Fitted Diesel Generator legalities - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 14:25

I have used it whilst driving with no problems, the gasses are exited behind the vehicle.
Unfortunately most campsites abroad have limited amps available, and my own experience is that the A/C trips the hook up trip switches. I currently have a dometic A/C unit ( 240v) and also a dometic 130 generator built under the floor ( 2.6KW) , the unit can work on hook up when available ( subject to amps available ) and also on generator. The benefit is also that i can with a 100amp battery charger charge my leisure batteries up quickly (3x 110 amp units ), run the microwave, etc giving total independence. The Dometic generator uses a Honda engine so is totally reliable, uses a conventional car like exhaust sliencer system so is ultra quiet and uses very little fuel, also is transferable between motors, and because it lives next to the chassis out of the way is not obtrusive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 21:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanner
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldun
What about the problem with fumes.

If the generator is inside the habitation part of the vehicle then the fumes that it will inevitably give off will be released inside the van and could potentially be very dangerous.

If it is in an area sealed from the inside of the van then there should be no problem.

Remember CO2 is the silent killer.
It's CO that is the silent killer and diesels do not emit CO anyway.
I don't think the OP would be thinking about anything other than a proper sealed installation.
Of course diesel engines emit CO2 any internal combustion engine only incompletely burns the fuel. This is partly due to the inherent poor combustion process in any intermittent process and partly due to dissociation.

Any combustion process that takes place at high temperature cannot be complete. This is evident with a rocket motor. Due to the high temperature in the combustion chamber of the rocket the combustion will be far from complete. As the unburnt gases fall behind the rocket the gases will cool and combustion will continue until they are cool enough to be almost fully burnt.

In a car engine the temperature is far too high for complete combustion so when the gases leave the combustion chamber a large amount of horrible gases will exist in the exhaust (including CO).

In an "old" engine the sudden cooling effect in the exhaust pipe locked the chemical process so that the combustion process was halted leaving these unpleasant gases to flow into the atmosphere.

In a modern engine there is a catalytic converter. This has two major effects on the combustion process. Firstly it is much hotter than the normal exhaust thus allowing the combustion to continue and secondly there are catalyst present which again encourage the combustion process.

This allows the exhaust products to be much more environmentally friendly - BUT even then there will still be a small of CO present.

But even if all the exhaust products are ducted to the outside engines still emit fumes from other orifices and these are very human unfriendly.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 22:41

Send a message via AIM to CliveMott Send a message via MSN to CliveMott Send a message via Yahoo to CliveMott
I believe that the Flair has a double floor and that both floors enter the garage. The Flair also has Alde wet heating and probably includes the garage. The Alde heating system requires convected air flow from bottom to top and its prety well guaranteed that any smells in the garage will get into the habitation area. I would most definately NOT fit a generator in the garage. Get a genny fitted underslung beneath the chassis. Why diesel? If you want to run aircon then the genny will be running for some prolonged periods of time. Petrol genny;s make significantly less noise. The Dometic TEC 29 generator is specifically designed for your requirements and is my recomendation to you. We have one in our van mounted this way, it runs the aircon and the 800 watt domestic microwave no problem. But we also have an inverter to run the microwave if we wish.

C.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 23:03

Sorry perhaps that statement was just a tad too simplistic.
But nowhere did I say diesels don't emit CO2

Of course Diesels emit CO2, but less than an equivalent petrol - it's why their VED is lower.

However Diesels emit virtually no CO - it is why you cannot commit suicide with a diesel's exhaust.

Catalysts on petrols now convert most of the CO they emit to CO2 and that just means they emit even more CO2 than diesels, but it is harder to kill yourself with one these days.

What I said was - that CO2 (Carbon Dioxide) is not the "silent killer" as it just asphyixiates you slowly and consciously - you do not pass out immediately.
CO (Carbon Monoxide) is the "silent killer" because it poisons you by removing the ability of your blood to carry oxygen and you go unconscious well before you die.

http://www.osh.net/articles/archive/...2003_jan15.htm
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 23:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliveMott
I believe that the Flair has a double floor and that both floors enter the garage. The Flair also has Alde wet heating and probably includes the garage. The Alde heating system requires convected air flow from bottom to top and its prety well guaranteed that any smells in the garage will get into the habitation area. I would most definately NOT fit a generator in the garage. Get a genny fitted underslung beneath the chassis. Why diesel? If you want to run aircon then the genny will be running for some prolonged periods of time. Petrol genny;s make significantly less noise. The Dometic TEC 29 generator is specifically designed for your requirements and is my recomendation to you. We have one in our van mounted this way, it runs the aircon and the 800 watt domestic microwave no problem. But we also have an inverter to run the microwave if we wish.

C.
Clive, the problem here I believe is that the Flair 7000i is on the Fiat chassis and therefore doesn't have the same room/clearance as the Iveco and I doubt if any genny, including the TEC29 could be fitted underneath the Fiat.

For some reason N+B recommend fitting the TEC 29 in the garage however I agree with you I'd never do that. One place that may be possible on the Flair is in the double locker (if fitted) to the right of the habitation door. That utilises the double floor and inside locker space and has the height. Don't know if this is acceptable to Theiawin. You would have an even greater noise issue though as the genny would be inside with you.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 23:20 Thread Starter

I am leaning to diesel as that means only one fuel apart from the gas

I have gaslow but I can eke out gas for cooking for a 6 week tour of places with no gas pumps. If I used gas I would not be able to do so, if I used petrol I would have to carry petrol.

The idea is that there will be a new soundproofed and fireproofed locker constructed with air inlets and outlets, in the garage. That should isolate the genny and any fumes from the garage and the habitation area. The noise issue is two fold, internal Bed over garage, and external, I appreciate that diesel will be noisier than gas or petrol. The space occupied will be less than that taken by the Kippor and a 5 gallon steel gerrycan and much safer

I have dismissed EFOY for cost, and danger of the fuel (and probl;ems in buying whilst abroad) and I have dismissed solar as I already have enough crap on the roof with two satellite dishes and two aircon units.I can't see getting much runing time out of solar and say four large leisure batteries and an inverter for the aircon.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 09:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by thieawin
I have dismissed solar as I already have enough crap on the roof with two satellite dishes and two aircon units.I can't see getting much runing time out of solar and say four large leisure batteries and an inverter for the aircon.
I agree with you about the solar, knowing now that you have two aircon units on the roof.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page