Motorhome Facts Forum banner

New name for 'Home' button?

8K views 137 replies 16 participants last post by  jiwawa 
#1 ·
In this thread I ask about the possibility of re-labelling the 'Home' button to avoid the problems people get into when they visit the old site. Admin replies that we should request this. I'll request it on that thread but thought others might like some input on what it should be called instead. Perhaps suggestions could be placed on this thread. Also, I'm not sure how many would need to make the request so perhaps others could do so too.

http://forums.motorhomefacts.com/115-bugs/196914-log-problems.html

Chris

#5 ·
Because in spite of what a few members say, there are parts of the legacy site that have some value.

I'd be happy with the 'Home' button being re-named to "Old Site" together with the caveat described earlier.

Reactions: siggie
#8 ·
Or perhaps Legacy site?

#15 ·
That term may not be understood by all.

Will new members know what 'old site' means? It's difficult enough navigating the 'new site'. Can't VS finally sort out our, and I mean 'our' store of knowledge and bring it all onto one place.
I think Old Site is probably best - anyone with an ounce of wit would understand that where it leads won't be as useful as where they currently are (wouldn't they?!).

But also have the big banner on the old site to redirect them to the current useful stuff.

People who come to the site are not generally looking for the type of thing that's available on the old site (I know very little of it myself) and can be guided there at a later date when they're interacting with the forum and the need becomes apparent.

A much bigger worry, to me, is that a search on 'motorhome facts' brings up, top of the page, the old site. And the new site doesn't figure at all on the 1st 3 pages of search results.

I mean.....how incompetent is that??

#12 ·
They just need to be reminded that it's our forum, anarchy rules okay.

Reactions: Spacerunner
#11 ·
Will new members know what 'old site' means? It's difficult enough navigating the 'new site'. Can't VS finally sort out our, and I mean 'our' store of knowledge and bring it all onto one place.

#13 ·
I agree that 'old site' won't mean much to new members. Whatever we call it it needs to have an adequate warning not to go there unless you understand what the problems might be and how to get out again. VS Jeff suggests it could be called 'Additional Features' which is not a good idea as it'll just attract people to it rather than put them off.

Clearly VS don't seem able to sort out the basic problems, or if they can it'll take ages. I just think it should be a relatively simple job to just change the name of the 'button' and give a warning. It's better than nothing.

It has been given a number: Case #2265197 so looks like it could happen, though I'm unclear what 'request it' means. Do you have to fill in a form in triplicate?

http://forums.motorhomefacts.com/115-bugs/196914-log-problems.html

I've requested a name change on the above thread, which is in the Bugs forum. I started this thread in the hope that we could agree a new name. Do Admin read this Computer Help forum do you think?

Chris

#19 ·
Additional features implies something which is NOT delivered IMO. It also shoves all the others to the right, the name needs to be shorter than "Additional Features", so come on brain boxes let's think of a short snappy term that might mean something to new and old members, e.g. "Resources" or "Information" or ...........

That's what it is - simply a record of the material from the past, but lots is still relevant and would be of value.....

Dave

#25 ·
Additional features implies something which is NOT delivered IMO. It also shoves all the others to the right, the name needs to be shorter than "Additional Features", so come on brain boxes let's think of a short snappy term that might mean something to new and old members, e.g. "Resources" or "Information" or ...........

That's what it is - simply a record of the material from the past, but lots is still relevant and would be of value.....

Dave
I suppose that's an Archive

Though that does perhaps suggest it's all neatly organised, filed and labelled. :serious:

Chris

#20 ·
I'd prefer "Old Site" or "Legacy Site" TBH.
Apart from anything else "Additional Features" is too prominent and raises expectation too much.

Why not remove that link from the top menu bar and add it to the "Tools" drop-down menu instead alongside the "Campsite Reviews Maps" link?

