New name for 'Home' button? - Page 12 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

149Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #111 of 138 (permalink) Old 27-10-2016, 23:46

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
The advantage of the interaction with Google - which as you say has crashed, is that you used to be able to zoom in and locate sites in the area that you wanted to visit.

The alternative is to put the town names in and see what comes up, but it is less convenient IMO.

I don't think the original site owner ever got to the bottom of why it had suddenly failed, it may well have been due to one of his well known "tweeks" of which, apparently, no records were kept. That fact alone makes the chances of successful migration of any of the data a much harder challenge IMO, it might require it all to be re-entered into a new format, and with in excess of 9400 campsites, that is a monumental and potentially very expensive task requiring a level of accuracy that is critical........

Dave

Remember Jo Cox and what she stood for.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 138 (permalink) Old 27-10-2016, 23:48

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,013 Times in 878 Posts
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneSmith View Post
In all honesty, I suspect that there are only a tiny handful of members that remember and use the iCampsite USB. Once it's GoogleMaps section failed it became too hard for most members to work with. So from my perspective we we can dismiss the ability to update the USB as it over complicates things for VS.

The essential part of the MHF campsite database would be dead easy for any self respecting company to migrate, as the single page I highlighted shows only a campsite name, thumbnail photo, postal address, co-ords, pitch numbers, water & sanitary details, all on a single page. That much is the most simplistic database imaginable as it's just published data fields.

There is absolutely no need for the additional interactive GoogleMaps StreetView.

The subsequent reviews could be beneficial, as it's revisiting members simply concurring or adding extra info. In my view that could be addressed by a simple text box, once moderated by UK Admin.

You would think so but so far I have never been able to establish just how its stored or in what format. Having had years of experience of being involved in bespoke software "Takeovers" the techies dont want to know about the old system and there are generally two reasons for this. 1. They dont understand it and its too complex to transfer and 2. Its not worth transferring as its too long out of date because they left it too long sorting out their new system..

What people are failing to grasp here is how fussed VS are about our needs. Are they really going to commit many weeks of very expensive man power for this forum? I feel no commitment at all, just kind words from Jeff who seems a lovely guy but my business IT head tells me we are fooked.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #113 of 138 (permalink) Old 28-10-2016, 00:07 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Knaus Sun Ti 600LF
I don't have the usb version but I do have the app, which I haven't thought to use for ages as I assumed it was too out of date. I've just opened it up though and downloaded about 600 'updates'. Now how do I find out how up to date they actually are?

Chris

post #114 of 138 (permalink) Old 28-10-2016, 00:51

My Motorhome: AutoTrail V-Line 635 SE
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisandJohn View Post
I don't have the usb version but I do have the app, which I haven't thought to use for ages as I assumed it was too out of date. I've just opened it up though and downloaded about 600 'updates'. Now how do I find out how up to date they actually are?

Chris
Now I am happy that campsite updates work as intended, I can answer that for you Chris, although I have absolutely no idea which app you refer to.

Locate "Camping Danica" in Slovenia. If it shows the location to be in woodlands then your update has failed. If it shows co-ords 46.27431, 13.94791 then your database is probably up to date.

It should now be showing this clickable link:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...431!4d13.94791

John

For lust of knowing what should not be known
We take the Golden Road to..........................
The Following User Says Thank You to HurricaneSmith For This Useful Post:
ChrisandJohn (28-10-2016)
post #115 of 138 (permalink) Old 28-10-2016, 02:18

My Motorhome: Chausson Welcome 85 2007
Personal Aire
Why don't we call it the, 'do not press this button' button. Then if anyone presses it and is instantly transported to internet hell we can all say.....'you were warned!' ....'byeeee!
erneboy, erneboy, barryd and 1 others like this.

I'm not signing anything.

The two impulses in travel are to get away from home, and the other is to pursue something - a landscape, people, an exotic place. Certainly finding a place that you like or discovering something unusual is a very sustaining thing in travel.
post #116 of 138 (permalink) Old 28-10-2016, 10:35

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
I think most of us have bookmarked the old site anyway, so it could vanish until sorted out, so for good basically.
post #117 of 138 (permalink) Old 28-10-2016, 11:37

My Motorhome: AutoTrail V-Line 635 SE
Personal Aire
@VS Jeff has told us his developers will work with UKAdmin before anything final is done, and I'll take that on trust. I also trust our UK people to do what is right for the forum (within their sphere of influence) having been motorhoming members for years.

For myself, I don't bookmark the legacy site and always enter through the button now appropriately named "Old Site".

New members are joining and so I'm more optimistic about the future, being a 'glass half full man'.

Penquin, Penquin, barryd and 1 others like this.

John

For lust of knowing what should not be known
We take the Golden Road to..........................
post #118 of 138 (permalink) Old 28-10-2016, 12:01

Personal Aire
I would totally agree with HS on that, I also have trust that the UK team will be aware of the problems and also will have a better overview of the difficulties than the rest of us can have.

SO FAR, VS have always come right over what they have said they will do, OK it may take longer than many of us would wish, but we are not aware of the complexities of what they are tackling - we only see the outcomes.

I think it is fair to say that the old site was modified so often and in so many ways all apparently undocumented that anyone looking at it now will struggle to dissect the pieces we want from the mish-mash of superfluous add-ons. It is of course, "old" technology and the staff currently working on the technical aspects will NOT be familiar with how it used to be constructed - things have evolved markedly and it would be the same as expecting a modern car technician to sort out a problem in a steam driven vehicle - they MIGHT be able to sort it if they can acquire the understanding and skills, but there can be no guarantee of success.

So, may I suggest that we continue to differentiate between those pieces which we definitely want to retain in some form, such as the campsite database and possibly some of the other supporting peripherals and also clearly identify those parts that we fail can be safely disabled from view - such as the goal and the awards - none of which have functioned in my life-time on here, yet they still appear and things like "Entertainment"- not used and therefore just taking up bandwidth.

That is my suggestion, but of course others are welcome to disagree.

Dave

post #119 of 138 (permalink) Old 28-10-2016, 13:45 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Knaus Sun Ti 600LF
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneSmith View Post
Now I am happy that campsite updates work as intended, I can answer that for you Chris, although I have absolutely no idea which app you refer to.

Locate "Camping Danica" in Slovenia. If it shows the location to be in woodlands then your update has failed. If it shows co-ords 46.27431, 13.94791 then your database is probably up to date.

It should now be showing this clickable link:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...431!4d13.94791

I have the icampsites app on my iPhone. It came out before the usb version. The co-ordinates are correct, though they have an extra zero at the end of each, and they take me to outside the campsite. So, it looks like it is updating OK, except perhaps for the fact that over the last few years there would have been much less reviewing and updating by members.

Chris
post #120 of 138 (permalink) Old 28-10-2016, 13:55

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisandJohn View Post
So, it looks like it is updating OK, except perhaps for the fact that over the last few years there would have been much less reviewing and updating by members.

Chris
This is stating the obvious, but since the system is working, and since it is apparent that VS are taking things on board, then the onus of bringing it up to date with more recent updates on visits is fairly and squarely OUR responsibility.

We were the ones that stopped doing such a thing because it seemed to have fallen into the long grass, but from what we have been reassured AND seen recently, those perceived barriers no longer exist.

We all need to take the time to update with visitor reports and new sites that we discover as soon as and as fast as we can.

That way the use of the database will become more apparent and is more likely to attract investment into it's future.

Dave

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page