Fitted Diesel Generator legalities - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 09:44 Thread Starter

Fitted Diesel Generator legalities

I have struggled with getting the Kippor in and out of the van garage long enough, lower back problems dictate stop.

I am going to have a generator built in. The garage is huge, it will be cased with proper sound proofing and ventilation and will draw its fuel from the standard vehicle tank (I run a Flair 7000i on a Fiat 2.8JtD)

It will mainly be used for wild camping or stops when TV is on, Satellite broadband and Computer is on and the living space and/or bedroom air con is on. it will also be used to power the water heater and fridge at appropriate times. Finally the microwave without an inverter

Legality question

Can I have the generator run whilst vehicle in motion so I can run the aircon and the microwave only? The installers are not sure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 10:08

The diesels that run the fridges on fridge trucks run all the time.
Whats the difference?

But why would you want to run the microwave when moving? As it would be illegal to (presumably) stand up and move around to use it.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 10:30

My Motorhome: Sold it.
Personal Aire
That is a tricky question, as to the trucks, their diesel refrigerated units are positioned outside the vehicle, so maybe there are regulations. have a wonder around google.

cabby

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 10:32

We had a petrol genny fitted in our Dethleffs that we ran while travelling for similar reasons (Aircon). I can't see any legal reason why this wouldn't be allowed.
I can see a problem if you were to run the microwave, not that that in itself would be a problem but as Stanner says walking around inside the van could be illegal.

We considered the genny option as we are staunch wild campers and use loads of 240v power. I spent hours looking into the various options, including EG20 and in the end we put almost 500W of solar panels on the roof, added extra leisure batteries and a decent inverter and never looked back. Only in the depths of Dec/Jan do we have to worry about running out of 240v power and so far even then haven't run out. We can have all the power we want without any noise and get a kick out of the fact that the Sun recharges the batteries for free.

You could look at the Efoy 1600 and an inverter if space is an issue but like us your Flair has loads of space?

Pete
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 11:47

My Motorhome: 2007 Ace Siena
Thanked 1,026 Times in 965 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Only legal issue might be the ability to turn it off in the event of an accident, so that might be why you see emergency switches on truck freezers.

I'd also run it on red diesel, why waste money.

Kev
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 11:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev_n_Liz
Only legal issue might be the ability to turn it off in the event of an accident, so that might be why you see emergency switches on truck freezers.

Kev
Point 1 - This could be handled by installing an inertia switch.

Point 2 - Yes I was thinking just the same, what is the point of a diesel generator if you then run it on full price diesel?

A better idea then would be to run the m/home off the generator tank......
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 12:13

My Motorhome: 2007 Ace Siena
Thanked 1,026 Times in 965 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev_n_Liz

Kev
Point 1 - This could be handled by installing an inertia switch.

Point 2 - Yes I was thinking just the same, what is the point of a diesel generator if you then run it on full price diesel?

A better idea then would be to run the m/home off the generator tank......
1, kill switch on external panel

2, great minds think alike

3, Not such a good idea, but an easy way of losing the MH and lots of money.

Kev.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 13:30

Well! I would normally suggest asking you

With our Winnebago the generator is designed to be use whilst travelling.

There have been many discussions before about using appliances when moving. Lyn (my wife) and I are in the camp that thinks when your times up your times up, so we have in the past prepared snacks using the microwave (we have both even showered and got ready en route when running late to friends houses )

People get all shocked about this, then happily get on a luxury coach, walk around, use the loo and go to the bar and enjoy a coffee whilst being driven around by a stranger

The Dometic range are air cooled, so not a problem, and I have never heard of anything or know anything anecdotal to suggest there is a legal problem. I have asked around in the office and no one else has heard anything negative either.

We have fitted Dometic generators for some years now and I have had one fitted to all of the European vans that we have owned over the years. Driving through the South of France with the roof A/C running, chillingly well, courtesy of the generator is an excellent way keeping cool

If you are a Van Bitz customer and have comments on your service please Leave Feedback for Van Bitz
Reviews are important to us.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 14:04

What about the problem with fumes.

If the generator is inside the habitation part of the vehicle then the fumes that it will inevitably give off will be released inside the van and could potentially be very dangerous.

If it is in an area sealed from the inside of the van then there should be no problem.

Remember CO2 is the silent killer.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 14:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldun
What about the problem with fumes.

If the generator is inside the habitation part of the vehicle then the fumes that it will inevitably give off will be released inside the van and could potentially be very dangerous.

If it is in an area sealed from the inside of the van then there should be no problem.

Remember CO2 is the silent killer.
It's CO that is the silent killer and diesels do not emit CO anyway.
I don't think the OP would be thinking about anything other than a proper sealed installation.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page