Attention - Password and Security Update - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

148Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 223 (permalink) Old 14-06-2016, 22:47

My Motorhome: A big black & white one
I don't understand the need to change our password every 12 months, after all this is ONLY a forum. If this was on-line banking, a site where we made financial transactions, etc, then maybe it would make more sense. Thinking about it, none of my banks make me change my password every 12 months, so why here?
erneboy, erneboy, Penquin and 21 others like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to siggie For This Useful Post:
Easyriders (15-06-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 223 (permalink) Old 15-06-2016, 07:17

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Because they can, agree pointless unless you do use the same password as your bank on here, and surely no one would be so stupid would they

A hint as to what the password format needs to be might help before we delve into that particular nightmare.
Penquin and Penquin like this.
post #13 of 223 (permalink) Old 15-06-2016, 07:50

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
I now have to keep FOUR PAGES of log in details and passwords in various formats.
It can take ages to open the 'secure' Word doc with them all listed and locate one.
Because sites demand different formats no one can remember them all, so much for progress.

Ray.
erneboy, erneboy, Penquin and 3 others like this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.

post #14 of 223 (permalink) Old 15-06-2016, 07:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by siggie View Post
I don't understand the need to change our password every 12 months, after all this is ONLY a forum. If this was on-line banking, a site where we made financial transactions, etc, then maybe it would make more sense. Thinking about it, none of my banks make me change my password every 12 months, so why here?

I agree, it is a totally unnecessary exercise, a pain in the neck, another password to remember, and it should be up to the individual to choose.
Again it is only a forum and not a financial institution.
erneboy, erneboy, Penquin and 7 others like this.
post #15 of 223 (permalink) Old 15-06-2016, 08:07

Yes, forums and non financial sites only need basic passwords or maybe 8 to 10 characters.
But any financial sites will obviously need more complex and different log in details.

I guess we all relate to some memorable place, date, event, family, etc. But again for any financial access we really need a more unrelated access details.

Ray.
113016 and 113016 like this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
post #16 of 223 (permalink) Old 15-06-2016, 08:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynipper View Post
I now have to keep FOUR PAGES of log in details and passwords in various formats.
It can take ages to open the 'secure' Word doc with them all listed and locate one.
Because sites demand different formats no one can remember them all, so much for progress.

Ray.
Agree Ray, we are not supposed to write them down, but with so many, (password for this, password for that) and a password for the dog and the dogs cat, and the fleas) it is pretty impossible to remember them all.
Back to the little black book, progress gone backwards!
post #17 of 223 (permalink) Old 15-06-2016, 09:17

I can understand when some numpty's use 123456 etc. for multiple passwords. But anyone even just slightly PC savy who hasn't had their head in the sand for years must have seen TV and media progs about people losing their ID etc. Every day there are reports of people succumbing to con mens charm and divulging their personal details. Not once but several times??

Nearly all electronic stuff comes with default codes of '0000' or '1234' etc. TV's, phones, recorders, modems, Wi-Fi extenders, etc. I buy a few second hand items and few people bother to change the default codes thankfully! But even those that have changed the code there will usually be a 'reset' hole, tab, button to bring it back to default.

Ray.
Penquin and Penquin like this.

post #18 of 223 (permalink) Old 15-06-2016, 09:53

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
FAO Admin

What is so secret on MHF?

Anyone can read it and if any crook thought they could make money from it all they have to do is pay £12.50.

I never sign out so do not need a password to sign in. Will that change? I do not want the inconvenience of signing in every time I want to view the forum.

The requirement to change a password was not in the T+Cs when I renewed my subscription.

WE need some of these points to be addressed.

Geoff
The Following User Says Thank You to nicholsong For This Useful Post:
suedew (15-06-2016)
post #19 of 223 (permalink) Old 15-06-2016, 09:59

I could hazard a guess that the changes are more to do with their security than our own, but perhaps, we also need to think back to Nukes problems and possibly what led to the sale of this site in the first place.

But it does need to be sensible, I'm Like Geoff, I don't even know if I can remember my password for MHF, I dare say I'm not alone, so perhaps I'll just wait until I cannot log in and they'll send me a nice shiny new one, but then I'll have to change it again won't I.

I can remember most normal passwords, with letters and numbers, but the ones where you need to use a symbol as well defeat me as I have no reference for remembering those.

Last edited by Pudsey_Bear; 15-06-2016 at 10:04.
post #20 of 223 (permalink) Old 15-06-2016, 10:02

I just typed a nice reply, agreeing with Geoff and adding a few other points and pressed submit, and it's gone, perhaps they should fix that first as it happens frequently and really pisses me off big style.

And now it's reappeared, does it go via the flaming moon or somewhere to take so long to appear

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page