what she stood for.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 19-04-2019, 12:31

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penquin View Post
'cor I can remember you buying that one too, was it really that long ago ?
Yep 2014 October. Here is the thread. https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/18...tery-woes.html

It was a pretty dismal end to a long trip really. The old scooter (Pig 1) coughed its last around the same time as the battery decided to give up the ghost.

I got an Alphaline battery in the end, 125ah. To be honest Ive never thought it was quite as good as the old 110ah that was in there when we got the van seven years previously but to be fair our usage has increased dramatically over the years and especially since we got the solar panel.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 19-04-2019, 13:34

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryd View Post
Yep 2014 October. Here is the thread. https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/18...tery-woes.html

It was a pretty dismal end to a long trip really. The old scooter (Pig 1) coughed its last around the same time as the battery decided to give up the ghost.

I got an Alphaline battery in the end, 125ah. To be honest Ive never thought it was quite as good as the old 110ah that was in there when we got the van seven years previously but to be fair our usage has increased dramatically over the years and especially since we got the solar panel.

Only one battery? Are you on EHU at home? You have hardly been anywhere for two years.

I would expect a battery to last more than 5 years if it is looked after.

I like 2 x batteries because if a cell goes down one, can disconnect that battery and one is still up and running till getting a replacement.
raynipper and Pudsey_Bear like this.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 19-04-2019, 14:06

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholsong View Post
Only one battery? Are you on EHU at home? You have hardly been anywhere for two years.

I would expect a battery to last more than 5 years if it is looked after.

I like 2 x batteries because if a cell goes down one, can disconnect that battery and one is still up and running till getting a replacement.
2017 we were away in Europe for over four months. Last summer and some of autumn we just spent in Flamborough and that was it. The van didnt move for 7 weeks but we were fine on Solar. Later on in the back end we hooked up.

two batteries means another 25kg over the back end and IMO just not needed as one is more than enough for the times we are off hookup and in the winter I would be on hookup mainly anyway. Only time its an issue is late autumn really if we are abroad. Its just a battery at the end of the day, the cost of just over a full tank of diesel. If it dies, just get another one. I would say five years of heavy usage is pretty good. It owes me nothing.
Pudsey_Bear likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page