Battery Charging by Solar/Efoy? - Page 4 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 28-12-2012, 15:16

My Motorhome: Charisma
Alshymer I think it is wasteful to let the Efoy charge up my batteries if I know I am getting EHU or going to be driving for several hours.

The EHU or the long drive will charge my batteries anyway and cheaper.

It does not harm the Efoy nor the batteries though - only my wallet when I have to get a new fuel cartridge sooner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 28-12-2012, 16:48

My Motorhome: Carthago i144QB
Up until now I'd always run the Efoy on auto, but on the last trip with reasonably well charged leisure batteries I used an inverter for 10 minutes or so and the voltage drop caused the Efoy to kick in. The start up period of the Efoy is quite lengthy before it starts to develop a good charge rate and then it ran for about 2 hours before switching to standby. A complete waste of fuel especially as we were on the road the next day.

In future I will be using the manual method not least as our unit is located under the bed and on one trip it started up just as we were settling down for the night and though it is very quiet the small hum it produces was amplified up through the bed!!!

Richard
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 28-12-2012, 18:25

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
Re: Battery/solar/Efoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by alshymer
Hi again,
Ernie boy, could you tell me how you think leaving the Efoy on all the time is wasteful?
In auto standby, it isn't using any fuel or clocking up usage hours.
As I have 375AH battery bank and if the Efoy doesn't come on until 12.3v, I don't think it will come on a great deal.
I would have thought that starting up and shutting down regularly would cost more in fuel and usage hours.
Please correct me if I am wrong.
Kind regards
Alshymer

When your batteries are down to 12.3 volts you still have 65 to 70% of your battery power, admittedly not all of that is usable. So if you will be driving any reasonable distance the next day or if you have solar that may take care of your charging needs. That's for you to decide. But it's pointless, wasteful and very expensive to use the Efoy if other power sources will become available while you still have adequate power.

It's a personal decision. I want my Efoy to last and not to unnecessarily use fuel.

I agree with Christine and Richard, Alan.
Attached Images
File Type: png battery_173.png (74.2 KB, 0 views)

post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 28-12-2012, 21:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by premiermotorhomes
Good morning Alshymer and Happy Christmas,

The Efoy monitors the battery state and will only turn on when the terminal voltage hits 12.3V, the solar panel will permanently be charging.

Working on this basis, then the Efoy will only kick in when the load on the batteries is greater than the solar panels can compensate for, which in turn will be more likely to happen in the winter months with the sun lower, and in colder conditions.

If i'm wrong, or anyone can add more please do.

Regards,
Chris
neither are as good as a genny or arriving with sufficient power to last the duration of your stay!

if money is not the prime decider have an efoy!

Lets not assume that everyone is on a budget!

Eddie

If you are a Van Bitz customer and have comments on your service please Leave Feedback for Van Bitz
Reviews are important to us.
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 28-12-2012, 21:21

Re: Battery Charging by Solar/Efoy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alshymer
Hi again
Wife of Alshymer here again!!!
Thank you all for your replies to my Volts/Amps topic.
I think that I can understand it more now. I was mostly confused due to a faulty battery, which has now been changed.
One further point that I would appreciate clarification on is-
With having a 120w solar solar panel and the 1200w Efoy, will these charge the battery simultaneously or will the solar take priority?
Happy Christmas to you all.
Something wrong here. The biggest Efoy (at over £5000.00!) is a 105W model. Anyway a 1200W charger would be almost 100A.
Happy camping for 2013.
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 31-07-2020, 15:59

My Motorhome: Rapido 9048DF
I know old post but was talking to a friend who is getting a new Pilot and we were discussing battery charging and I said "have you thought about an Efoy". Have been doing some research today and it seems that the LPG Efoy does not exist any more (well Google has never heard about it) and only a model that uses a Methanol/Water mix.

Anybody know or can point me in the right direction.

Cheers

Alan
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 31-07-2020, 16:44

Never heard of an LPG one.

I think I'd go so far as to say there never was one. I have had an Efoy for years and think I know a little about the company and it's products. I may be wrong though.

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 31-07-2020, 16:59

My Motorhome: Rapido 9048DF
Thanks Erneboy,

I think you are correct and me the wally. Some one else locally has/had one and thinking about it it was more than likely diesel powered and not LPG. No wonder nothing found.

Anyway are they still making the diesel one and if so can you point me in the right direction. Are you still happy with yours. I use the van in the alps etc in the winter and have thought about getting one for years. If I do eventually change the Rapido is it a worthwhile expense?

Cheers

Alan
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 31-07-2020, 17:50

To the best of my knowledge they only ever made a methanol fuel cell. Surely anything petrol, diesel or lpg powered would be a generator?

I stand to be corrected on that though.

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page