Which leisure batteries? - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 29-10-2015, 22:16

My Motorhome: Hymer B598PL
Their site says they do not deliver to Ireland, but I suspect that refers to the Republic of Ireland. They also state they deliver to the UK and it accepted my BT30 post code, with, I am pleasantly surprised to see, no surcharge. There are post codes which draw a premium but they start with K, so might be worth a phone call to double check.

Davy
jiwawa and jiwawa like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 29-10-2015, 22:35

My Motorhome: Rapido 746 2006
Banner Batteries

I'm a HUGE fan of Banner batteries. On test they always give more ampere hours than specified. Many others in the same test give around half - often these are rebadged starter batteries, a completely different kettle of fish
jiwawa and jiwawa like this.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 29-10-2015, 23:16

My Motorhome: Sold it.
Personal Aire
Yes indeed kev, but I have to say I was thinking of the X250. are we talking the earlier model that has batts under seats.
I'm having bad day, i think i shall log off an come back in a couple of dats. chow.

cabby

Don't be silly all the time ask your question.

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 29-10-2015, 23:29 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
I got a reply from the alphabattery people re the Xplorer 125Ah. They charge £10 per battery to deliver to NI.

I explained that the ebay site was showing free postage to BT and he said that was an error but they would always phone up and inform the buyer of the extra charge - seems an odd way to do things.

My fitter suggested 2 x Alphaline dc31 - anyone used them? They would be £130 as opposed to £170
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 29-10-2015, 23:46

Make sure that your charger has the right charging profile for AGM, before you get any. Many chargers only cater for Gel or Wet but AGM require something inbetween. In general, Gel are best for leisure (deep cycle) use.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 30-10-2015, 00:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWW View Post
I got a reply from the alphabattery people re the Xplorer 125Ah. They charge £10 per battery to deliver to NI.
We installed a pair of the Xplorer 125s three years ago and had them professionally tested this year. They are fine even though they were taken down to 8v on a couple of occasions (hence the test).
Would always recommend sealed (maintenance free) wet batteries with at least 500 cycles for motorhome leisure use. AG are just not up to the cycles and gel really don't stand being drained too far down. Lead-acid is still the most reliable technology even though the concept of the water being retained is a myth!
Patrick
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 30-10-2015, 07:46

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabby View Post
Yes indeed kev, but I have to say I was thinking of the X250. are we talking the earlier model that has batts under seats.
I'm having bad day, i think i shall log off an come back in a couple of dats. chow.

cabby

You are having a bad day Pip it is an X250

Indeed log off, but make it six months
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 30-10-2015, 08:30

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWW View Post

I explained that the ebay site was showing free postage to BT and he said that was an error but they would always phone up and inform the buyer of the extra charge - seems an odd way to do things.

My fitter suggested 2 x Alphaline dc31 - anyone used them? They would be £130 as opposed to £170
Well you can use any you like so long as they will physically fit your battery trays or buy some new ones, I've not heard anything about the DC31s so can't comment, but I have suggested the ones I have to many people on a few forums and no one has reported a problem yest over the past 5 years, I'm very much into using what is recommended by many over what one person has said, I also tend to disbelieve (until I hear from users) anything someone selling tells me.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 30-10-2015, 12:14

My Motorhome: Rapido 7090
Personal Aire
I tend to think of leisure batteries as belonging to one of 3 categories.
First you have the undisputed, top quality, branded, expensive, heavy, long lasting gel or flooded batteries: Best for heavy users, eg full timing, skiing etc.
Second are the good quality, branded, mid priced, medium weight with confirmed decent life expectancy batteries: best for more usual touring.
Lastly are the unbranded, cheap, light weight batteries with unqualified life expectancy claims: fine for short trips or where hookup is mostly used.

For example. (using a 110Ah battery as an example).

Exide/Victron gel batteries or Trojan/Varta professional flooded batteries (maybe using 2 x 6v batteries).
£200 - £280
35kg
800-1000 cycles at 50% depth of discharge (dod) 600 at 80% dod
made in Europe or USA
highest vibration resistance, owners often report 8 year life expectancy.
You don’t need such a big battery bank because of the deep discharge capacity, if you do then you may need enhanced charging.

Banner Energy Bull, Varta Dual, etc
£100 - £120
250 cycles @ 50% dod
26 - 28kg
made in Europe
proven performance by reputable magazine tests

Alphaline DC31 and other rebranded batteries
£75
unsubstaniated claims of 500 @ 50% (but the manufacturers (Atlasbx.co.kr) state 120 cycles!)
22kg
made in Far East

Canoe & Kayak manufacturer/retailer

Last edited by WildThingsKev; 30-10-2015 at 12:21.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 30-10-2015, 15:26

My Motorhome: Hymer B584
If you haven't already it is worth reading this.....................http://www.atlanticmotorhomeservices...technology.php

I and quite a few others have taken his advice.
kenp and kenp like this.

Cheers
Bill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page