Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/)
-   iH Motorhomes (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/180-ih-motorhomes/)
-   -   Bike rack obscuring rear window? (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/180-ih-motorhomes/101017-bike-rack-obscuring-rear-window.html)

jrr 12-07-2012 21:54

Bike rack obscuring rear window?

Has any IH owner out there fitted a bike rack to a Tio? We're closing in on buying a Tio R as our first van, and would like a bike rack fitted. It seems they have to be mounted quite high to clear the "boot", thus blocking the window. Has anyone any experience of this?

Thanks

aldra 12-07-2012 21:58

We had the same problem with the Hymer

we had to remove the window stays in order to open the kitchen window with a block to hold it open

not ideal, but nothing ever is in a motorhome

Its a matter of compromise

Aldra :D

Scattycat 12-07-2012 22:09

Our bikes block part of the rear window but it's no real problem.
In my experience as long as you keep a regular watch
in the wing mirrors you'll rarely loose a vehicle in the blind spot.
Let's face it, lots of vans don't have a rear window.

Mashy 12-07-2012 22:10

Bike rack obscuring window

Fit a towbar with a Thule cycle carrier mounted onto the tow ball.
Excellent carrier that you are able to "hinge" down when access is required to the boot. It can be hinged with the cycles either on or off the carrier.
Check out the Thule website.
Not the cheapest but well made.
Mashy

CandA 12-07-2012 22:19

Re: Bike rack obscuring window

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mashy
Excellent carrier that you are able to "hinge" down when access is required to the boot. It can be hinged with the cycles either on or off the carrier.
Mashy

We've the same on our T5 van which in many ways is similar to the IH Tio base. You can see over most of the bikes, just the saddle in the way. So we use a Backsee lens (http://www.justkampers.com/shop/back...ns-j11473.html). Gives good all round view

jrr 13-07-2012 09:36

Thanks for the comments; we had also thought about the Thule solution. It's more expensive, as we'd have to have a towbar fitted, but I can see some of the advantages.

I assume the Thule solution would add more to the overall length than the ordinary rear mounted carrier? (It will be our first van, so I'm a bit apprehensive about extra length!) My good lady is more concerned about a high mounted rack blocking her view from the lounge area - "What's the point of having windows if you can't see out of them?"

Grizzly 13-07-2012 10:04

Be aware of possible damage too.

We've seen both a broken rear window- the bike handlebar going through the window as it was being lifted onto the rack- and a badly scratched window from the wet end of a rope holding the bike cover in place.

We can see out of our rear window- though we couldn't if we covered the bikes- but can't open the window more than a crack when the bikes are on the rack. It's the kitchen window so doesn't bother us but it would be more annoying if it was the lounge window.

You might also check how much you rely on seeing through the rear window when you're moving. Despite good mirrors and a camera we both like to have good vision through the window.

G

wakk44 13-07-2012 10:17

Re: Bike rack obscuring window

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mashy
Mashy

I have done the same as Mashy and have a thule tow bar mounted rack.The previous Fiamma rear mounted bike rack with the bikes on did obscure the view out of the back window and also affected see through vision when on the road.

I much prefer the thule system,it does increase overall length slightly but I don't find this to be a problem.The thule is a well designed and engineered rack and very stable,it has just transported 2 e-bikes about 2000 miles around France with no problems.

Another advantage is that it is easier to put the bikes on the rack being nearer the ground,an important factor if you have any physical ailments and 2 electric bikes.Also if you want to fit a cover it is not as high to reach over the bikes.

CandA 13-07-2012 11:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrr
Thanks for the comments; we had also thought about the Thule solution. It's more expensive, as we'd have to have a towbar fitted, but I can see some of the advantages.

I assume the Thule solution would add more to the overall length than the ordinary rear mounted carrier? (It will be our first van, so I'm a bit apprehensive about extra length!) My good lady is more concerned about a high mounted rack blocking her view from the lounge area - "What's the point of having windows if you can't see out of them?"

Van length: 5.29m
With towbar: 5.4m (towbar useful protection when reversing - it will hit any obstacle 1st! Not needed to use that feature ...yet)
With Bike rack: 5.95m

After 5 years use, including almost daily off/on during a year out, no scratching of the van or damage. Other advantages besides low and easy to load: quick to fit/remove and once off provides a bike stand too.

jrr 13-07-2012 14:25

Thanks for the input, folks.

The towbar option certainly seems worth exploring.