Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/)
-   Website Help (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/17-website-help/)
-   -   Aaaand we are back! (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/17-website-help/125330-aaaand-we-back.html)

VS_Admin 20-02-2015 02:47

Aaaand we are back!

Hello Everyone,

We're proud to announce that the new site look and feel has been completed for MotorhomeFacts.com! Our designers and software engineers have been hard at work on this for several months. It's designed to modernize the site, make it easier to use, and to make it more attractive to new members and guests that visit .

The forum software we use, vBulletin, by default is not designed to be friendly to the eyes or to look modern. We went down to the nuts and bolts of the forum software and templates, and have done a ground up approach. There are several things you will notice now that the new design is live.

1) The site should be significantly faster.

We have applied every modern technique to speed up page load and tested with all modern browsers. We want the forum to be extremely fast and easy to use.

2) The site will work much better in mobile and tablet views

We've started applying responsive design, and have designed and tested against android and iPhone devices, Android tablets, and iPads. If you are sitting at your desk or on your couch, or just on your phone, the site will work much better than it did before, and load fast. We are still working on improving the experience even further in the months to come, but we wanted to launch this as quickly as we could.

3) The homepage is bright, crisp and clean.

We wanted the first page users saw to look beautiful, so that when a new guest arrives and is debating whether to join MHF, they see a beautiful doorway, and they walk right in.

As a forum member you can choose to use the new design (which is on by default) or you can go back to the old design. We ask that you give it a chance and see if you like it. Like anything new, it will be unfamiliar at first, but we suspect that the speed difference will make you want to use this new one.

4) Garages will be featured on the site

You can show off your Motorhome, You can post pictures in your garage and share it with others. Make sure you post up some images to share with the community at the link below.

https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/garage

5) Users will be able to register with Facebook, Twitter or Google+

6) The side bar can be hidden in your user options.

Click on my profile / user cp at the top right.

- click on edit your details on the left.
- Look for Show Sidebar on Forum Pages under Additional Information.
- Click disable and save.

7) Another new great feature is the @Mention user plugin. You can tag members by simply using the @ symbol.

8) Drag and Drop image uploader

We hope you enjoy it, and if you have any questions on the design, please let us know, feedback is appreciated.

If there are any issues you see. Post them up here and we will get them worked out. I know this will be a learning curve for many of you and we will do our best to help. Jeff and I will be online as much as we can the next couple of days. Please Please Please keep bug reports and notes to this thread and when you want to make sure we read a post put an @ symbol in-front of the vs_Admin username. Keeping it all in one place will help us keep a steady workflow for the bug fixes and other requests.

Thanks,

Philip

VS_Admin 20-02-2015 04:13

Hello all,

I will be on 5-6:00am CST to assist with feedback, questions, and bug reporting.

Phil is on the night shift testing permissions and settings with the conversion crew.

Jeff

VS_Admin 20-02-2015 04:41

We are now live!

Take a look around and ask any questions or feedback here.

Jeff

VS_Admin 20-02-2015 06:24

Bump!

StephandJohn 20-02-2015 07:17

Thanks Jeff. A lot of hardwork I'm sure. Looks Ok to me so far. Just takes a bit of getting used to. Have we lost the 'like' and 'thankyou' buttons and the box to tick if you want to be notified of any replies?

wakk44 20-02-2015 07:18

wakk44, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
  1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

I'll put this bug report in the right forum.Just used the permalink at the top right hand side of a post to put this in here,seems to be working well.

VS_Admin 20-02-2015 07:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by StephandJohn (Post 1249042)
Thanks Jeff. A lot of hardwork I'm sure. Looks Ok to me so far. Just takes a bit of getting used to. Have we lost the 'like' and 'thankyou' buttons and the box to tick if you want to be notified of any replies?

We can add those, there should be an @username mention tool as well. That does not appear to be turned on just yet.

I am up collecting testing date right now. Jeff will be on in a few hours to help with hot fixes. I am in EST and Jeff is in CST. Richard our hardworking tech who soldiered through this difficult and complicated conversion is in the UK but probably walked away from his computer for now since while the site was offline he was working on it.

-Philip

wakk44 20-02-2015 07:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by vs_Admin (Post 1248850)
Hello all,

I will be on 5-6:00am CST to assist with feedback, questions, and bug reporting.

Phil is on the night shift testing permissions and settings with the conversion crew.

Jeff

How do we get to the last post on a thread ?Just been on the boxer oil change thread and tried to read the most recent post by 747 and inadvertantly went on to his profile.

stevegos 20-02-2015 07:39

1 Attachment(s)
Good news.

Thanks for all your hard work.

I have noticed my date of birth has not been migrated. I set it in the profile and set to display age but its not showing in the profile on the right.

Also I made a reply on another post and was only able to edit the post once and now the edit button has vanished.

My avatar/profile pic did not show initially, only after a few refreshes.

Profile editor does appear to allow you to set up your motorhome make and model as before.

The Garage feature looks good. Would be good if it could have been called some more pertaining to Motorhome users as I doubt there's many that keep their motorhome in a garage. Perhaps "Personal Aire" or something similar?

Also Garage is a style of techno/ drum and bass music here in the UK and it looks like most of us are all Garage music fans which is what I first thought when saw it against a few profiles.

This is the first edit.

StephandJohn 20-02-2015 07:43

Can we have the drop down box to look at 'posts since you last visited' and posts going back over time i.e. you can choose how many hours to go back to - if that makes sense