Kipor IG2000 running gas - is this feasible? - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 20:34 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Hobby750 FMse
Kipor IG2000 running gas - is this feasible?

I'm thinking of putting a large metal box on the rear of the motorhome.

If I put a box on the back, I could ask for a separate 'gas locker' in one corner with its own door and put the Kipor genny in there. Line it with Kingspan 6mm insulation on all sides and make a series of vents (top, front, bottom) for air.

I will be fitting an underslung gas tank so want the Kipor gas genny to be a permanent fixture in its own locker.

Does that sound plausible or do these genny's need to be outside in the open to work?

This is my way of avoiding spending three grand on a Telair genny.

Will it work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 21:01

I was going to get one but there are no manufactured for gas one's available are there ? I only found conversions from petrol. Your genny may have to be in open air for cooling. It's a good question because they're in a suitcase enclosure as built

Edit..Kipor site has manual downloads David. Max ambient operating temp is 45 deg c. It'll reach that in no time in a box. The box might reach 45 deg in summer itself. Exhaust can't be modified or extended so no way to clear fumes
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 22:26 Thread Starter

You're correct. The gas genny I have been looking at is a petrol conversion. It's an IG2000

I like wild camping. I dont think I'd get away with having a genny chugging away outside the van in some of the places I've stopped without seriously upsetting the natives!

Is there anything else could consider?

1. Its got to be gas
2. Its got to live inside the motorhome (or rear box)
3. Its got to be quiet

Telair fit the bill on all fronts apart from cost.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 00:10

My Motorhome: 2001 Benimar 6000sl on Ducato 2.8JTD
I've seen several Spanish motorhomes with exactly this setup - a box on the rear rack, or bolted to the back of the MH with a genny inside it, permanently hooked up. Just start it up any time you need it.......

Here in Spain, there ain't the same anal approach to laws or H & S that there is in the UK.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 00:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNomad
I've seen several Spanish motorhomes with exactly this setup - a box on the rear rack, or bolted to the back of the MH with a genny inside it, permanently hooked up. Just start it up any time you need it.......

Here in Spain, there ain't the same anal approach to laws or H & S that there is in the UK.
Until it comes to A Framing! :P
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 08:05 Thread Starter

So they run OK in a box?

I didnt see a H&S issue, I thought the problem would be air intake and cooling while its running in an enclosed space which would damage the genny or amplify noise.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 08:15 Thread Starter

So they run OK in a box?

I didnt see a H&S issue, I thought the problem would be air intake and cooling while its running in an enclosed space which would damage the genny or amplify noise.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 08:56

My Motorhome: Mercedes 614D
Personal Aire
The cooling and combustion air needs for any air-cooled engine are much more when put in an enclosure, as you have radiated heat from the exhaust to get rid of as well as the normal cooling air that is driven by the fan on the flywheel.

The problem is that to get any volume of air in and out of the box you are going to need air vents, and you'll find that they will amplify internal noise far more than you would expect. Sounds strange but true.

When I was in the Film & TV lighting industry we had some VW and Onan gensets, both of which were soundproofed. The Onans were properly ventilated with labrynth sound channels to allow plenty of air but cut down the noise.

The VW sets were not as well done and would not give their rated output inside their enclosure, but would immediately run at full load outside of it.

The other thing to remember is that hot air is a higher volume than the volume of cool air, so the output vents have to be bigger than the inlets.

Peter
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 09:25

Hey up.

I have had my Honda Genny converted to run on gas from the under slung tank and it works fine, it is housed in the gas locker where the gas bottles used to live..

Now comes the part where you were on about ventilation.. The Genny and the compartment get very warm even though the Genny has a stainless steel exhaust that guides all the combustion fumes away to the outside, the Genny itself gets hot even with the front gas locker door fully open, if the wind is blowing into the locker it's fine but if it is on the leeward side of the van it does get warm..

I have my Genny on a long hose that can be run outside if needed as a normal Genny, it just stands on the ground at the side of the van so all options are covered, and as far as I know once they are converted to gas they are not dual fuel and will only work on gas, and will need converting back to petrol if you go back down that route..

So if you intend putting your generator in an enclosed box, even one with ventilation it will be a recipe for disaster as it will overheat.. It will like mine need to be fully open to get as much cooling air in as possible or it will recirculate the existing hot air round it and get hotter and hotter.

Solve the cooling factor and you will be pleased, putting it on a box at the back of the van, well...

So that is the problems we have come across with our installation, hope that helps.

ray

Just watching a shifty looking geezer in the library searching intently through the 'S' section of the dictionary, he's stopped now.

I think he's up to something. . .. . . ray......
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 09:50

My Motorhome: 2001 Benimar 6000sl on Ducato 2.8JTD
Quote:
Originally Posted by teemyob
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNomad

Until it comes to A Framing! :P

Aah, but it ain't specifically A-framing in Spain that's illegal at all; it's towing one road vehicle with another on any public road, which has always been illegal in Spain.

Once you've convinced the Guardia Civil Trafico offciers who pull you over to very heavily fine you/make you uncouple/impound the car, that the car he can plainly see you towing with your motorhome isn't actually a car at all but has somehow magically become a trailer because there's a bit of metal bracket bolted to the front of it, despite it's car engine, car drivetrain, car seats, car design, car purpose, car logbook, car tax, car wipers, car wing mirrors, car homologation certificate; you'll have no problems at all here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page