36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 18:06

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchlock View Post
Thanks for all your input.
I have checked the prices for Genny's and wow, I cannot justify this expense just for a show.
I have a small van so no space for an extra battery and solar is over the top for me, (hoping to upgrade the van in the Autumn when I reach retirement age and the mortgage is paid off)
I have tried LED bulbs but they where cool white, the wife found them too harsh so went back to halogens, just ordered warm white LED's so hopefully these will suffice.
All I really want is to have light (so I can see my glass of Whiskey) and able to charge my phone and Hudl so I can listen to prerecorded MP3's and radio, don't intend to bring the TV and all the heating/oven/fridge runs on gas so not using any power.
As for the noise of Genny's, I am very conscious of disturbing others so would never run one early or late, all I try to leave behind me are footprints and even those are rare.
I think I will survive the show!
If that's all you need Barry, I'd not worry overmuch, be careful which lights are on, IE if you don't need it on...... try to run the engine, go for drive to appease the engine police.

Lose the halogens as fast as possible you can run 10 LEDs lamps for the same loss.

Heater fan???

If you have a meter, check the voltage regularly, but don't get too anal over it, I'm happy if they don't get below 12.5v for long.

As your need for an extra LB is short, you could possibly, borrow one, then it's a matter of finding a fairly safe place for it to live, under a seat perhaps, and some 4mm2 fused cable to connect it up, as you're consuming so little power, more for peace of mind really, we used to manage a couple of days with a single 85ah LB and watch TV and had a PVR running, but then we had to drive for a while to get it back up.
GMJ and GMJ like this.

Last edited by Pudsey_Bear; 08-03-2016 at 18:13.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 18:30

My Motorhome: Hymer B584
You should be able to buy a second hand Honda EU 10i for £300 (will retain that value) and as has been said they get very little use. You'll probably find that the weight of 2 x solar panels (you would need 2 in the winter) and an extra battery will weigh a lot more than a geny and unlike solar the Honda generator is bullet proof, always there when you need it.

Everyone has different requirements and you have to work out what combination will work best for you.

Cheers
Bill
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 19:16

To be quire honest, solar and genies, both have their uses, obviously solar is preferable, but sometimes it just does not do the job, and the only thing that will is a genny
Just as well I am not politically correct, as genius are well out of favour, but guess what, I will always have one, just for that odd moment when nothing else will do, unless of course, you are on hook up, which we very early do!
Roll on Nuke power
Than you get the anti genny brigade, who run engines, to charge the battery and pollute even more!
jo662 and jo662 like this.

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 19:28

My Motorhome: Hymer B504 on Ducato 2.8jtd
Personal Aire
I posted while back about a new range of gennies from Wolf.

Honda are the benchmark for quality but if I were in the market for one for occasional use then I would think the Genie 950 might be worth checking out....

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/mo...-of-the-bottle

pete
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 19:29

My Motorhome: Rapido 7066DF
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by tugboat View Post
I was at the Shepton show last September and you could have EHU there, that's why I asked.
The Shepton shows are traditionally at the start or end of the season when weather is cooler. As a result they have always made arrangements for a local contractor to supply hook-ups to campers. The show organisers do not provide the hook-ups they're arranged between the clubs and the electrical contractor - at a cost. MHF make special arrangements in advance to have hook-ups available which are paid for directly to the contractor.
Some other early or late shows (Romsey for instance) can provide hook-ups (from large generators BTW) by prior arrangement.

Quote:
How do the traders at these outdoor shows obtain their power to satisfy their requirements?
Quite simple, the organisers always provide power to trade areas - usually at eye-watering cost.
chasper and chasper like this.

Help someone out when they're in trouble and they'll remember you when they're in trouble again.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 21:03

My Motorhome: Carthago C - Tourer T 150
Personal Aire
I will be at Peterboro' from Thursday onwards, you are more than welcome to borrow my Generator for a top up. There will be plenty of people using them, it's normal practice at shows.

Colin
scottie, scottie, barryd and 5 others like this.

Sometimes it is better to stay silent and just let people think you are stupid, rather than open your mouth and prove that you are.
The Following User Says Thank You to camoyboy For This Useful Post:
bognormike (09-03-2016)
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 21:11

My Motorhome: Swift Bessacarr E460
Send a message via MSN to LadyJ Send a message via Yahoo to LadyJ Send a message via Skype™ to LadyJ
Barry I wouldn't worry too much there is bound to be some one from mhf there with a genny
just ask if you can borrow it for a couple of hours, might be a good idea to take a can of petrol with
you though as this shows your not a scrounger lol.

Jacquie

Edit Colin beat me to it lol
scottie and scottie like this.

Jacquie & John
The social Butterflies flitting from place to place with 3 Yorkie terrorists & a Jack Russell
http://s332.photobucket.com/albums/m...johns-dogs.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page