IH motor campers......? - Page 4 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 47 (permalink) Old 14-09-2014, 21:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketvrin
Well I just thought I would give a quick update, We still have the IH and are absolutely delighted with it after a year of ownership and having spent 42 nights in her (yes its a "she" - Hannah the Savannah )
we have trundled around Scotland twice already wildcamping and using Club sites and have just come back from a tour of the south of England - Dorset, New Forest, South Downs etc etc. and we are about to set off for another week in Scotland.
We havent found it but there must be a switch somewhere to select great weather and it seems to have been on most of last year
The van suits us very well as has plenty of space for us and the dug. shes a Border Terrier as you might have guessed so is small and fits in to our routine quite nicely.
I bought the inner silver screens but have not used them when away (just when parked at home so far) but I plan to take them next week.
I also changed the two huge gas bottles for two small ones so I can get loads more in the locker. I have refitted one large for next week in case it turns cold.
what I would change ? not a lot really, making the bed could be easier but its not too bad, and that about it.
I do need to do something about work though... I think work is a major inconvenience.
We have had a couple of IH owners come over for a chat when we've been set up at various places as they are so rare its like being an endangered species so when you see another it makes you feel you should wave, or talk or something.
Anyway, I hope you guys enjoy your motor as much as we do and are taking advantage of all this wonerful weather we have been having in 2012 (I know but seriously, WE have...)
Drive safe
K
Further update...

I finally did something about work and have now retired early and have spent loads of time away in the van since...

Excellent

K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 (permalink) Old 14-09-2014, 21:59

My Motorhome: Flogged it.
Still getting on good with the IH then even though you have plenty of time on your hands now, thinking of going bigger?

Paul.
post #33 of 47 (permalink) Old 15-09-2014, 02:31

IH MOTORHOMES

Hi, Yes i have a IH motorhome and as already quoted good built and very helpfull,you pay for what you get,the reason you dont read about them is like anything else,it its good and the dealers good nobody writes about it,so lets just enjoy our expensive motorhomes,regards H

post #34 of 47 (permalink) Old 15-09-2014, 22:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppo
Still getting on good with the IH then even though you have plenty of time on your hands now, thinking of going bigger?

Paul.
I'm still loving the IH and have no plans to change. If I was I would probably buy another IH on build quality alone.
I would not buy bigger as I can tell you some of the roads Ive been on in Scotland, Exmoor and Dartmoor were too narrow for the existing van, some were even "interference fit" and she now has the scars to show for it.

That said, i have been disappointed by the lack of activity on the IHOC site and in particular the IH factory's lack of support through the OC - they are just not interested in supporting older models it seems.

K
post #35 of 47 (permalink) Old 13-10-2014, 19:41

I H Owners

Good evening Perseus
I have an I H Oregan rl just coming up to 1 year old I am extreemley pleased with it as it was made to my specifications, I had lots of things done to it that the big boys would not entertain. And yes some of us IH owners do read & comment on MHF which can be a mind full of information, I agree IH vans are at the top end of the price range but I had always wanted one so after having worked my way through 10 other vans & two caravans having bought my first one a
devon moonraker in 1979 I have got what I consider my ideal van that is till I go to the next big show!!!!!! anyway it doesn,t matter what outfit you have just go out and enjoy it and have some fun.

Regards Richard

You can have it right, you can have it now, but you can´t have it right now.
post #36 of 47 (permalink) Old 18-05-2015, 18:28
YFi

Opinions vary ....subjective ones in this thread even more so!
Previously caravanners and gite-users, our imminent retirement (and lump sum!) brought about a rethink. Lamborghini or motorhome???
Our holiday requirements of going off-peak - and off the beaten track meant A-classes were too big, and coachbuilts tending that way too. VWs too small, and so it was PVC, and in order to minimise-ish the compromise, picked on the longest base 6.3m.
We saw an IH early in the deliberations, a LHD Tio, and that favourable impression left us with a yardstick to compare the other models that we were to see over the next several months ...
So, decision made. IH Tio RL on a Fiat Ducato Maxi.
New would be too expensive, and used ones like the proverbial hens' teeth ...
Various magazines and websites later, we found that toothy hens were common as muck in comparison with sensibly priced used Tio RLs!

