IH motor campers......? - Page 3 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 10:00

I can now see there is a water heater fitted to my Fresh Water tank which claims to be able to keep the water from freezing down to temperatures of -25 C and I dont intend camping in those sort of temperatures

I'll take a bucket and leave the waste tank valve open so that doesnt freeze up. hopefully I'm set for winter camping now.

K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 14:25

Hi Ketvrin
Not sure what's the lowest temp I've had overnight during the winter in the van. One morning it was reading -11 as an outside temp at 08.30 though. My tanks do have insulation material around them but they did both freeze that night - and yes I should have left the waste open with a bucket underneath! Both defrosted themselves without any ill effects. I had left the hot water heater permanently on (I was on hook up) and the truma didn't dump its contents.

If the weathers very cold I will always try to stay somewhere with hookup (and I do like the luxury of CC campsites in the depths of winter - ample amps on the hookup and lovely warm cozy shower blocks). At most I wouldn't stay longer than a night or 2 without hookup - I like my comforts too much! - especially since I usually camp on my own apart from the dog and cat, and those winter evenings are very long.

My routine in winter is to immediately put on the external screens on arrival. I wouldn't camp out of season without them. Its amazing how effective they are - its like putting an overcoat on, the difference is instanteous. I then plug in a small oil radiator that I put in one of the front footwells where its out of the way. I keep this on low 24 hours a day. I find this provides enough warmth unless its really cold when I might use the van's heating system briefly to bump the heat up. I use the van's water system as usual (see above!) but in very cold weather I do put a load of bubblewrap around the thetford glass water level thingy which always looks if it might be susceptible to freezing (but that might just be me being silly....) I also put extra additive in the flushing water which I think has an additional antifreeze effect.

HTH
post #23 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 14:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper
Hi Ketvrin
Not sure what's the lowest temp I've had overnight during the winter in the van. One morning it was reading -11 as an outside temp at 08.30 though. My tanks do have insulation material around them but they did both freeze that night - and yes I should have left the waste open with a bucket underneath! Both defrosted themselves without any ill effects. I had left the hot water heater permanently on (I was on hook up) and the truma didn't dump its contents.

If the weathers very cold I will always try to stay somewhere with hookup (and I do like the luxury of CC campsites in the depths of winter - ample amps on the hookup and lovely warm cozy shower blocks). At most I wouldn't stay longer than a night or 2 without hookup - I like my comforts too much! - especially since I usually camp on my own apart from the dog and cat, and those winter evenings are very long.

My routine in winter is to immediately put on the external screens on arrival. I wouldn't camp out of season without them. Its amazing how effective they are - its like putting an overcoat on, the difference is instanteous. I then plug in a small oil radiator that I put in one of the front footwells where its out of the way. I keep this on low 24 hours a day. I find this provides enough warmth unless its really cold when I might use the van's heating system briefly to bump the heat up. I use the van's water system as usual (see above!) but in very cold weather I do put a load of bubblewrap around the thetford glass water level thingy which always looks if it might be susceptible to freezing (but that might just be me being silly....) I also put extra additive in the flushing water which I think has an additional antifreeze effect.

HTH
Hi Kipper, yes that does help thanks... I have been toying with buying a windscreen cover vs the silver screens for inside... perhaps I need both? one for winter and one for summer?

I like the solitude of a wild camp, for years we would park the 4x4 up at the end of some track in the middle of nowhere, but in winter when the weather was bad, there was no space to do anything inside other than go to bed in the early but dark evening. MH is much better and is luxury already. A nice site with hot showers sounds great, how many of them are open in the depths of winter though eh?
I think I need to use the van a few more time before I start spending on bits and pieces that I end up not using.
I'll keep you posted... thanks again

K

post #24 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 14:46 Thread Starter

Hi,

We have an IH Tio RL. We have not had if for long but are swapping it for an Autosleeper Bourton.

Both vans are the same length and both vans have bench seats for turning into single beds (or a big double). Our No.1 criticism of the IH is that it is too cramped.

And that is the reason we are losing it because it is just too small. Have you tried standing in the washroom with the door shut?

