Is Facts a free forum now? - Page 4 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

64Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 57 (permalink) Old 26-02-2015, 23:44

Agreed Dave.

Less than 3.5 pence per day with the potential to save hundreds (or even more) with the help and advice of fellow members.

Best twelve and a half quid I ever spent - and will continue to spend. I reckon I learn something new almost every day!

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 57 (permalink) Old 26-02-2015, 23:49

Location: Summer - Overton, Hampshire: Winter - La Manga, Spain
My Motorhome: Eura Mobil Integra 810 HB-L is sold and gone. Hobby 650 Prestige caravan for Winters in Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmac View Post
Didn't mean they necessarily left due to cost..... but its a lot easier for any of them to come back to the new format without having to re-subscribe.
Understood - but I assume you still have to "register" - so not that much "easier" ??

Cheers

Dave
post #33 of 57 (permalink) Old 26-02-2015, 23:51 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Challenger PVC
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyDave View Post
Understood - but I assume you still have to "register" - so not that much "easier" ??

Cheers

Dave
Just login again as far as I could see Dave

I use UK Pub Stopovers, but then I would

post #34 of 57 (permalink) Old 27-02-2015, 00:02

Location: Summer - Overton, Hampshire: Winter - La Manga, Spain
My Motorhome: Eura Mobil Integra 810 HB-L is sold and gone. Hobby 650 Prestige caravan for Winters in Spain
Oh - OK - so presumably the old user profile is still there and all you have to do is "wake it up again" ??

I think there will soon/shortly be 2 classes of membership

1 - free - access as now

2 - pay for - access to other areas (subs bar etc)

Can non-subscribers currently use search etc?? (assuming they can find it...)

Cheers

Dave
post #35 of 57 (permalink) Old 27-02-2015, 00:11 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Challenger PVC
Personal Aire
Advanced search is available

Although that was never a great subscriber benefit - Google the site name and the search query and results come up anyway.

I use UK Pub Stopovers, but then I would
post #36 of 57 (permalink) Old 27-02-2015, 00:41

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,017 Times in 882 Posts
Personal Aire
Maybe they will make it free for all. As you say the subs aint going to add up to much. I have a rough idea what they paid for this site and they must be expecting a shed load of revenue from ads to recoup the investment. They will only get that if there is a lot of turnover of posts and for the past few months its been pitiful.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #37 of 57 (permalink) Old 27-02-2015, 00:59

My Motorhome: Burstner Delphin Performance T821
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryd View Post
Maybe they will make it free for all. As you say the subs aint going to add up to much. I have a rough idea what they paid for this site and they must be expecting a shed load of revenue from ads to recoup the investment. They will only get that if there is a lot of turnover of posts and for the past few months its been pitiful.

Well I hope we don't get common people wanting to join.
Eastern European immigrant Motorhomers might swamp us and take our benefits.

Nil Desperandum Illegitemide Carborundum
post #38 of 57 (permalink) Old 27-02-2015, 01:06

My Motorhome: Rapido 7066DF
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyDave View Post
I think there will soon/shortly be 2 classes of membership

1 - free - access as now

2 - pay for - access to other areas (subs bar etc)
I think you're spot on there, and I doubt it will be long before they do it so all you non-subscribing folk had better get your posts in quick I reckon.

There's a lot more to consider than just the income from the subs. As has already been said, subs income is fairly insignificant, the main income is generated from guests clicking on the forum ads - guests that is, not members - when was the last time you clicked on a forum ad? Discouraging excessive posts by making a forum subs-only can also be an advantage in terms of site management costs. If the forum became ultra-busy again like it was a few years ago then it would cost more money to operate. For instance VS would have to spend a lot of time moderating it. Nuke used volunteers so it cost him very little but VS would probably have to use paid staff. A peaceful subs-only forum can get by without regular moderation as has been proved here for the past couple of years. All VS really need to do is use the vast archive of posts here to attract casual visitors (who click on ads) via Google then sit back and count the cash.

Help someone out when they're in trouble and they'll remember you when they're in trouble again.
post #39 of 57 (permalink) Old 27-02-2015, 08:46

My Motorhome: RS Endeavour
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryd View Post
Its quality not quantity that draws most to a web site, heaven forbid if this site should go down the road of others which end up with such a lot of dross posted.
peedee

The best journeys are not always in straight lines.
To read about our travels visit >this page< Latest updates 6th March 2019
post #40 of 57 (permalink) Old 27-02-2015, 12:14

My Motorhome: Rapido 9048 A class
Wel here is post from an ex subscriber.

I stopped subscribing I think around two years ago because of what I saw as infighting between members at that time. There were many examples of people asking a simple question which resulted in a reply from one member which then had argumentative replies from others and turned into a slanging match.

There were also some who would not countenance any opinion other than their own and there was, I felt, an "inner circle" of members who treated the forum as if it were their own personal forum and messaging service. They appeared to imagine they has some special kudos or deserved some special attention because they had been subscribers for a minute longer than someone else as opposed to being simply members the same as everyone else. They often turned sensible debate into extended personal banter which resulted in anyone interested in the original question going to look for some paint to dry.

That is not to say that I did not gain some useful information through MHF for which I am grateful. However, what I describe above led me to feel that quite honestly the forums weren't worth reading. I could do without backbiting and pointless argument in the guise of debate.

I have continued to look in as a non contributor since I stopped subscribing and I must say, I do think what were issues for me have improved. I like the new format and I think I might just subscribe again if things stay astray are now.

I know, of course, that probably none one gives a monkeys what I think. But I just thought that someone might be interested in the view of an outsider looking back, and perhaps forward.

It will be interesting to see what replies I get to this, as they will colour my view on whether I subscribe again or not. It might also be interesting for others who are also deciding whether to subscribe or to renew old subscriptions like me.

Last edited by iandsm; 27-02-2015 at 12:18.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page