The choosing/buying process left lasting impressions - particularly deeply on the wallet!
My most welcoming dealership award - in the sense that vans were unlocked for viewing, and no lurking salespeople - goes to Oak Tree of Notts. Not local, I know, to north Wales but for us, a refreshing change!
Most helpful were Cara Motorhomes of Stoke who invested willingly of their time, knowledge and coffee, but didn't make a sale! Usual disclaimers and thanks to both of them.
Finally, at Hays Leisure, Wednesbury we came across the van of our dreams ... and at a reasonably sensible price. There were two other prospective customers (Really! - One of whom was wavering between Tio and Oregon), but we were there and decided, and after some negotiation on accessories (Spare, Gaslow, towbar rack), clinched the deal!

Last year was the first where we were both retired and found 12,000 additional miles on the IH mileometer! The van has accommodated me on two-thirds of the Wales Coastal Path and has been to France twice for 6week breaks. All impressions of the IH have been good except payload, which has proved a problem, exacerbated in part by the above Spare, Gaslow, towbar rack ...

There was an earlier reference to IH being expensive, but good value, and we'd agree. The more you use it, the cheaper it works out! So far, after two years, excluding sitefees, it's costing us about £210 a night. This time next year, I expect it'll be down to £120-ish; not Travelodge prices yet, but getting ever closer!!!
Ketvrin and Ketvrin like this.
post #37 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 16:58

Its good to hear of an IH getting some good use... Ours has just returned from a month in the western isles, 14 islands, 10 ferries, 2200 miles and never missed a beat despite sometimes challenging weather.
Last winter I made some changes ( ditched better looking but leaky alloys with worn Agilis tyres and fitted new steels with Continental Vancamper tyres) did some preventative maintenance new Fiat exhaust, refurbished brake calipers, oil and fuel and air filters and generally cleaned underside and re-undersealed. Worth the effort for the peace of mind.
We wild camp a lot (23 of the last 27 nights) and the IH is so well kitted out we never did without a shower and we stayed warm even in the unseasonal snow on Mull. Our cost per night is currently £4.50 but have not factored in the cost of the van and fuel etc... Just the cost of nightstops. How have you calculated your cost per night?

K
post #38 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 17:58

My Motorhome: Oh no - a caravan!!
So who was in the IH at Erwlon Caravan Park, Llandovery a few weeks ago? Very nice MH, we just had to Google the details (and cost lol).
post #39 of 47 (permalink) Old 30-12-2018, 10:42

My Motorhome: Hymer Classic B584
Good deal?

Hi. Old thread, but can't hurt to ask. Looking for something to spend quite a few months at a time in over summer in France (mostly). I'm single. Found a 2004 IH Savannah Tio R. 70k miles, 2.3 litre LHD (which I prefer). Bike rack, Air Con, awning. 4 burner stove, oven. 2 small TV's. Good condition. Seems a little expensive (£18,450), but I suppose that's dealer prices.

It has the rear U lounge/bed, mid kitchen & bathroom. I find the interior a bit on the gaudy side (the timberwork) and from the pics seems a bit cramped. As I'll be using it in warmer weather I do wonder if the interior will work in that climate. Would that be 6.4 metres long? Drivers vision to the rear out the right side looks a bit restricted due to smallish windows.

https://www.eacarsales.co.uk/used-mo...026.1543826684

I have seen a similar layout 1994 Rapido 710f for a lot less money (£7,495). 81,500 miles. It looks ok, just a little dated looking. Also considering Hymer's, more space, but bulkier. I don't really have a set budget, just want to pay the right price.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rapido-71...s/332826254909

I'm looking from a distance (Tasmania) so need to do most on the internet.
post #40 of 47 (permalink) Old 30-12-2018, 11:33

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
First one is the best of those two, watch out for body rust as welding a van full of inflammable furniture and wiring etc is not for the faint-hearted, second one is too old, spares a problem.

Stick with the Fiat 2.3 or 2.8 Jtds for a decent engine, they're pretty bulletproof, not much to choose between them for power, 2.8Jtd is more common, so look at post 2000 vans.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page