#22 · (Edited)
Calling it additional features seems worse than having it called Home to me. Additional features will attract people who want to explore more. Then they'll have all the problems the rest of us have and feel disappointed. At least calling it Old Site won't encourage them to go there looking for additional features which they won't be able to find.

I don't know whether other long term members have the same problems as I do but I can't make my way around the old site in any useful way and I have no idea what my password for it was.

#23 ·
agree with erneboy, if you go in there some links jump back to the new site, some don't...... If that is not going to totally confuse any new members who try to access then I don't know what is......

Gaspode's suggestion of putting the link into the "Tools" dropdown is the best so far IMO.

Dave

#26 ·
And on my iPad it takes up more space.......... a total waste of space.

Does anyone in VS do any testing before implementing their changes, arghhhhh

Terry

Attachments

Reactions: jiwawa
#30 ·
May I suggest to VS and Jeff that they ask one of their nearest and dearest to try to find some information from the "Old site"/Legacy site/or whatever..... :frown2:

The challenge to set them is in two parts, I will give you a clue that they will not be found on the current front page; :smile2:

Find the "Fun Quizzes" and see how long it takes you...... :eek:

then you will see why it is NOT suitable to have on the banner headline, your nearest and dearest may well try to lynch you for the atrocious trial you will have put them under.....

and then see if they can find some details about the Coachbuilt MotorHome offered for sale on Wed 6 July 2016 09:00 by edw45r2 :confused:

By that time they may well be seeking a divorce......

PLEASE listen to what has been said and get it off the Banner Heading. it cannot be justified there but it is a TOOL to allow you to find things from history (sometimes).

If anyone else cares to take those challenges, try them and then post how long it took you, so that Jeff will have something to compare things with - and of course, you do not count as NEW MEMBERS.......

Dave

#39 ·
Find the "Fun Quizzes" and see how long it takes you...... :eek:
15 Seconds :grin2:

and then see if they can find some details about the Coachbuilt MotorHome offered for sale on Wed 6 July 2016 09:00 by edw45r2 :confused:
The Maj... 3 minutes :serious:

But then, I remember the ins and outs of how the old site works, those that don't would have a nightmare (especially with the first challenge :wink2:)

#31 ·
It took me 3-4 minutes to find my way to the 2 items you mention Penguin - but of course, having got there the pages were blank.

Why on earth, VS, would we want to encourage anyone to go there?

Please take the 'Legacy Site' button off the topline altogether.

I've mentioned elsewhere that going through the old site for info gives nothing up to date.

#36 ·
No Dave, no need for Specsavers ........ it was my post, and I think I screwed up. :frown2: I wrongly blamed Jeff for deleting a post.

For that I apologise ........ Sorry Jeff. :crying:

There were two threads on the button name change, and my post appears in the other one, 'cos it's still there.

Alls well that ends well. (With thanks to W.Sh.)

Reactions: Penquin
#35 ·
I was going to suggest that it should be labelled "Don't Click Here"! but looks as though I'm too late.

I'm afraid to be a killjoy for those who have suggested "Legacy" but in computer-speak Legacy means:

"denoting or relating to software or hardware that has been superseded but is difficult to replace because of its wide use."

Hmm - wide use?:confused:

#37 ·
Legacy means:

"denoting or relating to software or hardware that has been superseded
so far so good, totally agree with that....:grin2:

but is difficult to replace
tha has been said and Jeff has admitted above that they have not yet sorted out the Home Page after how long?

because of its wide use."
surely wide means widespread i.e. lots of people using the same thing even though newer and better options are available? :wink2:

Hmm - wide use?:confused:
totally agree with your confusion over this.....

Dave

#40 · (Edited)
Legacy site is fine by me, what isn't is the BS you get when you click it.

"We are the largest and most active Online UK Motorhomes community website offering a place for motorhome fun, American RV motorhomes, motorhome forum for discussions, help and advice
If you are after information on any aspect of motorhomes, motorcaravans or campervans whatever you want to call them then this is the place for you.

