Attention - Password and Security Update - Page 5 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

148Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 223 (permalink) Old 15-06-2016, 16:42

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Apparently according to this.................
https://haveibeenpwned.com/

I have had my Linkdin and Adobe passwords compromised.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 223 (permalink) Old 15-06-2016, 17:05

My Motorhome: Globecar Campscout
Send a message via AIM to MEES
Oh no!
I can't remember my password so how do I change it ?

Enjoying our motorhome travels in UK and Europe looking forward to our new van a Globemaster campscout
post #43 of 223 (permalink) Old 15-06-2016, 17:07

My Motorhome: I drive...
Heya all,

Ping me with you have any questions, we have all hands on deck right now network and company wide so we might be slow to respond.

You will get and email or notice when we que up to update your password.

Note this is a third party vendor that got hacked not us, they exploited the plugin to gain access to the info, legal is on it.

Jeff M

post #44 of 223 (permalink) Old 15-06-2016, 17:15

My Motorhome: I drive...
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryd View Post
If you are concerned that your user name or email address has been compromised then you can put it into this site and find out. https://haveibeenpwned.com/

VS should have told all its users about this. It happened in February according to the report.
Quote:
The thing is though that is exactly what most people do (use the same password). So really its not the fact that its only a forum thats a problem. It is the fact that if you have used the same password on here that you use for more important sites that could now be compromised.

It happens more often than you think. What I would like an explanation for though is if the report is true and all this was known in February why has it been kept a secret?
Heya guys,

Note this was a third party plugin that got hacked and plenty of other sites and networks have been hit also. We are just the largest so that is why we made the news.

This has all just came to light within the last 48-72 hours and the vendor did not make us aware of the security breach on their end.

We are taking the proper steps to ensure security and safety on all our sites and for the members.

@barryd - you are correct a lot of people use the same password for multiple sites from forums to banking so that is the real issue for users to be aware of best practices for passwords.

Jeff M
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VS Jeff For This Useful Post:
barryd (15-06-2016), dghr272 (15-06-2016)
post #45 of 223 (permalink) Old 15-06-2016, 18:12

My Motorhome: A big black & white one
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev_n_Liz View Post
Might I ask though seeing as you are the knowing one on this, how many personal passwords do you have in total, what formula are they and how do you recall them when needed, please don't say you write them down, not taking the Mickey, I'd really like to know.
I have 134 passwords for normal, non-vital websites (like this one), I have several high security ones for on-line financial sites (banking, Caxton, etc) and a handful of medium security ones for access to non-vital hardware (laptop, servers, RaspberryPi, etc).

Formulas vary depending on level of security - very short term, one-shot passwords for some sites will be the same - shock, horror! Sites that hold a little more data will be more complex along one general theme. Very secure passwords use the format of the initial letters of a memorable sentence that includes numbers and symbols - e.g. "This is the 45th post in this thread" could become "Tit45p!tt".

OK, I won't tell you that I write them down, since you don't want to know But, yes, they are kept in various secure files in various secure locations. And guess what, the passwords to unencrypt those files are the same and the only password I must keep in my head - although other oft-used ones are in there too.

Oh, and for simplicity ALL my passwords are Pa$$w0rd

Last edited by siggie; 15-06-2016 at 18:17.
post #46 of 223 (permalink) Old 15-06-2016, 19:08

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,013 Times in 878 Posts
Personal Aire
Well according to the pwnd website linked earlier my main email address and username has not been compromised. My hotmail account was in 2014 and that was when Avast got hacked apparently. The thing is though with security getting ever tighter banks etc (important stuff) usually has more than one level. Its never just a password these days. There is usually memorable information and random numbers sometimes generated by a key fob thingy or card to enter. Even Vodafone send me a text now with a code every time I login to check my bills.

I wont lose too much sleep over it. Your generally covered if your account gets emptied anyway.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #47 of 223 (permalink) Old 15-06-2016, 19:19

Send a message via MSN to suedew
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynipper View Post
Apparently according to this.................
https://haveibeenpwned.com/

I have had my Linkdin and Adobe passwords compromised.

Ray.
Search for sites for me. not aware i use a password for that though confused.com unless it is C&CC or CC
post #48 of 223 (permalink) Old 15-06-2016, 21:20

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Admin

I have just read the following thread

https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/17-...d-changes.html

I cannot respond on there.

It says I will get a new temporary password and I can change it.

It also says that this does not affect the access to the Home Page. Which Home page? And if I can get to the Home Page via my old password, surely then I can get to anywhere else from there, so why do I need a new password.

Are you guys going crazy or am I? or are you driving us crazy? This is a multi-choice question.

Geoff
post #49 of 223 (permalink) Old 15-06-2016, 21:25

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,013 Times in 878 Posts
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholsong View Post
Admin

I have just read the following thread

https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/17-...d-changes.html

I cannot respond on there.

It says I will get a new temporary password and I can change it.

It also says that this does not affect the access to the Home Page. Which Home page? And if I can get to the Home Page via my old password, surely then I can get to anywhere else from there, so why do I need a new password.

Are you guys going crazy or am I? or are you driving us crazy? This is a multi-choice question.

Geoff
I took it to mean the old forum pages Geoff. I doubt anyone uses them anymore, there is nothing up to date there sadly.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #50 of 223 (permalink) Old 15-06-2016, 21:34

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Quote:
I took it to mean the old forum pages Geoff. I doubt anyone uses them anymore, there is nothing up to date there sadly.
I use it to get to Members' list.

Once there one can go to the new pages.

What are they trying to achieve saying one needs a new password, but that it does not affect the Home Page?

Geoff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page