Making MoHo sockets work form the inverter - Page 3 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 28-09-2016, 00:25

This is how mine is done, and it's perfectly safe.

Disconnect cable serving socket ring circuit from its MCB (make sure the ring only serves sockets and not the battery charger, fridge or heating etc.)
Mount single socket next to inverter
Connect the single socket to the MCB, in place of the cable serving the socket ring
Connect a plug to the cable serving the socket ring which has been disconnected from the MCB

Insert the plug in the socket connected to the MCB = socket ring live from mains
Insert the plug into inverter = socket ring live from inverter

Simple, safe and cheap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 28-09-2016, 08:07 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 23-11-2016, 21:06

I tried the auto change over method some time ago, the buzzing from the relay made it unacceptable.
What I did in the end was cut into the output cable from the 240 distribution and terminate it in an ordinary unswitched socket. This was mounted adjacent to the inverter, I then put a standard 13amp plug on the cable feeding the van 240 circuits.
When I want to power from the inverter, I simply remove the plug from the hookup supplied socket and put it into the inverter output socket.
Simple and safe
Mike

Thsi is almost the same as the method suggested by Jean Luc, apologies!
raynipper and raynipper like this.

Last edited by mike800966; 23-11-2016 at 21:08. Reason: Duplication of pevious post by Jean Luc

post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 24-11-2016, 07:43

We have a socket in the garage that is connected to the inverter. The only thing we use off it is the microwave, we also have a remote switch for the inverter. Porridge in the microwave saves time and washing a sticky pan. We can reach the switch through the small door between the habitation area and the garage.
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 24-11-2016, 09:18

My Motorhome: Autotrail Chieftain SE (2006)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike800966 View Post
I tried the auto change over method some time ago, the buzzing from the relay made it unacceptable.
What I did in the end was cut into the output cable from the 240 distribution and terminate it in an ordinary unswitched socket. This was mounted adjacent to the inverter, I then put a standard 13amp plug on the cable feeding the van 240 circuits.
When I want to power from the inverter, I simply remove the plug from the hookup supplied socket and put it into the inverter output socket.
Simple and safe
Mike

Thsi is almost the same as the method suggested by Jean Luc, apologies!
It is also the same solution that I posted in reply to the OP on 25/9. I even posted a picture of my setup although for some reason it is sideways on.
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 24-11-2016, 10:21

My Motorhome: Adria Compact SLS
What sort of battery capacity are we using, just interested. Chas.
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 24-11-2016, 10:46

I have a three way switch mounted that I can turn to, 240 hook up, inverter, or generator.

The inverter is wired into the fuse box on the van as is the generator, any 240 power is run down the existing 240 volt on the van as on hook up, with the 3 way switch the power source has to be switched manually to what ever source of power I am using making it so no two things can operate at the same time...

The Honda Generator is converted to run on gas and lives in the old outside gas bottle storage, no longer needed now we have an underslung gas tank.

All this set up works well apart from one thing which can be resolved on the inverter side, when the 240 volts goes through the system it is effectively charging up the batteries on the van so not very efficient, but we usually have the inverter on when traveling to fire up the slow cooker placed in the sink, using the handy socket near by so we can have a meal when we stop.... With the engine running no problems with the inefficiency of the inverter set up, works for us.. to watch the telly I just plug it straight into the inverter with the three way switch set to the 240 volt setting, isolating the inverter side..

ray.

Just watching a shifty looking geezer in the library searching intently through the 'S' section of the dictionary, he's stopped now.

I think he's up to something. . .. . . ray......
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 24-11-2016, 12:52

Send a message via MSN to Pat-H
Ray what you want for slow cooker when traveling is a pot on the manifold

Or a 12V slow cooker http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-Slow-Cooker-/321991912324
rayrecrok and rayrecrok like this.

Pat

Europe. We're not out till we're out. Until then we're still in. Mind you out is looking a lot like in but with less benefits!!!

Last edited by Pat-H; 24-11-2016 at 13:46.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pat-H For This Useful Post:
Harrers (24-11-2016)
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 25-11-2016, 22:17

My Motorhome: I drive...
Just to add apart from the Fridge , heating and battery charger getting 240v the outside hook up socket is also live . very dangerous for
anybody was fiddling around the van , kids etc.

If this was a temp measure how come it has been done on last 3 vans ? Just thought I would ask.

I have two circuits running side by side in van . one set off inverter and the other off EHU
One socket in the kitchen area is on a hidden flex and the plug in where two sockets are in cupboard so can swop that one if
I want to use it on either supply.

The other dangerous thing that ids done a lot is run the van aboard on EHU without checking if the polarity is reversed.
Worse still know it is reversed without correcting it.
They think they are protected by the RCD.
If a fault occurs the rcd trips on the neutral side and the van is still live ..

Stay safe

LT man
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 26-11-2016, 08:55

My Motorhome: Autotrail Dakota Super Lowline
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT Man View Post
Just to add apart from the Fridge , heating and battery charger getting 240v the outside hook up socket is also live . very dangerous for
anybody was fiddling around the van , kids etc.

If this was a temp measure how come it has been done on last 3 vans ? Just thought I would ask.

I have two circuits running side by side in van . one set off inverter and the other off EHU
One socket in the kitchen area is on a hidden flex and the plug in where two sockets are in cupboard so can swop that one if
I want to use it on either supply.

The other dangerous thing that ids done a lot is run the van aboard on EHU without checking if the polarity is reversed.
Worse still know it is reversed without correcting it.
They think they are protected by the RCD.
If a fault occurs the rcd trips on the neutral side and the van is still live ..

Stay safe

LT man
Good point regards the EHU point being live but as far as the reverse polarity is concerned, I thought an RCD was a double pole device so if it is tripped then both the neutral and live will be disconnected.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page