In the summer Motorhome Facts receives > 230,000 visitors, that many motorhome owners in one place means your questions on motorhomes are answered in seconds not hours.

Motorhome Facts has the largest repository of information on motorhomes available anywhere online. Our motorhome forums have a decades questions and answers posted by our members about their motorhomes."

Wheres the banner telling us you screwed up again.

I think there should be a link, I think it should be of value when you click it, I think VS should get there damned finger out, listen to the members at last and get whatever data is still useful from the "legacy site" feed it into a new DB that can be added to if at all possible, if it's not possible, then grow a pair and admit it.

As far as I know it is there mainly as a link to the rally pages, which now has it's own link so maybe a button is no longer required anyway.

Reactions: Penquin and gaspode
#42 ·
Ok I'll give it a whirl, hopefully I can remember how clunky.com worked >:) >:)

Start time now tick tick.

#43 ·
#44 ·
No MoHos found

4 mins total taken, that included going back to the actual question.

#45 · (Edited)
EXACTLY, it is a total waste of time, thanks very much for doing that, there is even a list under the "Accessories for sale or wanted" which was posted on Saturday 22nd October 2106 (supposedly), but it does not exist....

From my knowledge of how that part of the old site worked, the ad would be submitted but would not actually appear until it had been approved by a Mod - and they were dispensed with a couple of years or so ago.....

The site is full of dead ends and blue screens like that and it is time it was sent for recycling IMO. Virtually any information on there is now inaccessible and we know that the most important part; Rallies, now has a separate link, so it is time to ditch the rest.

I have not said that before, but to me having it present is simply going to confuse anyone without pre-existing knowledge of how it worked and how to work through it - if they tried they would simply say "this is not worth joining, it does not work" and go elsewhere.

Time has progressed and any information there has probably been surpassed, unless VS would like to spend time (and presumably money) extracting information and putting it into the new format, or would they like a group of volunteer members to do the screening of what (if anything) is worth keeping?

Just a thought, I am sure that others would volunteer their services to see what, if anything IS worth keeping, on the proviso that if it is worth it then a new style would be found for linking to it, but the old site really is time expired.

How about that then Jeff ?

Dave

#46 ·
EXACTLY, it is a total waste of time, thanks very much for doing that, there is even a list under the "Accessories for sale or wanted" which was posted on Saturday 22nd October 2106 (supposedly), but it does not exist....

From my knowledge of how that part of the old site worked, the ad would be submitted but would not actually appear until it had been approved by a Mod - and they were dispensed with a couple of years or so ago.....

The site is full of dead ends and blue screens like that and it is time it was sent for recycling IMO. Virtually any information on there is no inaccessible and we know that the most important part; Rallies, now has a separate link, so it is time to ditch the rest.

I have not said that before, but to me having it present is simply going to confuse anyone without pre-existing knowledge of how it worked and how to work through it - if they tried they would simply say "this is not worth joining, it does not work" and go elsewhere.

Time has progressed and any information there has probably been surpassed, unless VS would like to spend time (and presumably money) extracting information and putting it into the new format, or would they like a group of volunteer members to do the screening of what (if anything) is worth keeping?

Just a thought, I am sure that others would volunteer their services to see what, if anything IS worth keeping, on the proviso that if it is worth it then a new style would be found for linking to it, but the old site really is time expired.

How about that then Jeff ?

Dave
Seem a reasonable idea to me Dave.

"From my knowledge of how that part of the old site worked, the ad would be submitted but would not actually appear until it had been approved by a Mod - and they were dispensed with a couple of years or so ago....." we do have/had forum helpers, so why not let them vet any new ads etc then at least there is some function to the legacy site, I'd hate to throw it away simply because we still have members who have old vans like Barryd, and who know what new members may need from that mine of info, which includes reviews, for those who could be bothered (I did one at least) and I found other reviews useful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.