Why are my lights dim? - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old 16-10-2016, 16:47

My Motorhome: I drive...Auto Trail Navajo
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEMMY View Post
"Fluorescent"

tony
Oh thanks from me.
You can be handy sometimes

Jan x

I'm Jan
We learn something new every day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old 16-10-2016, 17:22

My Motorhome: Devon Provence
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEMMY View Post
"Fluorescent"

tony
Ah ha!!! Hence the comment about the spell check error which I didn't notice first time!

Infamy, infamy! They've all got it in for me!
post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old 16-10-2016, 18:25

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
The TV is VERY voltage sensitive IMO, so it sounds as if the wires to the lights may be the problem, BUT where it splits off I have not got a clue - it could be that at that point there is an "iffy" junction which perhaps simply needs cleaning. Your lights WOULD PROBABLY be wired in parallel and the first one on the chain may be the site of the poor connection..... but I do not know which is the first and thee wiring diagram probably won't help.....

The voltmeter may show a voltage drop, but if it is a poor connection it may be the current getting through rather than the voltage - voltage is the equivalent of the water pressure for water flowing through a pipe, whereas the current (amps) is the equivalent of the volume of water - watts is the power (volts x amps) - think back to an old water wheel, it requires a large volume of water at low pressure, or a smaller volume at high pressure to generate useful power to e.g. grind corn.

So the volt reading may not show a difference if the poor connection simply limits the current that can pass - hence the earlier comment about thin wires - thin wires resist greater current going through....

Not a lot of help, but a poor junction between the bright and the dim ones MAY help you locate it - check the connections on the bright one and ensure they are tight and clean.

I hope.......

Dave

Thinking of ALL the front line staff working to try to help others;Doctors, nurses, paramedics, cleaners, NA's, catering staff, support services and all others. Their work is appreciated more than you can ever realise-keep strong and safe.

Any typo that I make means the errorists win.

Remember Jo Cox and what she stood for.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk

post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old 16-10-2016, 19:16 Thread Starter

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,066 Times in 925 Posts
Personal Aire
Thanks all (I think )

Ill do some checking over the next couple of days. I suppose like a house maybe rewiring is required after a while. This van is 20 years old now.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old 17-10-2016, 19:52

I am assuming these units operate off the 12v supply NOT MAINS
If you can get to the light unit terminals than applying a voltmeter with the light switched OFF should indicate the same voltage as at the battery . Now switch the light on and measure again. There will be a difference .
A couple of points though, as fluorescent tubes get older, the light output falls. Probably the inverter ( in the light unit) also gets less efficient. Dont forget that the older fluorescent fittings draw about an amp or so in any case so whilst they are more efficient than filament lamps, they are not particularly effective at converting amps into lumens!

If you can change them to more efficient LED's then you will get more light ( lumens).
Also because they draw less current there will be less voltage drop on the wiring ( even if there is a bad connection somewhere) but it would be best to first check if you do have a connection fault. It may even be a corroded fuse holder somewhere
If you really want to get involved measure the voltage drop from battery to the units ( with them switched on) that should tell you if its a 12v supply problem or just poor earth returns.

Hope this helps and I haven't confused anyone

Mike
barryd and barryd like this.
post #16 of 55 (permalink) Old 17-10-2016, 20:30 Thread Starter

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike800966 View Post
I am assuming these units operate off the 12v supply NOT MAINS
If you can get to the light unit terminals than applying a voltmeter with the light switched OFF should indicate the same voltage as at the battery . Now switch the light on and measure again. There will be a difference .
A couple of points though, as fluorescent tubes get older, the light output falls. Probably the inverter ( in the light unit) also gets less efficient. Dont forget that the older fluorescent fittings draw about an amp or so in any case so whilst they are more efficient than filament lamps, they are not particularly effective at converting amps into lumens!

If you can change them to more efficient LED's then you will get more light ( lumens).
Also because they draw less current there will be less voltage drop on the wiring ( even if there is a bad connection somewhere) but it would be best to first check if you do have a connection fault. It may even be a corroded fuse holder somewhere
If you really want to get involved measure the voltage drop from battery to the units ( with them switched on) that should tell you if its a 12v supply problem or just poor earth returns.

Hope this helps and I haven't confused anyone

Mike
Thanks. I didnt know they had an inverter. (yes they are 12v) The twin one in the bathroom clearly has some circuitry but the single ones dont (or maybe they do). I bet they are the original ones and ancient. Ive not looked yet but you might have hit on something there I suspect as if you remember I changed all the tubes for new ones.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #17 of 55 (permalink) Old 17-10-2016, 21:20

My Motorhome: Hymer S740 on Sprinter 616 (2004)
Can't go give you chapter and verse at the moment but I spent a long time last year researching 12v f tubes vs LEDs re lumen for lumen. In the end I was surprised to discover that there was not a great difference between the two efficiency wise. And simply replaced my dim worn out tubes.

Dick
post #18 of 55 (permalink) Old 17-10-2016, 22:31 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glandwr View Post
Can't go give you chapter and verse at the moment but I spent a long time last year researching 12v f tubes vs LEDs re lumen for lumen. In the end I was surprised to discover that there was not a great difference between the two efficiency wise. And simply replaced my dim worn out tubes.

Dick
I remember you mentioning it which is why I did the same. The issue is not the bulbs clearly though. I do wish (as does Mrs D) that Swift had put a bulb above the toilet seat as its always a bit of a gamble with a dim light behind me whether your aim is right or not. This field has been well watered though.

I did try a stick on battery powered LED light but it fell off mid flow and went straight into the Thetford. I think its probably floating about in the Med by now.

post #19 of 55 (permalink) Old 18-10-2016, 07:27

My Motorhome: Bessacarr E725
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryd View Post
I remember you mentioning it which is why I did the same. The issue is not the bulbs clearly though. I do wish (as does Mrs D) that Swift had put a bulb above the toilet seat as its always a bit of a gamble with a dim light behind me whether your aim is right or not. This field has been well watered though.

I did try a stick on battery powered LED light but it fell off mid flow and went straight into the Thetford. I think its probably floating about in the Med by now.
I thought your 'work' had given you expertise with Velcro and doudle-sided tape. Clearly that is not the case.

You need 3M VHB double sided tape. I think I'll set myself up as an IT ex-spurt. Maybe.
Pudsey_Bear and Pudsey_Bear like this.

I'm daft and proud of it.
post #20 of 55 (permalink) Old 18-10-2016, 09:49

My Motorhome: Chausson Welcome 85 2007
Have you thought of taking off your Ray-bans?

I've noticed in the winter our ceiling flower ants are very dim due to low temperature and take quite a while to warm up and get to full brightness. Has it got that cold 'oop norf'?
Pudsey_Bear and Pudsey_Bear like this.

I'm not signing anything.

The two impulses in travel are to get away from home, and the other is to pursue something - a landscape, people, an exotic place. Certainly finding a place that you like or discovering something unusual is a very sustaining thing in travel.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page