Another Member locked out - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 26-01-2017, 19:12 Thread Starter

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,074 Times in 933 Posts
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by VS_Admin View Post
Hey guys,

As mentioned above by MHFAdmin, the best way to get in contact with us is through PMs.
We check these out normally within 24 hours.

As for the loss of members, we have sent out emails to the addresses linked to current accounts, so they would be able to change their password.
Unfortunately, some members have older/throw away addresses linked to their accounts, so it's almost impossible to reach out to them.
We do receive quite a few emails via the contact us link from older members that are looking to log back in, and we deal with those as fast as we can.

Do you guys have any input on how we can get this site sprouting once again?
All of the suggestions and input we can come up with, will be appreciated.

Richard.
Yes. Said it plenty of times. Send out an email to the entire database of non subscribers (There must be thousands) and offer them a free trial rather than five posts. Ideally I would prefer it just to be free anyway but I guess thats not going to happen. It would cost you nothing though to give them a year or six months for nothing. Building the site up has to be more important than the tiny amount you get from subs surely.

That particular member as have a few others got in touch with me via www.hankthetank.co.uk and the contact page. I dont have a problem with that if anyone else is locked out but ill start a thread or use the PM rather than email in future to contact the admin team.

The worry is how many have had similar issues and just given up and left.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 26-01-2017, 19:32

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
Quote:
Hey guys,
As for the loss of members, we have sent out emails to the addresses linked to current accounts, so they would be able to change their password.
Richard.
Was that recent Richard, and do we need to change them again or can we keep using the ones we have now?

Ideas? There have been dozens of suggestions, going back a long time, all apparently (according to your colleagues) to be considered and some to be agreed as worthwhile and to acted on but not much ever happened.

Frankly I think most of us have given up expecting improvements and the restoration of functions such as databased we had previously. Our input has all but been completely ignored.
Pudsey_Bear and Pudsey_Bear like this.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 27-01-2017, 14:21

My Motorhome: Chausson 96
Send a message via AIM to scaley
Exactly the same is happening to me, I have contacted admin and been told to clear caches, (whatever they are??) and try again. It's driving me mad and if I can't sort it soon I have decided I am not renewing my subs which is a pity because I've been a member since 2008.

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 27-01-2017, 15:35

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaley View Post
Exactly the same is happening to me, I have contacted admin and been told to clear caches, (whatever they are??) and try again. It's driving me mad and if I can't sort it soon I have decided I am not renewing my subs which is a pity because I've been a member since 2008.
You appear to be logged in to me Scaley.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 27-01-2017, 15:38
Colonial

Personal Aire
Hey guys,

Thank you for the input here.

My apologies that your suggestions have been shoved under the rug.
There is no excuse for this, and I am willing to take this under my belt myself and help out as much as I can to get some of these suggestions on the road.
As for your suggestion to send out free trails, I don't believe we can do this.
What we can do, if set up some contests, and provide free limited time subscriptions to the winners?

I was referring to the emails that were sent out in the summer of last year.
There is no need to change your passwords just yet.

What other suggestions were mentioned in the past?

Richard.

Admin
Vertical Scope
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 27-01-2017, 16:36

Personal Aire
Quote:
Hey guys,

There is no excuse for this, and I am willing to take this under my belt myself and help out as much as I can to get some of these suggestions on the road.

Richard.
Hi Richard

I strongly suggest that before you start asking for suggestions and planning changes off your own initiative you should have a long chat with Phillip Barbosa or better still, read the very long and detailed threads in the staff forums concerning the future (or lack thereof) of this forum.

Starting again and going off on a tangent is not likely to be very helpful.
Unfortunately Phil has not seen fit to respond about any work in progress since 08/12/2016 despite his numerous and sincere promises that he was "on the case" and discussing the possibilities with senior management.
A full and truthful report on the progress of the detailed suggestions already made is very long overdue and does no credit whatsoever to the integrity of Verticalscope.
teljoy, teljoy, erneboy and 13 others like this.

MHFadmin is the identity used by the UK based admin staff.

Last edited by MHFAdmin; 27-01-2017 at 20:33.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MHFAdmin For This Useful Post:
barryd (27-01-2017), emjaiuk (28-01-2017), Penquin (27-01-2017), Pudsey_Bear (27-01-2017)
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 27-01-2017, 17:03

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
I was thinking about responding, but where to start....?

