1997 swift kontiki - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 21:49 Thread Starter

1997 swift kontiki

1997 swift kontiki. My main battery was flat after parking mh up. I plugged it into the house mains. To charge the battery. The switch for main battery was selected and the charger was switched on. But it became apparent that the battery was not charging. I placed the selector switch to the central position which the book says isolates both batteries, but the unit should now power the 12 volt lights but its now not working. I'm asking if any one else has had this issue. The manual says about it going into safe mode. It's fitted with a pms4. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 22:05

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Personal Aire
Welcome to the forum.

If its the same as mine that switch does not charge the engine battery in any position if you have the van hooked up. It will charge the leisure battery if the switch is set to the left which should show the rear of the van and this is the position it needs to be in for the lights etc to work if your hooked up or not. To charge the engine battery on mine the only way is from a proper 240v charger plugged into the mains and connected under the bonnet. My Kontiki loses engine battery charge after a couple of weeks being stood so I just disconnect the negative connector when not in use.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 22:12

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
How long was it parked up for ? Our Kongiki vehicle battery is flattened after a couple of weeks if the alarm is activated by the key press.

If it has not been parked for a while the battery could have reached the end of it's life and need replacing - do you know how old the battery is ?

You may find it useful to disconnect the box above the food (assuming that your's is the same as ours) by gently prising the surround off - there is a small slot at each end in which a flat screwdriver can be gebtky inserted and then turned which will pop off the surround. The box is held in by two screws (from memory) with cross heads. Remove these and the unit can be pulled straight out gently.

Disconnect the plug in box behind and leave out for 30 seconds. Reconnect, replace the entire assembly and surround and then try.

All of that is described in the Swift Handbook ( not to hand for me - so thus is all from memory....)

Try it again. If there is still no power it could be a fault in the mains supply (probably best to check that thoroughly before all if the above)' check it gas not been tripped, check the supply is live at the wall, check the wires by trying an alternative one.

Those are the basic checks I would suggest - but check the supply all the way from the course before doing anything.

It may be that the house ( if it is from a house) supply to that docket has been tripped by eg damp in the connectors. I am assuming of course that you have checked that the input is switched on.....

Hope that gives you some thoughts...

Remember Jo Cox and what she stood for.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 22:27 Thread Starter

On my model you can charge the main battery,or the leisure battery separately just by selecting the battery from the switch. The central position disconnects the battery's. And powers the lights and pump and heater fan. The 12 volt light is on but no power is coming out.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 22:36 Thread Starter

The battery was new last April. Everything is working fine except the battery battery charger and the 12 volt supply to the lights and pump and fan. The 12 volt charger light is on but no power coming out. All fuses are good. You can select switch to leisure battery and the lights all work. I have this weekend charged the battery from a separate charger and it started fist time. I have now disconnected the earth and will reconect next weekend and see if its held the charge. I think something has gone wrong with the unit. There's all ways something to do I fined.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page