Battery Charging by Solar/Efoy? - Page 3 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 26-12-2012, 13:50

Send a message via AIM to CliveMott Send a message via MSN to CliveMott Send a message via Yahoo to CliveMott
Very. Little hours, only used about 14 litres of Methanol total in some 4 years. But its insurance or peace of mind contripution is imence. It was the unexpected purr of the efoy that allerted me to find out why after a days driving it was running. Turned out to be a bad connection between the alternator and the starter battery.
C.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 26-12-2012, 14:31
DJP

I will start by saying I know nothing, but I have an inquisitive mind!

If you have set up a solar panel and an Efoy ( or 2nd solar panel) then both devices are connected to the same leisure battery/batteries and the controllers, of which there is one for each device are also connected to the same battery/batteries. During a sunny day the solar will be required to put in some amps to the battery needing charge as instructed by the controller, the Efoy/2nd solar will also have the same instruction from its controller, with me so far?
Now, here's the bit where I know nothing. Which one is charging the battery? Solar 1 may be putting 13.?? Whatever volts into the battery so solar 2 or Efoy may think and be fooled by its controller the battery is fully charged, therefore does nothing. OR the other way round, solar 2 or Efoy is doing the charging and solar 1 sits in the sun taking it easy!
This assumes the start point for charging on the Efoy is same as solar panel. Can you connect 2 charging devices to one battery set up?
Who rules and WHY especially if 2 solar panels are fitted?

Be seeing you! No. 6
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 27-12-2012, 09:39 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Adria Twin 600SP
Battery/solar panel

Hi
Thanks again for all your replies.
To the previous poster- I think that this has been already answered from the Efoy point of view, in that it doesn't click in until the battery reaches 12.3v, so hopefully the solar won't allow the batteries to get to this level.
Regards
Alshymer

post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 27-12-2012, 09:47

My Motorhome: Mercedes 614D
Personal Aire
The device with the highest set point will always start charging first.

Even as little as 0.1V difference will show in the way the devices take up the charge, but if a heavy load is applied to the battery and that device won't hold the voltage, then the other devices will come on stream to support the load as the battery voltage falls.

Peter
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 27-12-2012, 09:56
DJP

Re: Battery/solar panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by alshymer
Hi
Thanks again for all your replies.
To the previous poster- I think that this has been already answered from the Efoy point of view, in that it doesn't click in until the battery reaches 12.3v, so hopefully the solar won't allow the batteries to get to this level.
Regards
Alshymer
Thanks or that, the point I was trying to make and perhaps the Efoy with an adjustable "start point" was not ideal. Assume then 2 separate solar panels through 2 regulators, if panel 1 was charging it would fool panel 2 into thinking that the battery was fully charged due to the voltage at the battery? Then there would be no point in having 2 panels, or would there?
The point in question refers to an Auto Trail with a Sargent control panel EC325 which has a maximum capacity of 125 amps or there abouts'. Fitting 2 x 85 amp panels would exceed this limit therefore requiring the fitting of an additional regulator. Hence the question.

Be seeing you! No. 6
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 27-12-2012, 10:10

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
As your solar should be your first choice power source why would you have the Efoy on if there was decent solar input.

If, in late afternoon or early evening as the sun gets low your solar hasn't been able to give enough charge and you will be using heavily the next day then turn the Efoy on over night, Alan.
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 27-12-2012, 10:52

Personal Aire
Re: Battery/solar panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJP
Thanks or that, the point I was trying to make and perhaps the Efoy with an adjustable "start point" was not ideal. Assume then 2 separate solar panels through 2 regulators, if panel 1 was charging it would fool panel 2 into thinking that the battery was fully charged due to the voltage at the battery? Then there would be no point in having 2 panels, or would there?
The point in question refers to an Auto Trail with a Sargent control panel EC325 which has a maximum capacity of 125 amps or there abouts'. Fitting 2 x 85 amp panels would exceed this limit therefore requiring the fitting of an additional regulator. Hence the question.
It isn't quite as simple as that.

Yes, there will always be a 'lead' regulator out of two units, you can rarely set them to identical voltages, so one will always come on first, but as soon as the voltage starts to fall, the other will also come on as the regulation is not as good as my switch-mode charger which holds +- 0.1V up to its full output.

Regarding your second paragraph, you seem to be getting Watts and Amps confused. 80 WATT solar panels are what are usually fitted, 80 AMP panels would be pretty fearsome beasties!

2 X 85 watt panels with a decent controller would normally do all you need in the way of load support and battery charging, it's only at night when the battery itself actually does anything.

If you're on EHU then your on-board charger will join the fun as well.

Our charger is set to 13.80V, the panels controller at 13.60V. If the charger is on, the panels contribute nothing at all. The meter display says 000 for the charge current.

Peter
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 27-12-2012, 11:05

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
Peter, it might be worth adding that while 2 x 80w solar panels should cope in summer they will give very little in winter.

Winter is when I find our Efoy invaluable, Alan.
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 27-12-2012, 11:16

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by erneboy
Peter, it might be worth adding that while 2 x 80w solar panels should cope in summer they will give very little in winter.

Winter is when I find our Efoy invaluable, Alan.
I think that is a given, but worth mentioning.

Ours are knocking out a bit in daytime, but because we are not using anything it is just a maintenance level of charge.

Peter
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 28-12-2012, 16:06 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Adria Twin 600SP
Battery/solar/Efoy

Hi again,
Ernie boy, could you tell me how you think leaving the Efoy on all the time is wasteful?
In auto standby, it isn't using any fuel or clocking up usage hours.
As I have 375AH battery bank and if the Efoy doesn't come on until 12.3v, I don't think it will come on a great deal.
I would have thought that starting up and shutting down regularly would cost more in fuel and usage hours.
Please correct me if I am wrong.
Kind regards
Alshymer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page