Like MHF Admin has said, the promised update is long overdue...... by about 5 weeks......

There is no point laying it all out YET AGAIN - that simply takes time to input and then results in frustration on behalf of the person who has spent time and effort to once again be ignored....

So, my fingers are not going to follow that route, but like the very helpful comment from the local MHF Admin, just suggest that you do a little research as to what has been said and been promised by your colleagues before - that should only involve you in finding the relevant user name and pressing "Find all posts by" - hardly rocket science......

Dave

Thinking of ALL the front line staff working to try to help others;Doctors, nurses, paramedics, cleaners, NA's, catering staff, support services and all others. Their work is appreciated more than you can ever realise-keep strong and safe.

Any typo that I make means the errorists win.

Remember Jo Cox and what she stood for.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Penquin For This Useful Post:
MHFAdmin (27-01-2017), nicholsong (27-01-2017)
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 27-01-2017, 21:04

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penquin View Post
I was thinking about responding, but where to start....?

Like MHF Admin has said, the promised update is long overdue...... by about 5 weeks......

There is no point laying it all out YET AGAIN - that simply takes time to input and then results in frustration on behalf of the person who has spent time and effort to once again be ignored....
Thanks for those comments Dave, I would agree that there is no point whatsoever in members forwarding suggestions to V/S as they have done in the past, however sensible or well thought out, because V/S talk a lot but do absolutely nothing. You're very likely to be wasting your time and effort.

As an example I can tell you that there are two threads running in the staff forums. Both were started in July 2016 in the wake of the password change fiasco. One thread concerns the fact that the forum is slowly dying a death and the other tries to get some action on the appalling state of the legacy site and its malfunctioning linked facilities. Between them those threads amount to 18 pages of discussion and suggestions between MHF staff and V/S staff. As of today V/S have taken no action to resolve any of the problems and have now ceased to update either of those threads, one since 24/10/2016 and the other since 08/12/2016. The staff have invested vast amounts of time and effort in putting forward sensible, viable and practical plans to revive the forum based on past experience. None of the suggestions made have been acted upon and no reasons for the lack of action have ever been given by V/S.

It seems to me that for a V/S member of staff to now ask members "what suggestions have been made in the past" is either demonstrating an unforgivable ignorance of what happens on this forum or is taking the p*** in the most offensive manner.

If you lot can do any better than the UK staff you're welcome to try but don't hold your breath.
emjaiuk, emjaiuk, teljoy and 5 others like this.

MHFadmin is the identity used by the UK based admin staff.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MHFAdmin For This Useful Post:
Penquin (27-01-2017), Pudsey_Bear (27-01-2017)
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 27-01-2017, 22:46 Thread Starter

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,074 Times in 933 Posts
Personal Aire
Quote:
Hey guys,

As for your suggestion to send out free trails, I don't believe we can do this.
What we can do, if set up some contests, and provide free limited time subscriptions to the winners?

I was referring to the emails that were sent out in the summer of last year.
There is no need to change your passwords just yet.

Richard.
Why not?

Nobody has explained this. It was fine before asking for a subscription as we had several USP's such as the various databases and apps but now we are just another motorhome forum with nothing special to offer. Why would anyone pay for that? Your only hanging on by your fingernails because of a few dedicated die hard members and even some of them myself included spend too much time trying help the poor buggers who fall foul of your rubbish login and subs system.

Your only hope is to make it free and invite lapsed members back. Im not bothered about paying the twelve quid or whatever it is but if you want to bring in new blood and get it moving again what have you got to offer now to a newbie that they cannot get for free elsewhere?

Both Motorhome Fun and Motorhome Facts were the biggest motorhome Forums in the UK and only started charging when they had a big membership and something extra to offer. You need to start again here so for a while thats going to mean making it free and getting big numbers here quickly. Presumably you make money on adds do you not? Why not offer it free with adds or twelve quid without?

Take it from someone who is here every day and has been for the past nine years. Its reached a point now where if you dont do something fast you wont have any forum so subs or no subs you wont be making any money out of it.

Sort out the login issues and subscriptions and make it free or two tier membership and you might, just might bring it back.
teljoy, teljoy, erneboy and 9 others like this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to barryd For This Useful Post:
emjaiuk (28-01-2017), Harrers (28-01-2017), Pudsey_Bear (28-01-2017)
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 28-01-2017, 06:04

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page