Battery Charging by Solar/Efoy? - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 25-12-2012, 08:32 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Adria Twin 600SP
Battery Charging by Solar/Efoy?

Hi again
Wife of Alshymer here again!!!
Thank you all for your replies to my Volts/Amps topic.
I think that I can understand it more now. I was mostly confused due to a faulty battery, which has now been changed.
One further point that I would appreciate clarification on is-
With having a 120w solar solar panel and the 1200w Efoy, will these charge the battery simultaneously or will the solar take priority?
Happy Christmas to you all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 25-12-2012, 08:47

Send a message via MSN to premiermotorhomes
Good morning Alshymer and Happy Christmas,

The Efoy monitors the battery state and will only turn on when the terminal voltage hits 12.3V, the solar panel will permanently be charging.

Working on this basis, then the Efoy will only kick in when the load on the batteries is greater than the solar panels can compensate for, which in turn will be more likely to happen in the winter months with the sun lower, and in colder conditions.

If i'm wrong, or anyone can add more please do.

Regards,
Chris

Chichester, West Sussex, PO20 7BU 01243 511189

Members of Checkatrade, Trading Standards Buy With Confidence. NCC Approved Dealership & Approved Workshop.

If my post has helped you, please click thanks!
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 25-12-2012, 09:00

My Motorhome: Mercedes 614D
Personal Aire
Basically as Chris says, the Efoy and the solar controller both have set points that determine when charging stops and starts.

The controller we have on the trailer has four settings for different battery types, but it is at 13.60V at present, and will charge the battery to hold that voltage.

Thus if the Efoy has a lower starting point, the solar panel is always going to be doing the background charge.

Peter

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 25-12-2012, 09:10

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
I would recommend not using the Efoy unless it's really needed. It sounds as though you are leaving it on automatic which I consider rather wasteful.

This https://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftopict-134337-.html may help explain why.

Regards, Alan.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 25-12-2012, 09:41 Thread Starter

Battery Charging Solar/Efoy

Hi All
Thanks for those.
Alan, this is the reason I asked the question. Whether or not I could maybe just use the Efoy when really necessary.
Does it use fuel when in Standby mode?
Best wishes
Alshymer
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 25-12-2012, 09:56

No it won't use fuel in standby. I assume you mean standby on automatic?

Did you read my post on the other thread, keeping it on automatic will use it's rather limited life span much more quickly than necessary. That will end up being costly in the long run. It is best to turn it on manually when it's really needed and off again when it's replaced sufficient charge, Alan.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 25-12-2012, 10:01

Send a message via MSN to premiermotorhomes
As I understand it, Automatic mode will only use fuel when the voltage drops below 12.3V, over this voltage is purely a monitoring process where no fuel will be used.

I would personally leave it operating in Automatic mode because you have the solar panel which will keep Efoy use to a minimum as it should only come on after heavy use, though I understand the points made about manual operation as this provides more control on operation whilst minimising fuel consumption.

Perhaps it would be best to try it in Automatic mode and see how you go, and if its coming on too frequently or if you know you will be driving or have EHU soon then you could just use manual at your discretion.

Regards,
Chris

Chichester, West Sussex, PO20 7BU 01243 511189

Members of Checkatrade, Trading Standards Buy With Confidence. NCC Approved Dealership & Approved Workshop.

If my post has helped you, please click thanks!
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 25-12-2012, 10:31

Efoy and solar panel will almost certainly operate together, which will mean at times that the Efoy is being used to do work that the solar panel would have done given time. Solar energy is free-ish, power form your Efoy is very far from free. Why leave it on auto if you don't need to replace the charge right at that time. Let's say it is evening but the sun will come up in the morning, or it's evening but you will be driving the next day?

In my view the automatic setting is there mainly for use when charging unmanned applications or vacant vans, but of course Efoy won't mind if you leave it on auto, all the more dosh for them when the unit needs a premature refurb.

Remember that your Efoy is only expected to give around 3000 hours use, that's 125 days. You could, using it carelessly, use that in one year.

Your decision , Alan.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 25-12-2012, 12:03 Thread Starter

Battery charging

Hi
Thanks again all.
Alan you surprise me when you say that the Efoy's expected life is only 3000hrs and as you say, this time could be used quite quickly.
I know that you have had yours refurbished but I cannot quite make my mind up as to whether you really like it or not!!
What made you think that it needed refurbishment?
It is as you say an expensive piece of kit, which only generates some 3.9AH (1200w)
Thank you for your comments and have a great day.
Regards
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 25-12-2012, 12:21

Re: Battery charging

Quote:
Originally Posted by alshymer
Hi
Thanks again all.
Alan you surprise me when you say that the Efoy's expected life is only 3000hrs and as you say, this time could be used quite quickly.
I know that you have had yours refurbished but I cannot quite make my mind up as to whether you really like it or not!!
What made you think that it needed refurbishment?
It is as you say an expensive piece of kit, which only generates some 3.9AH (1200w)
Thank you for your comments and have a great day.
Regards
At just over 3,000 hours and around five years old the performance of mine began dropping off quite a bit. Around 2 amps max. even on a fairly discharged battery. I guessed the stack might be coming to the end of it's life so contacted SFC, the manufacturer. They said send it along and we will test it.

They confirmed that the stack needed replacing and so that's being done now.

Yes, I like it a lot. It gives sufficient power for our needs without hook up and without needing to run the engine. I don't like the noise of generators or of the Gasperini.

I use it very carefully and only when I feel I absolutely need to.

If my quick mental calculation is correct power produced this way costs well over £20 per kilowatt. It's not to be used frivolously I think.

Regards, Alan.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page