Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Electrical charging anomaly

18K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  rowley 
#1 ·
I have a problem when charging the vehicle battery with a battery charger or solar regulator. The vehicle battery begins to charge ok, but when it reaches a voltage just over 13v, the control panel indicates that the vehicle battery has coupled with the leisure battery and both sets of battery drop back to 12.6. ( Leisure battery was at 13.5v) The battery charger then begins the charge cycle again. The same thing happens if I try and charge through the solar system. Where the voltage is suddenly dumped too I have no idea.

I wonder if any other Wildax owners have this problem?
This is on an Aurora Leisure Citroen Relay X250.

#4 ·
rowley said:
I have a problem when charging the vehicle battery with a battery charger or solar regulator. The vehicle battery begins to charge ok, but when it reaches a voltage just over 13v, the control panel indicates that the vehicle battery has coupled with the leisure battery and both sets of battery drop back to 12.6. ( Leisure battery was at 13.5v) The battery charger then begins the charge cycle again. The same thing happens if I try and charge through the solar system. Where the voltage is suddenly dumped too I have no idea.

I wonder if any other Wildax owners have this problem?
This is on an Aurora Leisure Citroen Relay X250.
The system appears to be working correctly. The voltage is not "dumped" what has happened is that the regulator has cut in. The 13.5v was actually the charger voltage not the battery voltage and when it went into regulation the charging ceased and you then read the battery voltage. [I assume you are reading the voltages from the control panel and it may be worth reading them with a multimeter at the battery terminals as the voltages are 0.5v low compared to the data sheer with my 3 stage charger and solar panel regulator]. Ray

#6 ·
I have found out where the power was going to. I had left the fridge selected to 12v (as I always have on my previous 'vans) and it appears that when the coupling took place power was also put through to the fridge. I must remember to switch that selection off in future when I am not travelling.

#7 ·
rowley said:
I have found out where the power was going to. I had left the fridge selected to 12v (as I always have on my previous 'vans) and it appears that when the coupling took place power was also put through to the fridge. I must remember to switch that selection off in future when I am not travelling.
This is not the way the fridge is normally connected. Usually there is a relay that is energised from the vehicle alternator, which connects the fridge to the vehicle battery [which is of course also the habitation battery whilst they are connected together].
It would be interesting to know why the fridge connects to the batteries without the engine running.

#9 ·
Wildax Leisure

Hi Rowley,

I've read a lot of your posts with interest as we have just bought a 2010 Aurora Leisure after selling our old (2001) Autosleeper Symbol. We pick it up on Saturday.

Would be interested to hear of any modifications you have found useful having owned yours for some time :)

Has your vehicle suffered from the engine bay water ingress that all the Autosleeper/Peugeot/Fiat guys write about?

Cheers

Dave

#11 ·
The converter has used voltage sensing relays for the 12 volt operation on the fridge and I would guess as a split charge.

Ordinarily a relay will be used that is energised when the engine starts. The the batteries will be paralleled to charge he leisure from the engine and for the fridge to work.

Voltage sensing relays (VSRs) do the same thing when a specific pre set (factory) voltage is reached.

The only problem with VSRs is quirky operation caused by over voltage as in cases like this, but they are much cheaper (time wise) to install as there is no need to connected to the alternator output.

The only problem that I can see is that you must remember to take your fridge off 12 volt when you arrive

Eddie

#12 ·
That's interesting, thanks,

If you get a moment to post up your "top tips" it would be great (is there a Wildax area on this forum?), otherwise maybe we could have a chat sometime.

Unfortunately I am a long way from Chesterfield (Essex!) otherwise I could treat you to lunch in exchange for the tips !!

Cheers

Dave

#13 ·
Hi Dave, may I suggest that you become a subscriber to the website. It will open up more of the site and would enable me to send you a private message.
There is a Wildax group operating through Yahoo Groups, they do hold some rallies. Unfortunately, my wife is not very keen on social so I have only been to one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.