The Bourton is much more roomy and you will find that it is a bit cheaper than the IH. I agree with everyone who says that IH are over-priced...they ARE and no mistake.

With regard to the Vantage vans we found all models to be utilitarian and on the austere side. There is no doubt that IH wins hands-down for style.

Before you make up your mind, check out a Bourton, or if you want to go sub 6 metre the A-S Stanton which is a smaller version of the Bourton.

John
post #25 of 47 (permalink) Old 20-10-2011, 16:55

Hi - I am an IH owner who does access the MHF site. I have owned a Tio R for 3 years and found it fantastic. The back up from IH has always been excellent. We are now upgrading to a Tio RL for that extra 13 inches of length. I don't know about a cult following but I like what they offer and following an extensive look round the Birmingham show last week I could not find better for our requirements.
They are expensive, but I still find them good value.
post #26 of 47 (permalink) Old 20-10-2011, 19:38

Interesting no Murvi owners have chipped in. I think I know why.

Both are expensive panel van conversions built in small numbers.

We live just down the road from the IH factory, but over 300 miles from Murvi's.

We have a Murvi as the eagle eyed amongst you will have spotted.

We spent over two years visiting shows, and factories here in the UK and in Germany when choosing a panel van conversion to replace our much loved pop-top Bongo.

If you like the Murvi, you probably wont like the IHs (and vice versa). Different as chalk and cheese. Both have high build quality, sure. But style and decor could not be more different.

Anyone here swapped from one to the other/had both I wonder?

Trevor
post #27 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 16:27

Well I just thought I would give a quick update, We still have the IH and are absolutely delighted with it after a year of ownership and having spent 42 nights in her (yes its a "she" - Hannah the Savannah )
we have trundled around Scotland twice already wildcamping and using Club sites and have just come back from a tour of the south of England - Dorset, New Forest, South Downs etc etc. and we are about to set off for another week in Scotland.
We havent found it but there must be a switch somewhere to select great weather and it seems to have been on most of last year
The van suits us very well as has plenty of space for us and the dug. shes a Border Terrier as you might have guessed so is small and fits in to our routine quite nicely.
I bought the inner silver screens but have not used them when away (just when parked at home so far) but I plan to take them next week.
I also changed the two huge gas bottles for two small ones so I can get loads more in the locker. I have refitted one large for next week in case it turns cold.
what I would change ? not a lot really, making the bed could be easier but its not too bad, and that about it.
I do need to do something about work though... I think work is a major inconvenience.
We have had a couple of IH owners come over for a chat when we've been set up at various places as they are so rare its like being an endangered species so when you see another it makes you feel you should wave, or talk or something.
Anyway, I hope you guys enjoy your motor as much as we do and are taking advantage of all this wonerful weather we have been having in 2012 (I know but seriously, WE have...)
Drive safe
K
post #28 of 47 (permalink) Old 27-10-2012, 17:38

changing vans

I am also looking at IH and liked what I saw and they were willing to make several changes for me, having spoke to them at the NEC recently I am considering paying them a site visit (be warned they don't seem to like you turning up unnanouced) so make app, agreed they are on the expensive side and they are not keen to take px
I to looked at Vantage but they WILL ONLY build on a silver van fine if thats what you want but I don't so shame Vantage you will not get my business unless I can have a choice of van colours

Swallow
post #29 of 47 (permalink) Old 27-10-2012, 18:28

I think Vantage vans are considerably less expensive than IH because they have a formula that works. OK it's a limited style (and van colour) that you either like or don't. We love it. Being close to both IH and Vantage we looked long and hard at both and in our opinion the build quality is far better with Vantage. Their policy certainly seems to be working as they seem to be doing quite nicely - even without swallows business

We would be very reluctant now to have any van other than a Vantage as their aftersales service is second to none. I have yet to read a negative remark on here in that regard. Our van is now well out of warranty but they still bend over backwards to help us if we ever have any problems.

At the end of the day though, no one can decide but you, take your time and get the one that best suits your needs and pocket.
Steve.
post #30 of 47 (permalink) Old 27-10-2012, 18:33

Sorry, duplicated post.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page