Dometic fridge on full power - Page 3 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 27-03-2015, 18:40

My Motorhome: Pilote 740C Sensation
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron1 View Post
What I still don't understand is, if there is >12v present at the element connector why is the element not heating and the fridge not cooling ..or is there another relay between the connector block and the element that operates when it receives the signal from the alternator?

Mel.
On my Adria the 12v element supply that arrives at the fridge when the engine is running is switched by a relay attached to the rear of the fridge. The negative supply goes directly to the element whilst the positive is switched through the relay to the element. The relay coil is energised by a signal from the fridge when it is set to 12v or when set to AES and no 230v or gas is detected.
Photo attached of my relay. It had got hot and melted one of the contacts and the lead to the element had become disconnected. I suggest you measure the voltage at the relay switching contacts. The supply is on Relay contact 30 and the supply to the element on contact 57. The switching voltage, 12v, should be across contacts 55 & 56 to operate the relay. If you disconnect the element at the relay and measure its resistance it should be approx 2ohms.

Last edited by rayc; 29-03-2015 at 10:45.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 28-03-2015, 09:42

My Motorhome: Hymer B 655 SL
Personal Aire
Thanks again Ray,
That looks the same as the relay on my Hymer, so just to clarify, the 13-14v that is present at the heating element connector block is switched to the element when the alternator sends a signal to this relay? If that's the case I'm still at a loss as to where the"permanent" feed disappeared to for a couple of days....weird!
Mel.

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

"Wings, the band the Beatles could have been" - Alan Partridge.

There are eleven types of people in the world, those that understand Roman numerals........and those that donīt.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 28-03-2015, 10:37

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron1 View Post
Thanks again Ray,
That looks the same as the relay on my Hymer, so just to clarify, the 13-14v that is present at the heating element connector block is switched to the element when the alternator sends a signal to this relay?
Mel.
Sort off. On my Adria the voltage arrives at the element terminal block when the engine is running. The negative goes to the element. The positive is connected to the switching terminal block D+ and the relay. When the 12v option of the fridge is selected then it triggers the relay to feed the positive to the element.
Baron1 and Baron1 like this.

Last edited by rayc; 29-03-2015 at 10:45.

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 29-03-2015, 11:06

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayc View Post
Sort off. On my Adria the voltage arrives at the element terminal block when the engine is running. The negative goes to the element. The positive is connected to the switching terminal block D+ and the relay. When the 12v option of the fridge is selected then it triggers the relay to feed the positive to the element.
I have reattached the drawing that I had placed on here as I seem to have inadvertently deleted all the attachments I have put on any post since I joined the forum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dometic AES Fridge.jpg (623.4 KB, 11 views)
Baron1 and Baron1 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page