Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/)
-   Website Help (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/17-website-help/)
-   -   Attention - Password and Security Update (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/17-website-help/186210-attention-password-security-update.html)

VS_Admin 14-06-2016 16:25

Attention - Password and Security Update

Hey all,

Over the next few days we will be implementing some changes to our forum password strength and password expiration policies. To make sure you continue having the best experience possible on the community, we regularly monitor the site and the Internet to keep everyone's account information safe. We've recently become aware of a potential risk to some accounts coming from outside of this community. Just to be safe, we are implementing the following changes to improve security even further:

1) We are asking everyone to change their passwords (and will force a one time reset). Along with every user on the forum, new passwords will need to be more complex, and can't be simple words (sorry, you can't have "fluffy" as your password anymore!). Please use a password unique to this community. Reusing passwords can expose your account indirectly when other websites (Twitter, Linkedin, Badoo, etc) are compromised; and

2) Your passwords will expire on a 365 day basis. When you login on the 366th day, you will have to change it.

We'll also be sending out an email to users to let them know about the changes, in upcoming weeks.

Thanks all,

Helena

Community Management

cabby 14-06-2016 16:30

Have changed mine and logged out and back in so all works.

cabby

Penquin 14-06-2016 17:20

Just a thought...... would it make sense to time the password update with EITHER renewal date (with plenty of reminders in advance please), or half way through the year (once again with plenty of reminders).

Dave

listerdiesel 14-06-2016 17:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penquin (Post 2088218)
Just a thought...... would it make sense to time the password update with EITHER renewal date (with plenty of reminders in advance please), or half way through the year (once again with plenty of reminders).

Dave

But, the vulnerability won't wait, better do it sooner rather than later.

I assume this is a Vbulletin software issue?

Peter

HurricaneSmith 14-06-2016 18:28

In a few days time, when I reset my password on this VS forum, will that single new password gain me access to both this VS forum & the "Campsite Database" on NukeAdmin's old forum please?

Jmdarr 14-06-2016 18:40

Just changed mine problem was wouldn't accept new password was barred for 15 mins and had to ask for new one now on line
Do I carry on using requested password or do I have to change again.

ramblefrog 14-06-2016 19:16

Hi - I changed mine but again wouldn't let me in on new one but accepted old one!

113016 14-06-2016 19:32

Changed mine, just after cabby. All worked well

ramblefrog 14-06-2016 19:46

Gone in and tried again - worked this time!

ChrisandJohn 14-06-2016 22:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneSmith (Post 2088322)
In a few days time, when I reset my password on this VS forum, will that single new password gain me access to both this VS forum & the "Campsite Database" on NukeAdmin's old forum please?

This is an important question.

Chris