Noisekiller blanket for Dometic TEC 29 generators. It helps? - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 11:54 Thread Starter

Noisekiller blanket for Dometic TEC 29 generators. It helps?

Hello everybody,

while browsing the net looking for a way to reduce my Dometic TEC 29 generator noise, I came across this product:

http://www.noisekillergb.com/product...asp?ItemID=124

which is

or

My purpose is to use my generator, eventually in auto mode, also to keep my batteries charged without the need of installing a solar panel, solution that, at least in Italy, is very popular. Obviously, if I rely solely on my TEC 29, it could be turned on while in the surroundings there're other RV.

So, taking into account the obvious etiquette while using a generator, in order to minimize disturb for others, I was wondering if, in your opinion, this could be a possible solution to reduce at least the generator engine noise without causing overheating. Being a British product, maybe some of you already have it or have a similar solution and want to share his/her experiences/opinion on it.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 14:09

Send a message via MSN to DSL2
Mmmm can't really see that's going to help very much as most of the noise signature is coming from the exhaust.

Do you have the secondary remote silencer fitted to yours as without that they are way too noisy?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 16:13 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL2
Mmmm can't really see that's going to help very much as most of the noise signature is coming from the exhaust.

Do you have the secondary remote silencer fitted to yours as without that they are way too noisy?
I do have the secondary remote silencer fitted. I don't think my TEC 29 is any noisier than other similar generators, I was just trying to make it even quitter.

I am aware that most of the noise come from the exhaust as well as the air in-take, maybe this blanket could help to reduce noise and vibrations coming directly from the generator box.....

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 14-05-2014, 11:52

If all that you are going to use a generator for is to recharge your batteries, I would suggest you fit one or two solar panels to the roof. I have just one and it recharges my battery bank in no time on any day that there is any sun on it at all. Last weekend it was chucking out over 4 amps. If you are going to be using it in Italy, you have no problem at all.

Solar panels are zero maintenance, except for an occasional clean, and totally silent. Generators can be an expensive pain. I've just spent 990 to get my built in Dometic back working again.

Generators used only for battery recharging never come off idle. That is not good in the long term. Generators must be used regularly under enough load to get the main jets working. There is lots on this elsewhere.

Generators are also heavy, even the lightest ones, compared with a solar panel. They require regular oil changes and if you do get one, make sure you know where there is a reliable repair agent that you can use, that specifically services and repairs that make. Dometic repair men are rarer than rocking horse doo, but very nice chaps when you do find one.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 14-05-2014, 14:01

My Motorhome: Hymer exsis-i 562 (Ford)
The sound proofing blankets I've seen involve 1 or 2 sheets of lead, and as such are extrmely heavy. Is your genny air or water cooled? If air, you probably wouldn't be able to put a blanket over it anyway.

Malcolm
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 14-05-2014, 17:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjaiuk
The sound proofing blankets I've seen involve 1 or 2 sheets of lead, and as such are extrmely heavy. Is your genny air or water cooled? If air, you probably wouldn't be able to put a blanket over it anyway.

Malcolm
had a look at the site and found this quote from them to support you Malcolm
"An engine blanket is a product designed to get as close as possible to the noise source (i.e. the engine!) to reduce the sound immediately. It comprises of a layer of lead, inside two layers of open cell acoustic foam with a high temperature fortaglass outer material capable of withstanding temperatures of up to 350⁰. Brass eyelets are inserted in all four corners and releasable cable ties supplied for fixing in position."

Andy

I remove my built in genny to heavy and solar panel made redundant.

Andy

There are no typing, spelling, or grammatical errors in my post. What you are seeing is the evolution of the English language in action.
This post may be unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humour or irrational religious beliefs,if you are please disregard the above post. Andy
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 14-05-2014, 18:54

My Motorhome: Rapido 7066DF
Personal Aire
If you just want it to charge batteries it's a complete no-brainer.

Fit a solar panel - no noise, no heavy weights to carry, no smelly fuel to carry, no smelly exhaust, no fuel costs, installation cost not much more than you'd pay for a blanket.

Defeats me why anyone lugs gennies around nowadays, except possibly for winter power supplement or to power essential medical equipment.

Help someone out when they're in trouble and they'll remember you when they're in trouble again.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 14-05-2014, 18:59

Or EFOY!

http://www.efoy.com/

TM
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 13-01-2018, 02:59

My Motorhome: I drive...
I have one over my Onan generator and it works, reduces noise greatly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maomig View Post
Hello everybody,

while browsing the net looking for a way to reduce my Dometic TEC 29 generator noise, I came across this product:

http://www.noisekillergb.com/product...asp?ItemID=124

which is

or

My purpose is to use my generator, eventually in auto mode, also to keep my batteries charged without the need of installing a solar panel, solution that, at least in Italy, is very popular. Obviously, if I rely solely on my TEC 29, it could be turned on while in the surroundings there're other RV.

So, taking into account the obvious etiquette while using a generator, in order to minimize disturb for others, I was wondering if, in your opinion, this could be a possible solution to reduce at least the generator engine noise without causing overheating. Being a British product, maybe some of you already have it or have a similar solution and want to share his/her experiences/opinion on it.

Thank you
I purchased two of these noise killer blankets a few years ago for my motorhome, placed one over my Isuzu truck engine which made a massive difference to noise levels in the cab and one over my Onan generator and it works, reduces noise greatly, well worth the cost IMO.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page